About Artemus Wilder
Artemus Wilder 1776
Wilder-Holton House: This structure, erected by Major Jonas Wilder, from boards planed and nails wrought on the site, originally possessing a four-fireplace chimney and Indian shutters, is Coos County's first two-story dwelling. Construction was initiated on the noted "Dark Day" of May 19, 1780, which caused work to cease temporarily. Successively a home, a tavern, a church, and a meeting place, it is now a museum. The house was owned by the Wilder family till 1807 when it was sold by Artemus Wilder to Timothy Holton. This house may have been one of the underground stations in the days of slavery with a tunnel running from the cellar to the Connecticut River. The house was purchased in 1965 by the Lancaster Historical Society.