About Archibald Mckee
- Clasping Hands with Generations Past", by Emma Rouse Lloyd;
- 1850 Greensburg, Decatur County, Indiana census;
- "William Porter, Jr. of Rockbridge County, Virginia 1740-1804", by MaryE. Porter, pub. 1984;
on the 1840 Clinton & Fugit & Salt Creek, Decatur County, Indiana census under Archd. McGee
- 1850 Washington, Decatur County, Indiana census;
- Archibald McKee, age 50, b) Kentucky; farmer; 4,000
- Lilly, wife, age 47, b) Kentucky
- Archibald, son, age 21, farmer, b) Indiana
- Nathaniel W., son, age 11, student; b) Indiana
- Thomas A., son, age 12, b) Indiana
- Lilly M., daughter, age 7, b) Indiana
Archibald McKee died in 1856--- find his wife, Lilly (McClure) McKee, on the 1860 Marion, Linn County,Iowa census, as follows:
- Lilly McKee, age 59, b) Kentucky; 2,000; 125
- T.A., son, age 24, b) Indiana; farmer
- Lilly, daughter, age 16, b) Indiana
In the same town is Archibald & Lilly
s son, John David McKee, with his family. Archibald was possibly born in or near present Crittenden, Grant County, Kentucky( then Campbell County); One source indicates that his father, David McKee, was in business in this community at the time.
He purchased land in Decatur County, Indiana, in 1828, & lived there until his death. Decatur County Record Book B (page 317) shows him as a resident in Fugit Township & a petitioner for relocation of a road so as not to render useless the land of minor heirs to an estate.
He served as guardian to the children of his widowed sister, Elizabeth Hamilton, & the executor of the estate of his deceased brother-in-law, Thomas Ardery. The deaths of Hamilton & Ardery came at about the same time as the death of David McKee.
Archibald was named co-executotor of his father's estate, but the settlement records in Harrison County, Kentucky, show not Archibald, but John Wallace McKee as co-executor.
The 1850 Indiana census indicates that he was a farmer in Washington, Decatur County, owning real estate valued at $4,000. In his will (not dated but filed at the court house in Greensburg on November 14, 1865) he refers to the half share he held in the McKee & Phares hardware business which he purchased from William Speer, directing that the balance due Speer be paid, & that his interest in the business be the separate & unemcumbered property of his wife. On her death, the remainder of his estate was to be divided equally among his children. He did not name an executor.
Estate records show that his son, Nathaniel, was named administrator, but on October 7, 1858, Nathaniel petitioned tobe discharged from this responsibility as he intended moving from the state.
Lilly McKee purchased 30 acres in Marion Township, Linn County, Iowa, in June 1859. The 1860 census shows her unmarried son, Thomas, &her young daughter, Lilly, living with her. In November 1863, Lilly sold that same land." Will of Archibald McKee---"I, Archibald McKee of the vounty of Decatur &State of Indiana do hereby make the following disposition & arrangement of & concerning the property of which I may die posessed.
1st That all my just debts be paid.
2nd That for the special benefit of my wife & to enable her to keep & provide for herself & the minor children the following arrangement is hereby made, to wit: Whereas heretofore I purchased of William Speer his undivided half of the iron store then owned by him & Isaac T. Phares as partners for this invoice sum of three thousand five hundred dollars about one third of which has been paid &the remainder is due at two equal payments at December 25, 1856 &December 25, 1857, for which sum said Speer holds the notes of the maker hereof.
Now it is my will that my administrator make full & final payment to said Speer of the amount set forth which shall be unpaid at my death, & the said store with all its items of hardware notions etc. is to be the separate unemcumbered property of Lilly McKee my said wife & that she have the right to use & enjoy & dispose of the same & all the interest of the said Archibald in all the unsettled accounts notes &demands of said business referred to the said business concern to be responsible for any & all debts of the firm of Phares & McKee it beingthe true intent to thus set aside for the use etc. as aforesaid thirty-five hundred dollars or thereabouts to my said wife during her naturallife & at her death it is my will that whatever be left will be divided equally among our children then living. Whatever profits there may be in said business to taken up by me shall belong to my said wife as aforesaid.
And it is hereby furthur provided that no inventory shall be made of said store by administrators but the business thereof shall under the care of the new parties without any furthur chance than such arrangements as to the partnership business & the management thereof as the parties from time to time may agree.
3rd It is furthur my will that all property both real & personal not disposed of above shall be distributed according to law without references to the provisions under &above this to include all Real Estate Personal Property to include notes, accounts & all evidences of debts whatever. And I declare the foregoing to be my last will & testament. Archibald McKee
Signed sealed & declared to be Archibald McKee who signed the foregoing to be his last will & testament in our presence being at the time in presence of each other----B.W. Wilson; I.T.Phares----
The State of Indiana, County of Decatur----Be it remembered that on this 14th day of November 1856 personally appeared to me the undersigned clerk of the Decatur Court of Common Pleas Barton W. Wilson & Isaac T. Phares, the above subscribing witnesses to the above instrument of writing purporting to be the last will & testament of Archibald McKee who being duly sworn on oath declare that they were present & saw the said Archibald McKee subscribe the same & heard him declare it to be his last will & testament& that at the time of subscribing the same he was of sound mind &disposing memory & not under coercion & restraint & that the said testator subscribe the same in their presence & in the presence of each other & furthur saith not. B.W. Wilson & I.T Phares---- Subscribed &sworn to November 14, 1845 in witness whereof I hereto set my hand affix the seal of said court at Greensburg this date above written. Henry H.Talbot, clerk - - from Decatur County Will Book I, pages 52 & 53
11. Archibald McKEE-4 (David, Samuel) was born 8 May 1800 in Grant County, Kentucky. He died 1856 in Decatur County, Indiana and was buried in Greensburg Cemetery, Greensburg, Decatur County, Indiana. Archibald married (MRIN:5) Lilly McCLURE-5 on 1 Dec 1820 in Boone County, Kentucky. Lilly was born 1801 in Boone County, Kentucky. She died 1871 in Iowa. daughter of Nathaniel McCLURE and Mary Jane Porter. Archibald and Lilly had the following children:
- + 30 M i. John David McKEE-2 was born 12 Nov 1821 and died 15 May 1900.
- + 31 F ii. Elizabeth Jane McKEE-47 was born about 1823 and died 9 Oct 1887.
- 32 M iii. Joseph A. McKEE-49 was born 1825 in Kentucky. Joseph married (MRIN:46) Amy Montgomery-50 on 16 Feb 1848 in Decatur County, Indiana. Amy was born 1830 in Indiana.
- 33 M iv. Archibald Vigo McKEE-51 was born 6 Nov 1831 in Harrison County, Kentucky. He died 13 Jul 1884 in Troy, Lincoln County, Missouri and was buried in Troy City Cemetery, Troy, Lincoln county, Missouri. Archibald married (MRIN:47) Clara Sarah Wheeler-52 on 1861. Clara was born 8 Jan 1840. She died 22 Nov 1922 in Troy, Lincoln County, Missouri and was buried in Troy City Cemetery, Troy, Lincoln county, Missouri. daughter of Otis Wheeler and Jane Foster
- 34 M v. Nathaniel William McKEE-53 was born 22 Jan 1832 in Indiana. He died 14 Apr 1877 in Independance, Buchanan County, Iowa and was buried in County Lane Cemetery, Des Moines Township, Jefferson County, Iowa. Nathaniel married (MRIN:49) Charity L. Rominger-54 on 12 Dec 1855 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. Charity was born 1832 in Indiana. She died after 1880 in Jefferson County, Iowa.
- 35 M vi. Thomas A. McKEE-55 was born about 1838 in Indiana. He died 1923 in San Diego county, California. Thomas married (MRIN:50) Mariah Henrietta Dodd-56 on 17 Oct 1861 in Linn County, Iowa. Mariah was born 12 Jan 1841 in Marion, Linn County, Iowa. She died 5 Jan 1931 in Escondido, San Diego County, California.
- 36 F vii. Lily Margaret McKEE-57 was born about 1843 in Indiana. She died in Iowa.