About A. Odell
I am a historian and a curator for Geni. I work on special projects focused on geographic and topical themes. I also coordinate the BillionGraves Team. If you follow the Geni Blog, you've likely seen some of my work. If I built a profile for you or a close relative and you have no clue who I am, odds are you have a notable relative -- ask me about it!
When I'm not working on special projects for Geni, I like to work on my own direct ancestors, who include:
- Oldest-of-the-old-stock New England Yankees
- Confederate Southerners who fought the above
- Pirates, refugees, and slaves of the Bahamas
- A Danish-German shyster who murdered his professor
- New England's first "wonder-working" historian
- America's first public school teacher
- One of the original Mormon pioneers
- A bunch of cranky old coots, including this guy
Although I am predominantly European-American, my recent ancestry includes significant percentages of Yoruba, Mandinka, and Bantu on my maternal side, and undetermined Native American on my paternal. (My paternal grandfather was adopted.) Deeper DNA analysis narrows the Native American roots to Abenaki, Métis, and/or Mohawk.