Anne Lovelace (Wentworth), Baroness Wentworth
Daughter of Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Cleveland and Anne Crofts
|Managed by:||Pete Van Voast|
About Anne Lovelace, Baroness Wentworth
- 'The Wentworth genealogy, comprising the origin of the name, the family in England, and a particular account of Elder William Wentworth, the emigrant, and of his descendants (1870)
- (19) Sir Thomas Wentworth, Kt., 2d Baron Wentworth, who is said in the Peerages to have been summoned to Parliament "from 23 January, 1552 to 4 February, 1489." This is, however, an error; as the letters of Administration granted on his estate to his son Henry, on the 18 January, 1583-4, have been found. He died at Stepney, Co. Middlesex. He was one of Queen Mary's Privy Council, and Deputy of Calais when that place was surrendered, in 1558. He was subsequently tried by his peers and honorably acquitted. He was one of the noblemen who sat in judgment on the Duke of Norfolk, and also upon Mary, Queen of Scots.
- He was twice married. His first wife was Mary, daughter of Sir John Wentworth, Kt., of Gosfield, Co. of Essex, to whom he was married at Gosfield, 9 February, 1545-6 (For her descent, see back to No. 2, of XIV., of this note).
- She died without issue, and he remarried Anne, daughter of Henry Wentworth, Esq., of Co. Suffolk. She was buried at Stepney, Co. Middlesex, in 1571. By her he had issue as follows:
- 1. Thomas, who married Elizabeth, daughter of Wm. Cecil, Lord Burghley, but died without issue in his father's lifetime.
- 2. Henry, 3d Baron, of whom hereafter.
- 3. Elizabeth, who married William Hynde, Esq., son and heir of Sir Francis Hynde, Kt., of Madingley, Co. Cambridge.
- The line was continues by the 2d son
- (20) Henry Wentworth, 3d Baron Wentworth, who is said in the Peerages to have been summoned to Parliament 19 February, 1593, probably 1592-3, as administration was granted on his estate the 30 August, 1593. His wife, who suvived him, was Anne, daughter of Sir Owen Hopton, Kt., Lieutenant of the Tower of London and relict of Sir Wm. Pope, Kt.
- They had issue as follows:
- 1. Thomas, 4th Baron, etc., of whom hereafter.
- 2. Henry, a Major General in the service of King Charles I., who died in 1644.
- 3. Jane, who married Sir John Finet, Kt., of West Keele, Co. Lincoln.
- The line was continued by
- (21) Thomas Wentworth, 4th Baron Wentworth, who was created, 7 February, 1625-6, Baron Wentworth of Nettlestead, and Earl of Cleveland.
- He suffered greatly for his loyalty to King Charles I. He died 26 March 1667, in his 76th year, and was buried at Toddington, Co. Bedford. He was twice married. His first wife was Anne, daughter of Sir John Crofts, Kt., of Saxmundham, Co. Suffolk, who was buried at Toddington aforesaid, in January 1637-8. His second wife was Lucy (wrongly called Catherine in the Peerages), second daughter and co-heir of Sir John Wentworth, Kt., and Bart. of Gosfield Hall, Co. Essex.
- Her descent is briefly as follows:
- Sir Roger Wentworth, of Codham Hall, by his wife Anne Tyrrell (see back to number 2 of XIV. of this note) had a second son, Henry Wentworth, Esq., Mountnessing, Co. Essex, and died in his father's lifetime, leaving by his wife Anne, daughter of Reginald Hammond, Esq. (with other issue), a son, John Wentworth, Esq., born 1540, buried at Gosfield, 3 April, 1588. He inherited Gosfield Hall from his uncle Sir John Wentworth, Kt. (see back to number 2 of XIV. of this note), and by his first wife Elizabeth, daughter of Sir Christopher Heydon, Kt., had with other issue a son, John Wentworth, Esq., born 1564, buried in Gosfield church, 11 February, 1613-4, who married Cecelia, daughter of Sir Edward Unton, by Anne, Countess of Warwick, and had with other issue Sir John Wentworth, Kt., of Gosfield, created a Baronet, 29 June, 1611, and died in October 1631, when, having no surviving male issue, the Baronetcy expired.
- He married Catherine, daughter of Sir Moyle Finch, Kt., who died in September 1639. They had, with several other daughters, a daughter 'Lucy, who married Thomas, 4th Baron Wentworth, and 1st Earl of Cleveland, as above stated.'
- The Earl of Cleveland, by his first wife had issue as follows:
- 1. Thomas, of whom hereafter.
- 2. William, who died in 1623, aged six years, and was buried at Toddington, Co. Bedford.
- 3. Charles, who died in 1622, in his second year, and was buried at Toddington aforesaid.
- 4. Anne, who died in infancy.
- 5. Mary, who died unmarried in January 1632-3, aged 18, and was buried at Toddington.
- '6. Anne, of whom hereafter.
- The Earl by his second wife, Lucy, had an only daugher
- 7. Catherine, who married William Spencer, Esq., of Cople, Co. Bedford, and died without issue.
- The second wife, Lucy, died 23 November 1651, and was buried at Toddington.
- The line was continued through
- (22) Thomas Wentworth, who was summoned to Parliament, 16 Chas. I., as Lord Wentworth of Nettlestead. He was also knight, and died 7 March, 1664-5, in his father's lifetime and without male issue. He married Philadelphia, daughter of Sir Ferdinand Carey, Ktn., who died 4 May 1696, and was buried, with her husband, at Toddington aforesaid. Their only issue was a daughter
- (23) Henrietta Maria, who, according to the terms of the patent, succeeded her grandfather as Baroness Wentworth. She survived his execution only a few months, dying 23 April 1686, and was buried at Toddington.
- The male line ceased of course on the death of her grandfather, the Earl of Cleveland, and that title expired; but the Barony of Wentworth passed from her, at her death, to her 'Aunt Anne (see back to number 6 of (21) of this note), who married, 11 July 1638, John, Lord Lovelace'. They had a son John, who died in his mother's lifetime, leaving a daughter, Martha, who succeeded to the Barony of Wentworth.
- Thomas WENTWORTH (1° E. Cleveland)
- Born: 1591
- Died: 25 Mar 1667, Toddington, Bedfordshire, England
- Buried: 4 Apr 1667, Toddington, Bedfordshire, England
- Father: Henry WENTWORTH (3° B. Wentworth of Nettlestead)
- Mother: Anne HOPTON
- Married 1: Anne CROFTS BEF 1612
- 1. Thomas WENTWORTH
- '2. Anne WENTWORTH (B. Wentworth & Dow)'
- Married 2: Lucy WENTWORTH (C. Cleveland) BEF 25 Oct 1638
- 3. Catherine WENTWORTH
Anne Lovelace, Baroness Wentworth's Timeline
July 29, 1623
July 11, 1638
May 7, 1697