Amos Stanton, Sr.

62

Matches

1 0 61
Adds more complete birth place, more complete death place, burial place, residence, sibling(s), spouse(s) and child(ren).

View Amos Stanton, Sr.'s complete profile:

  • See if you are related to Amos Stanton, Sr.
  • Request to view Amos Stanton, Sr.'s family tree

Share

Amos Stanton, Sr.

Birthplace: Stockbridge, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
Death: Died in Syracuse, Onondaga County, New York, United States
Immediate Family:

Son of Samuel Stanton; Rebecca Stanton and Rebecca Stanton
Husband of Mary Stanton
Father of Mercy Waterman; Roswell Stanton; Amos Stanton, Jr.; Isaac Stanton, Sr.; Sally Loomis and 9 others
Brother of <private> Stavens (Stanton); <private> Stanton; <private> Stanton and <private> Stanton

Managed by: Private User
Last Updated:

About Amos Stanton, Sr.

Amos Stanton is a decesendant of Thomas Stanton, the immigrant, born 1616 in England.

Amos Stanton is said to have been born in Connecticut in 1740, and to have lived on Long Island Sound.

In 1771 he was in Great Barrington, Berkshire county, Mass., and, as appears in a deed, was of Lee, Mass., in 1772.

In 1784 he moved to Mayville, Montgomery county, N. Y.; subsequently (in 1791) he moved to Jamesville, Onondaga county, N. Y., and thence to Syracuse, N. Y., in 1805, where he died Aug. 14, 1806. He was buried first at Salino Cemetery, but afterward moved to Oakwoods Cemetery, Syracuse.

His wife was Mercy Davis, who was said to have a brother Isaac Davis; she born in 1746, and died Sept. 17, 1814.

Mr. Stanton was a short, thick-set man, with light hair and blue eyes.

Source: Copied from the Genealogy library database.

The Descendants of THOMAS STANTON, SR.

THE HISTORIC ORIGIN OF THE STANTON FAMILY.

In chapter ii, part iii, the origin, orthography and meaning of the name is discussed. It must be borne in mind that in different ages and in different parts of England the name has been and is now spelled in different ways. In the genealogical part of this book I have adhered to the oldest and simplest spelling. In the historical parts I have spelled it as I have found it in the sources of my authority. The reader must not therefore be surprised to find variations, and he must bear in mind that Stantons and Stauntons are the same.

The historic origin of Stantons in England was in the time of William the Conqueror and in the southeastern corner of Nottinghamshire and the northern end of Leicestershire. There lived Sir Malgerus (another spelling is Mauger) Lord of Stanton. He seems to have been a Saxon and nothing is known of his ancestry. Five miles southeast of this lordship was Belvoir and the early history of the Stantons has such close association with Belvoir castle that we must now know something of the history of that castle.

Leland thinks that the first owner and builder of the castle was Robert de Todeni who died about 1088 A. D. It is certain that Belvoir has been the site of a castle since the Norman conquest. From Todeni it passed to Albencius, from him to Ros and from Ros to Manners, the present owners. In the latter part of the 15th century it had fallen into great decay and was repaired by the Earl of Rutland whose family name was Ros. In 1816 a fire destroyed a large portion of the ancient part of the castle. A full history of this castle can be found in Timb's "Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales. Timb says, "It is one of the most elegant, castellated structures in the kingdom, in many respects resembling majestic Windsor." Its builder, Robert de Todeni, was a great lord; he had fourscore lordships and some of them by uninterrupted succession continue to be the property of the Duke of Rutland. Nine of these lordships were over the county line in Northampton, among them was the Stanton Lordship. When William the Conqueror attacked Belvoir Castle its stronghold, the tower, was successfully defended by Sir Malgerus, Lord of Staunton. When William was firmly seated on the throne he had won he allowed the Lord of Staunton to keep possession of the lands he had so nobly defended and he and his descendants have ever since held the Lordship of Staunton "by tenure of Castle Guard." This lordship is seven miles from Newark and five miles from Belvoir. It is said to have been in the possession of a family of the name of Stanton or Staunton for more than 1,300 years. If that be true then it was the family estate for 500 years before the days of William and Malgerus.

The date thus fixed would be about 500 A. D. or contemporaneous with the Saxons' conquest of the Britons. The inference therefore is that the family came into Britain with the Saxons.

To return however to Belvoir Castle; the tower defended by Sir Malgerus of Stanton against William of Normandy has ever since been known as Staunton Tower. In this century there have been two royal visitors at the castle. King George IV, then Prince Regent, visited it in 1814 and in 1843 Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort were there. Upon each of these occasions the ceremony of presenting the key of Staunton Tower to the Sovereign was observed by Rev. Dr. Stanton. He offered it upon a velvet cushion and to him it was afterward graciously returned.

The Stanton Arms were derived from Albini or Albencius who received the castle from Todeni.

The arms of Albini of Belvoir were a shield with a gold back-ground upon which were two chevrons and a red border. He gave to the Lord of Stanton a shield with a silver back-ground upon which were two black chevrons within a curved or indented black border.

Later a helmet crest was adopted and was a fox standing and of the natural color.

There are two mottoes. One, below the arms, is "En Dieu ma foy" (In God my faith); the other, above the crest, is "Moderata durant" (Moderate acquisitions are lasting).

The arms thus described are to be found in Burke's Heraldic Illustrations and are now borne by the Stauntons of Longebridge, who are a branch of the Stauntons of Staunton in Nottingham. As this is undoubtedly the basis of all Stanton Arms and represents the original family it will be of interest to reproduce it here.

THE STANTON (STAUNTON) ARMS.

Arms: Argent, two cheverons sable within a bordure engrailed the same.

Crest: Fox statant proper.

Mottoes: Below the arms, "En Dieu ma foy."

        Above the crest, "Moderata durant."

Burke's "Landed Gentry" (edition 1858) is my authority for the following outline of the Stauntons of Staunton.

Malgerus' son and heir was Galfridus de Stanton who m. Beatrice de Muschamp and had Sir William, whose wife was Atheline de Musters. Their son was Sir Geoffery, his, Sir William who m. Isabel Kirketon and d. in 1326. These five were all Knights. The next one was Sir Geoffery de Staunton who was Sheriff of Nottingham. Soon after this the "de" was dropped and when we come to later times we find the heir to be Colonel William Staunton of Staunton who served in the army of Charles I and who married Anne Waring. His son was Harvey Staunton, Esq., "who was the last male heir of this ancient family after a continued male succession of five hundred years. Harvey's daughter and heiress was Anne Staunton who m. Gilberto Charlton Esq. Their son and heir was Job Staunton Charlton who m. Mary Greenwood and whose daughter and heiress was Anne Staunton19 Charlton. In 1703 she married Rev. J. Aspinshaw, LL. D., rector of Elton Supermontem. In 1807 he, with wife and children, assumed by Royal License the surname and arms of Staunton. Their son and heir was Henry Charlton Staunton of Staunton Hall in 1858.

This is undoubtedly the original Stanton family. From them have sprung numerous branches. In the 15th century a Sir George Stanton went from this family to Ireland and became the progenitor of a numerous Irish posterity.

The following from the Boston (Mass.) Pilot of May 5, 1888, shows a still earlier departure into Ireland:

"In England the name de Staunton dates from the Norman conquest, while in Ireland it appeared with the English invasion. In 1220 Adam de Staunton granted lands to Christ Church, Dublin, and in 1373, in a summons to a great council to meet in Cork, Milo Staunton and Daniel Fitz-Thomas Roche were returned for County Cork. The attainders of 1691 include one Patrick Stanton, Great Island, County Cork."

Another branch of the Stauntons of Staunton settled in Warwick Co. prior to 1450 and bore the arms of the Nottingham family. Their hall is at Longbridge, a few miles from the city of Warwick and they are known as

THE STAUNTONS OF LONGBRIDGE:

This family as a distinct branch runs thus: Thomas, John, Thomas, John, Thomas, Humphrey, John, John, John, John, William, John, William, the heir in 1858.

Let us look a little into some interesting facts concerning John Staunton of Longbridge. He m. Elizabeth dau. of Townsend of Wales, they, had three sons and two daughters. The eldest son was Thomas. Thomas had a daughter Judith6 Stanton who married Shakespere's friend and patron Hamnet Sadler. Shakespere's twin children, Judith and Hamnet, were named for Hamuet Sadler and his wife Judith6 Stanton. Sadler was a subscriber to Shakespere's will and was bequeathed a mourning ring.

See also in The Life of Wm. Shakespere (Duyckinck edition, p. xxvi) further reference to Mr. Staunton of Longbridge House and to Thomas Stanton, the English sculptor, as sculptor of Shakespere's bust in the church at Stratford upon Avon placed there between 1616 and 1623.

An interesting description of this bust will also be found in Irving's Sketch Book.

It was in 1576, at the time of the above John Stanton, that another son of his moved to Wolverton between Warwick city and Stratford on Avon. He m. Mary Padsey and had five children. The eldest of these was Thomas6 Stanton who 30th July, 1616, m. Katherine dau. of Walter Washington of Radway, and had Thomas, b. 1616 in Wolverton, who is thought by Baldwin to be the Thomas Stanton who came to America in 1635. This Wolverton branch became extinct in the male line during the first half of the 18th century and the estate reverted to John10 Staunton of Longbridge who was born in 1704 and died in 1748.

The last known record of said Thomas Stanton b. 1616 in Wolverton, Warwick Co., Eng., is to be found on p. 277 of the Visitation of the County of Warwick in the year 1619. Taken by William Camden, Clarencieux King of Arms. (Harl. Mss.

Thomas Stanton, of Stonington, embarked at London, Eng., Jan. 2, 1635, in the merchantman Bonaventura. He went first to Virginia and then to Boston. In 1637, he settled in Hartford, Conn., where he married ANN LORD, daughter of Dr. Thomas and Dorothy Lord of Hartford.

In 1650 he established a trading house in Stonington, Conn., on the Pawcatuck river. His family lived in New London for a few years until finally their permanent residence came to be on the Pawcatuck. Thomas died Dec. 2, 1676. Ann, his wife, died in 1688. They had ten children.

More about Thomas Stanton:

Thomas STANTON arrived at Fort Saybrook in April 1637, and served under Major-General John MASON in the Pequot War. According to Deforest in his HISTORY OF CONNECTICUT, Thomas STANTON's services as interpreter during this war were invaluable. Special mention was made of his bravery in the battle of Fairfield Swamp, where he nearly lost his life.

Thomas STANTON married, 1637, at Hartford, Connecticut to Ann LORD (1614-1688), dau. of Thomas and Dorothy (BIRD) LORD (who came in the ship "Elizabeth and Ann, 19 April 1635, and were of Thomas HOOKER's company, who settled Hartford in 1637).

Thomas STANTON was the first man who joined William CHESEBROUGH in his settlement at Stonington, Connecticut.

Thomas STANTON was appointed official interpreter for the general court at Hartford, 5 April 1638, and at the same session was sent with others on a mission to the Warranocke Indians and as a delegate to an Indian-English council meeting at Hartford. He was interpreter for the Yorkshire (England) colonists at New Haven, 24 November 1638, when the land on which the city of New Haven is located was bought from the Indians. Caulkins, in her history of New London County says: "On the Pawkutuck River, the first white inhabitant was Thomas STANTON. His trading house was probably coeval with the farming operations of CHESEBOROUGH (at Wequetoequock Cove), but as a fixed resident with a fireside and family, he was later upon the ground. He himself appears to have been always upon the wing, yet always within call. He was required to be present wherever a court , conference or treaty was to be held. Never, perhaps, did the acquisition of a barbarous language give to a man such immediate, wide-spread and lasting importance. From the year 1636, when he was WINTHROP's interpreter with the Nahantic sachem, to 1670 when UNCAS visited him with a train of warriors and captains to get him to write his will, his name is connected with almost every Indian transaction on record."

In February, 1639, Thomas STANTON and his father-in-law, Thomas LORD, were settled in Hartford, Connecticut, coming there soon after the colony of Rev. Thomas HOOKER, who established the town.

Thomas STANTON was an Indian Trader as early as 1642 when, with his brother-in-law, Richard LORD, he made a voyage to Long Island to trade and collect old debts. He had the grant of a monopoly of trading with the Indians at Pawcatuck and along the river of that name. He built a trading house there and about 1651 removed to Pequot, and in 1658 occupied his permanent residence at Stonington

After the signing of the Articles of Confederation between the New England Colonies, in 1643, Thomas STANTON was selected as Interpreter-General of New England, and acted in almost every transaction with the Indians.

On 12 October 1643, Richard LORD (1611/12-1662), son of Thomas and Dorothy (BIRD) LORD, engaged his brother-in-law, Thomas STANTON, in a quarrel about trading for Indian corn. He used very threatening language, and drew his sword, but before he could use it he was arrested and fined five pounds by the Hartford Court. It would be interesting to know how Mr. STANTON conducted himself in this little disagreement, but we only know that the Court Record makes no case against him.

Thomas STANTON was appointed the official Connecticut Indian Interpreter on 25 January 1649. His yearly salary was set at $25, with the right to erect a trading house on the Pawcatuck River, and 6 acres of planting gound, and a monopoly of trade with the Indians for three years.

John WINTHROP, Jr., in February 1649, with Thomas STANTON as interpreter, met with NINIGRET, Narragansett sachem at Wequatucket for a conference on trade and boundaries. - William Haynes, STONINGTON CHRONOLOGY (1976), pp.11, passim.

"The Narragansett and Niantic Indians broke their pledge of peace at the first opportunity. They failed to furnish the wampum they had agreed to pay, and hired bands of Pocomtocks and Mohawks to assist them in their war of extermination agaist the Mohegans. The governor sent Thomas STANTON to Pocomtock, at the head of a deputation that found the Indians armed, and waiting for their Mohawk allies. The stern threats of STANTON, that the English would avenge any wrong that UNCAS suffered, had the desired effect; and, the Mohawks failed to come, the Narragansetts gave up these plans of war, although they injured and wontonly destroyed a large amount of property in Rhode Island." - Elias B. Sanford's A HISTORY OF CONNECTICUT.

More about Thomas Stanton:

Thomas Stanton was born in England 30 Jul 1616. Thomas died 2 Dec 1676 Stonington, Conn, at 60 years of age.

He married Ann Lord Hartford, Conn., 1637. Ann was born. Ann was the daughter of Dr. Thomas Lord and Dorothy Bird. Ann died 1688 Stonington, Conn. She was baptized 18 Sep 1614. Religion:. Stanton Garner in his history of the Berry family indicates that Ann was born ca 1615 in Towchester, Northton, England. His source is not cited.

He emigrated, 2 Jan 1635. Point of origin: England. And from Virginia traveled to Boston, in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, apparently to join the Puritan congregation at New Town (later Cambridge).

He resided in Newtown (Cambridge), Massachusetts autumn 1635. Sixty disafffected members of the congregation in New Town, Massachusetts Bay colony, moved to what is now known as Connecticut, establishing another New Town there. In 1636, under the leadership of Thomas Hooker and Samuel Stone, nearly all of the remaining parishioners moved from New Town, Massachusetts to New Torn, Connecticut, and Thomas Stanton may have come with these if he did not come with the first group. At this time Connecticut was not a colonly, only a group of settlements until 1667. The following year, 1637, they renamed their new settlement "Hartford," after Stone's english home, Hertford. In 1650 he established a trading house in Stonington, Conn., on the Pawcatuck river. His family lived in New London for a few years until finally their permanent residence came to be on the Pawcatuck.

view all 23

Amos Stanton, Sr.'s Timeline

1739
February 26, 1739
Stockbridge, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1763
1763
Age 23
Of Tyringham, Brkshr, MA
1764
October 8, 1764
Age 25
Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1766
1766
Age 26
Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1768
May 27, 1768
Age 29
Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1770
January 8, 1770
Age 30
Stockbridge, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1772
1772
Age 32
Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1774
June 17, 1774
Age 35
Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1776
April 6, 1776
Age 37
Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Province of Massachusetts
1778
July 2, 1778
Age 39
Great Barrington, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, United States