|Birthplace:||Avondale, Ayrshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Ochiltree, Ayrshire, Scotland|
Son of Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Avandale and Margaret Stewart
|Managed by:||Gerald Allen Brasington|
Matching family tree profiles for Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree
About Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree
From Darryl Lundy's Peerage page on Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree:
Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree 
- M, #25178,
- d. 1548
- Last Edited=6 Oct 2012
- Consanguinity Index=0.1%
Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree was the son of Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Avandale and Margaret Kennedy.
He married Margaret Hamilton, daughter of James Hamilton, 1st Earl of Arran and Beatrix Drummond, circa 22 August 1515.
He died in 1548.
- He succeeded to the title of 2nd Lord Avandale [S., 1500] on 9 September 1513.
- He held the office of Master Usher of the Kings Chamber in 1524.
- He held the office of Sheriff of of Dunbartonshire in 1527.
- He was created 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree [Scotland] on 15 March 1542/43, after exchanging his feudal barony of Avandale with Sir James Hamilton of Finnart for that of Ochiltree.,
Children of Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree and Margaret Hamilton
- 1. Isabel Stewart 
- 2. Andrew Stewart, 2nd Lord Stewart of Ochiltree+ b. a 1521, d. 21 Mar 1601/2
- 3. Walter Stewart  b. a 1522
- 1. [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume X, page 3. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2. [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 2768. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 3. [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 222.
From his Wikipedia page:
Andrew Stewart, 2nd Lord Avondale or Andrew Stuart, 1st Lord Ochiltree, (died 1549), Scottish peer.
Andrew's father was the 1st Lord Avondale of a new creation, Andrew surrendered his title for a new investment as Lord Ochiltree. His seat became Ochiltree Castle in Ayrshire. The original Avondale lands were purchased or exchanged with James Hamilton of Finnart. He exchanged his lands at East Wemyss (which came from his wife or father) with Ochiltree, which belonged to the Comptroller, James Colville. In August 1534, Finnart made the exchange with Lord Avondale for the barony of Avandale. Andrew was confirmed as Lord Avondale by Regent Arran, Finnart's half-brother, on 12 March 1543.
Andrew attended Parliaments in 1524 and 1525. When James V first assumed power by escaping from the Douglas family and joining his mother at Stirling Castle, Avondale was one of eight lords and earls who came to advise them. Margaret Tudor noted they had not kept court since the murder of the Earl of Lennox in 1526. Avondale also accompanied James to Edinburgh in July 1528, and attended the September parliament.
'Lord Ochiltree,' probably Andrew, sat on the trial that condemned Janet Douglas, Lady Glamis for treason on 8 July 1537.
Andrew married Margaret Hamilton, a daughter of James Hamilton, 1st Earl of Arran, Their children included Andrew Stewart, 2nd Lord Ochiltree father of Margaret who married John Knox, and the soldier and politician James, who became Earl of Arran and dominated Scottish politics after the Ruthven regime until his fall in 1585. When Margaret married Knox in 1563, the marriage angered Mary, Queen of Scots, because she was of "the blood and name".
Andrew's brother was created Henry Stewart, 1st Lord Methven on his marriage to the King's mother Margaret Tudor. Another brother James was made Captain of Doune Castle and Forester of Glenfinglas and Menteith on 14 July 1528. James's son became James Stewart, 2nd Earl of Moray
- 1. ^ Cameron, Jamie, James V, Tuckwell (1998), 198.
- 2. ^ Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland: RPS Project; title confirmed 15 March 1543.
- 3. ^ Cameron, Jamie, James V, Tuckwell (1998), 21, 25.
- 4. ^ Acts of the Parliaments of Scotland: RPS Project; trial narrated 10 December 1540
- 5. ^ Register of the Great Seal, 1513-1546, HM General Register House, (1883), nos. 37, 245.
- 6. ^ Bain, Joseph, ed., Calendar of State Papers Scotland, vol.2 (1900), 54.
- 7. ^ Register of the Great Seal, 1513-1546, HM General Register House (1883), no.612.
This (Wikipedia) page was last modified on 26 October 2013 at 00:59.
Andrew Stewart, 1st Lord Stewart of Ochiltree's Timeline
Avondale, Ayrshire, Scotland
Ochiltree, Ayrshire, Scotland