About Asher Zundel Sterling (Osterun)
Asher (Oszer Zundel) Sterling (Szterling) lived in Bakalarzewo, Suwalki with his wife Liba, at least when several of his children's births were recorded. His marriage to Liba Aleksandrowicz is recorded in Bakalarzewo in 1863 (JRI-P, Jewish Gen).
- Hirsh (Harry), born 1870 Bakalarzewo. Married Clara Orsekowski
- Malka, born 1871 Bakalarzewo. Married Shmuel Altszuler (Oldschool)
- Chaya, born 1874 Bakalarzewo
- Benjamin, born 1876
- Ethel, born 1884. Married Jacob Morris Raynes
- Max, born 1887 in Suwalki. Married Bertha Zirilstein (Bernstein), who was his cousin. She was the daughter of Israel Samuel Zirilstein (son of Kaila Margolis) and of Gittel Margolis (daughter of Zvi Hirsch Margolis). Kaila, Sulka, and Zvi Hirsch were siblings, so Max and Bertha's descendants are triply Margolis descendants!
Asher Sterling was married twice and had 7 children:
Max (1886 - 1971)
Samuel and Elias (California)
Harry and Meyer (London)
Max Sterling married Bertha, the daughter of Gittel (Grace) Margolis (daugther of Zvi Hirsch Margolis born 1810 Kalwariya to Mordechai and Hinde Bas Ber) and Israel Samuel Zirilstein (son of Kaila Margolis Bernstein).
That Asher Sterling was the son of Sulka Margolis and Reb xxx Sterling is based on a hypothesis in Dr. Neil Rosenstein The Margolis Family, p. 13 of the narrative in the back.
Max Sterling was the son of Asher Sterling. Max married the granddaughter of Kaila Margolis Bernstein, Bertha Zirilstein. Bertha was the daughter of two first cousins: Israel Samuel Zirilstein (Kaila Margolis' son) and Gitel (Grace) Margolis (Zvi Hirsch Margolis' daughter). Rosenstein hypothesizes that Max was the grandson of Sulka Margolis, sister of Kaila and Zvi Hirsch, and that the marriage between Bertha Zirilstein and Max Sterling was another cousin marriage. Also, he points out correctly, Asher was a very common name that repeated in the Margolis family and also the Sterlings and Bernstein/Zirilsteins were all natives of Kalwarija.
Asher Zundel Sterling's Timeline
Augustow, Suwalki, Poland
Bakalarzewo, Suwalki, Poland
March 2, 1871
July 5, 1887
Suwalki, Podlachia, Poland