About Anne Wentworth
- (c) HENRY FitzAlan (23 Apr 1512-Arundel House, Strand, London 24 Feb 1580, bur Arundel). He was summoned to parliament 5 Feb 1533 as Lord Mautravers. He succeeded his father in 1544 as Earl of Arundel. He was imprisoned in the Tower from 8 Nov 1551 to 3 Dec 1552 through the hostility of the Duke of Northumberland, but after his release he took his revenge by arresting the Duke after betraying to Queen Mary the plot to install Lady Jane Grey as Queen. He resigned all his offices in 1564 after failing in his plan to marry Queen Elizabeth. m firstly CATHERINE Grey, daughter of THOMAS Grey 2nd Marquess of Dorset & his second wife Margaret Wotton (-1 May 1542). m secondly (licence 6 Sep 1545, 19 Dec 1545) as her second husband, MARY Arundell, widow of ROBERT Radclyffe Earl of Sussex, daughter of Sir JOHN Arundell of Lanherne, Cornwall & his second wife Katherine Grenville of Stow, Devon (-Arundel House, Strand, London 20 Oct 1557, bur London, St Clement Danes). Earl Henry & his first wife had three children:
- (2) HENRY FitzAlan (1538-Brussels 30 Jun 1556, bur Brussels Cathedral). He was styled Lord Mautravers. He was ambassador to the king of Bohemia in 1556, where he caught a fever. m (licence 12 Apr 1555) as her second husband, ANN Wentworth, widow of Sir HUGH Rich, daughter of Sir JOHN Wentworth of Gosfield, Essex (-bur 10 Jan 1581 Gosfield, Essex). She married thirdly ([1573/80]) as his first wife, William Deane.
- The Wentworth genealogy, comprising the origin of the name, the family in England, and a particular account of Elder William Wentworth, the emigrant, and of his descendants (1870)
- *Sir Roger had the following issue:
- 1. Sir Philip, of whom hereafter.
- 2. Henry Wentworth, Esq., of Codham Hall, County Essex, the first of the family who settled in that county. He died 22 March, 1482-3, having had two wives. by the 2d, Jane, daughter of Henry Fitz Lewes, who survived him, he had no issue. By his first wife, Elizabeth, daughter and heir of Henry Howard( 2d son of Sir John Howard, by Mary, daughter of Sir Henry Hussey, of Co. Sussex, Kt.,) he had, with other issue, Sir Roger Wentworth, of Codham Hall, aforesaid, Sheriff of Essex and Hertfordshire in 1499, and died 9 August 1539, who married Anne, only daughter and heir of Humphrey Tyrrell, Esq., of Little Warley, Co. Essex. She died 28 August, 1534, leaving, with other issue, Sir John Wentworth, Kt., of Gosfield, Co. Essex, born 1494, died 15 September, 1567; he married Anne, daughter of John Bettenham, Esq., of Pluckley, Co. Kent, who was buried at Gosfield, Co. Essex, 30 November, 1595. They had two daughters. One of them, Anne, married three times: 1st. Sir Hugh Rich, 2d son of Lord Chancellor Rich, who died 1 November 1554; 2d. Henry Fitzallen, Lord Maltravers, who died in 1556; and 3d. Wm. Deane, Esq. Lady Maltravers was buried in Gosfield Church, 10 January, 1580-1. The other daughter of Sir John and Lady Anne Wentworth, viz., Mary, was married at Gosfield, 9 February, 1545-6, to Sir Thos. Wentworth, Kt., 2d Baron of Nettlestead. She died without issue, and evidently shortly after her marriage. (See forward to number 19 of this note for further account of her husband.)
- Anne WENTWORTH (B. Maltravers)
- Born: ABT 1526, Codham Hall, Essex, England
- Buried: 10 Jan 1581, Gosfield, Essex, England
- Notes: 3rd dau. and coheir of Sir John Wentworth, of Gosfield, Essex. Widow of Sir Hugh Rich, married (Lic. 12 Apr 1555) Henry Fitzalan, styled Lord Mautravers, died s.p. and v.p., 30 Jun 1556, at Brussels, aged 18. His widow married, between 1573 and 1580, William Deane. She was buried 10 Jan 1580/1, at Gosfield afsd., as "Anne, Lady Maltravers, uxor William Deane Esq." in her will dated 26 Mar 1573, she styles herself "late wife of the Rt. Hon. Henry Earl of Arundel", and bequeaths her residue to "my servant" William Deane, who pr. the said will 15 Feb 1580/1. He, who, in 1571, bought Dynes Hall, Great Maplestead, Essex, married 2ndly, Anne, widow of George Blythe, clerk to the Council of York, and daughter of Thomas Egerton, and had issue, and died 4 Oct 1585.
- Father: John WENTWORTH of Gosfield
- Mother: Anne BETTENHAM
- Married 1: Hugh RICH
- Married 2: Henry FITZALAN (B. Maltravers) 12 Apr 1555
- Married 3: William DEANE (Esq.) 1573
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/WENTWORTH.htm#Anne WENTWORTH (B. Maltravers)
- Ann Wentworth1
- F, #23618, d. circa January 1580/81
- Last Edited=22 May 2008
- Ann Wentworth was the daughter of Sir John Wentworth.1 She married, firstly, Sir Hugh Rich before 1555.1 She married, secondly, Sir Henry Fitzalan, Lord Mautravers, son of Henry Fitzalan, 19th Earl of Arundel and Catherine Grey, on 12 April 1555.1 She married, thirdly, William Deane between 1573 and 1580.1 She died circa January 1580/81.1 Her will (dated 26 March 1573) was probated on 15 February 1580/81.1 She was buried on 10 January 1580/81 at Gosfield, Essex, England.1
- From before 1555, her married name became Rich.1 From 12 April 1555, her married name became Fitzalan.1 From between 1573 and 1580, her married name became Deane.1
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 252. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p2362.htm#i23618
- 1. Hon Sir Hugh Rich, Knight of the Bath at the Coronation of Queen Mary I 1553 (dvp. and sp. 1 Nov 1554), mar. Anne Wentworth (mar. (2) 12 Apr 1555 Henry FitzAlan, styled Lord Maltravers, only son and hr. ap. by his first wife of Henry [FitzAlan], 19th or 12th Earl of Arundel, and (3) c. 1576 William Deane, of Maplested, co. Essex; bur. 10 Jan 1580/1), 3rd dau. and cohrss. of Sir John Wentworth, of Gosfield, co. Essex, by his wife Anne Bettenham, dau. of John Bettenham, of Bickley, co. Kent
- From: http://www.cracroftspeerage.co.uk/online/content/Rich1546.htm