About Anna Tallman (Tallmann)
- 'The genealogical dictionary of Rhode Island: comprising three generations of ... By John Osborne Austin
- Pg. 457 /115
- TALLMAN, Peter (p. 196, 1st col.) came from Hamburg, Germany, of a burgher family, which probably originated in Schleswig-Holstein. He was born about 1623, probably the son of 'Heinrich and Ann Tuelmon of Humburg' and was made a burgher of that City 14 Aug. 1646. Soon after he emigrated to Barbados, where on 2 Jan. 1649 (?1649/9) he married in Christ Church Parish, Anne, daughter of Philip and Anne Hill of that parish. Soon after, he came to Rhode Island. On 2 June 1648 he contracted with Nathaniel Maverick to transport him, with his goods, in the ship Golden Dolphin to New England. He occurs on 5:12:1650 as "Peter Talmon of Newport on Rhode Island apothecary" (Aspinwall, pp. 209, 370). He was at New Amsterdam in 1651 and was trading with Delaware. He was at Hartford and on 20 May 1652 he was styled "Dutchman" in the Conn. records. He was residing at Flushing and New Amsterdam 1655-1658, but was a Freeman at Newport, R. I., in 1655.
- Pg. 458 /116
- On 4 Oct. 1655, he bought a house and lot in New Amsterdam, and on 25 May 1658, "Pieter Taelman burgher and inhabitant of New Amsterdam," sold the same to Dirck Jansen van Daventer (N.Y. City Rec., Dutch Deeds, Bk, A. pp. 95, 135). He returned to Rhode Island and settled at Portsmouth in 1658. Bought lands on the Taunton River in Plymouth Colony (now Dighton, Mass.) and at Dartmouth, as well as a considerable tract on Martha's Vineyard. He was Commissioner in 1661 at Warwick, R. I. In 1665 his wife Anne was sentenced to be whipped for adultery. He deposed at Portsmouth on 13 March 1702/3, aged 80 years or thereabouts, that he was born in Hamburg and went to Barbados, where he married at Christ Church Parish, Anne, daughter of Philip and Anne Hill, and thereafter removed to R. I. with his wife's mother, who remarried Mr. John Elton and removed to Flushing and later to Staten Island and eventually went with her son Robert Hill to Virginia, where as he had heard, she married once more, a Capt. Hudson. Dr. Peter Tallman of Guilford, Conn., was his son (Portsmouth Town Records).
- Peter of Guilford (2nd col.) on 5 Nov 1703 sold land at Dragon Swamp in Furnham Parish, Rappahannock Co., Va., as heir of Robert Hill (his uncle) of Rappahannock Co., Va. (Essex Co., Va., Deeds, Bk. 11. p. 115).
- Anne (2nd col.) married Joseph Beckett [Beckwith] of New London.
- Delete the nameless daughter, "___ married William Potter."
- (New Eng. Hist. & Gen. Reb., Vol. 69, p. 90; Vol. 87. pp. 69-74.)
From Rootsweb.com, "ged", by Doris Brewster : Source: NEGHS Source: Register of Christ Church Parish, Barbados.
"Feb. 5 1650/51 - Peter Talman of Newport on Roade Iland Apothecary appointed his well beloved friend Mr. John Elton his attorney to collect from "Mr. Samuel Maverick of Noddles Island in the Massachusets all that my due from him which he by his bond is bound to pay to me," etc. Signed Peter Talman & a seal, 18 Nov. 1650. Sealed and delivered in the presence of Rich Wright, Thom Gould (Aspinwall Notarial Records, pp. 370, 1)"
Source: Early Rehoboth Families and Events, NEGHS.
Source: Genealogical Research in Germany and England, Vol. 85, pg. 73.
"Peter Talman of Newport on Roade Iland Apothecary," he gave a power of attorney to "my welbeloved frend Mr. John Elton" to collect what was due to him from "Mr. Samuel Maverick of Noddles Iland in the Massachusetts gent." and "to take upp & seaze uppon a Negro man of mine which I am informed is within the jurisdiction of the Massachusetts. The Negro is named Mingoe & but a yong man & having the marke of I:P on his left shoulder: & did unlawfully depart from my house in Newport about six months since." (Aspinwal Notarial Records, pp. 370- 371, entered under date of (12) 1650 (5 Feb. 1650/51). He had, therefore arrived in Newport at least as early as May 1650. Soon, however, then moved to Portsmouth, R.I., where he was a landowner and merchant and was a freeman in 1655. He was one of the earliest purchasers of land on Martha's Vineyard, and was very active in the settlement of that island. (Cf. Bank's History of Martha's Vineyard.) He appears also in the Connecticut record on 20 May 1652, when he is called "Dutchman." (Colonial Records of Connecticut, vol. 1, p. 231.) He bought lands from the Indians within the bounds of the Plymouth Colony (Plymouth Colony Records, vol. 6, p. 151.), and was apparently for some time at Flushing, on Long Island. From 1655 to 1656 his name is frequently found in the court records of New Amsterdam, where he sometimes acted as interpreter between the English and the Dutch. (Records of New Amsterdam 1653-1674, vols. 1 and 2.) He purchased much land in Dartmouth, Mass., and the neighboring towns, but his principal place of residence was Portsmouth, R.I. His estate was settled on May 8, 1709.
Peter Tallman was admitted a burgher of Hamburg, as the son of Henry Tallman. Parrents: Henry Taleman (b. abt. 1586 in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany) and Anna ? Peter Tallman Henry Taleman (b. abt. 1586 in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany) Peter TALEMAN b: Abt 1558 in Gent,East Flanders,Belgium ?
Name: Henry TALEMAN Given Name: Henry Surname: Taleman Sex: M
Birth: Abt 1586 in Born In Schleswig -Holstein,Germany
Change Date: 3 Feb 2003
Note: Henry Tallman of Hamburg, born, probably in Schleswig-Holstein, about 1586, was living in the Parish of St. Nicholas Hamburg, as late as 24 Mar. 1619, and probably lived for several years after that date. He probably married ANNA -- who may have been the Anna Talemanns who was a godmother at the baptism of Anna, daughter of Peter Tallman, on May 1608. He was residing in the Parish of St. Nicholas, Hamburg on Sep. 20, 1616, when his daughter Anna Maria was baptized there. He evidently became a burgher of Hamburg when the Peter Talemann who was admitted a burgher in 1646, his son.
Father: Peter TALEMAN b: Abt 1558 in Gent, East Flanders, Belgium
Mother: Unknown UNKNOWN Marriage 1 Anna TALEMANNS (?) Note: _STATMARRIED Children Peter TALLMAN b: 1623 in Hamburg
Elisabeth TOLMAN Anna Maria TOLMAN
Anna Tallman's Timeline
September 20, 1616
March 24, 1619
February 23, 1623
Imperial Free City of Hamburg, (Present Schleswig-Holstein), Heiliges Römisches Reich (Present Germany)