Andrew Gardner's Top 9 Matches
About Andrew Gardner Coffin
Andrew Gardner son of Gorham and Rebecca Mitchell Coffin was born at Nantucket September 4 1816 died July 31 1897 As a boy he went round the world in one of his father's ships and was away four years At the age of twenty or twenty one he came to New York and engaged as a clerk in an insurance office and an importing concern and finally engaged in the wholesale drug business In 1852 he put a stock of drugs on a vessel and sailed for San Francisco and engaged in the drug business Later he joined the firm of Redington & Company and came to New York as the purchasing and shipping agent of the firm which business exists today having been incorporated in New York in 1907 under the name of Coffin Redington Company He continued with this firm until he retired from active work He married first Elizabeth M born March 14 1817 died January 10 1856 daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Sherwood second Sarah died August 1880 daughter of Chandler Pierson
of Avon New York Children Isaac Sherwood of whom further; Elizabeth Rebecca born September 9 1850 Grace child by second marriage born June 6 1859
National Register #01000028 Coffin-Redington Building 301 Folsom Street and 300 Beale Street Built 1937
The Coffin-Redington Drug Company, founded in 1849, was the first and oldest pharmaceutical company in the west. It was also the first wholesale drug house in San Francisco, and by 1870, it was larger than all similar firms combined in California or San Francisco.
The Coffin-Redington Building was constructed in 1936-1937, almost a century later, to house the company's headquarters, laboratory, manufactury, warehousing, and shipping.
The location was chosen because of its proximity to the new San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge completed in 1936. The company's previous headquarters was demolished to make way for construction of the Transbay Terminal, a new transit center connected to the bridge by a series of looping ramps to facilitate speedy loading and unloading of commuter trains and buses.
The new site was also close to the Beltline Railway along the San Francisco waterfront and the vast railroad network provided by Southern Pacific, owners of much of the land east of the Coffin-Redington property.