Historical records matching Ann Robertson Forbes
About Ann Forbes (Robertson)
Ann Robertson Forbes (1833 - 1904) - Ann Robertson, daughter of William Robertson and Johanna Kerr (born 22 November 1783 Scotland), was born 5 January 1833 at Leith, Midlothian, Scotland; she died at the age of 71 on 28 May 1904 at Bee Rock Ranch, San Luis Obispo County, California, and was buried at San Miguel District Cemetery, San Miguel, San Luis Obispo County, California. She married John Mitchell Forbes (born 1824), son of William Forbes (c1796 - c1891) and Catherine Mitchell (1789 - 1859), on 23 July 1855 at Leith, Edinborough, Scotland. Their wedding license lists her as a "spinster"; this did not mean that she was unmarried, as it would today, it meant that she derived income from spinning wool.
John and Ann Forbes emigrated to the United States in 1855 immediately after their wedding, possibly aboard the Cynosure arriving 5 September 1855. This is the only arrival in NYC that fits with John and Ann's ages, date of marriage, and birth of their son, William; however, the passenger list shows John's wife as 'Mary'.
Family history says that John Mitchell Forbes was notified of a Scottish inheritance and had to go to Canada to claim it. He was never heard from again. According to the autobiography written by his son, Charles Robertson Forbes, this happened around 1874, when Charles was eleven years old.
Children of John and Ann Forbes
- William Dindas Forbes (born 15 June 1856 New York City, New York)
- John Mitchell Forbes, Jr. (born 30 May 1858 Missouri)
- James Forbes (born 18 July 1862 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory)
- Charles Robertson Forbes,Sr. (born 22 August 1863 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory)
- Jane Ann Forbes (born 14 March 1867 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah Territory)
- Katherine Forbes (born 5 January 1872 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah Territory)
- Cynosure Passenger List
- "San Miguel Cemetery, San Luis Obispo County, California." San Luis Obispo County Cemeteries. San Luis Obispo County Genealogical Society, Inc., 25 Sept. 2010. Web. 26 June 2011. <http://www.slocgs.org/slocem/miguel/>.
- Ancestry.com and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 1880 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010. Original data: Tenth Census of the United States, 1880. (NARA microfilm publication T9, 1,454 rolls). Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C. Year: 1880; Census Place: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah; Roll: 1337; Family History Film: 1255337; Page: 7B; Enumeration District: 40.
- Ancestry.com. 1860 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch. Original data: 1860 U.S. census, population schedule. NARA microfilm publication M653, 1,438 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d. Year: 1860; Census Place: Great Salt Lake City Ward 12, Great Salt Lake, Utah Territory; Roll: M653_1313; Page: 166; Image: 172; Family History Library Film: 805313.