view all 16
About Barbara Devereux
- 'Barbara Devereux1
- 'F, #324302, d. after 1618
- Last Edited=18 Jul 2010
- ' Barbara Devereux was born at Mirevale Abbey, Warwickshire, England.2 She was the daughter of Sir William Devereux and Jane Scudamore.1,2 She married, firstly, Edward Cave.1 She married, secondly, Sir Edward Hastings, son of Francis Hastings, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon and Catherine Pole, in 1567.1,2 She died after 1618 at Leicestershire, England.2
- ' Her married name became Cave.1 From 1567, her married name became Hastings.1
- 'Children of Barbara Devereux and Sir Edward Hastings
- 1.Walter Hastings1
- 2.Dorothy Hastings2
- 3.Ann Hastings2
- 4.Edward Hastings2
- 5.Sir Henry Hastings+1 b. c 1555, d. 1640
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 2005. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S3470] Marian Hastings, "re: Hastings Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 31 Deember 2008. Hereinafter cited as "re: Hastings Family."
- Francis Hastings, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon, KG (1514 – 20 June 1561) was the eldest son of George Hastings, 1st Earl of Huntingdon and Anne Stafford, Countess of Huntingdon, the ex-mistress of Henry VIII.
- Francis married Catherine Pole on 25 June 1532. She was a daughter of Henry Pole, 11th Baron Montacute and Jane Neville. Jane was in turn a daughter of George Nevill, 4th Baron Bergavenny and Margaret Fenne. They had eleven children:
- Frances Anne Hastings (1533–1574). Married Henry Compton, 1st Baron Compton and was mother of William Compton, 1st Earl of Northampton.
- Henry Hastings, 3rd Earl of Huntingdon (1536 – 14 December 1595).
- William Hastings (b. 1537).
- George Hastings, 4th Earl of Huntingdon (1540 – 3 December 1604).
- ' Sir Edward Hastings (1541 – 1603?). Married Barbara Deveraux, daughter of Sir William Deveraux and Jane Sccudamore. Her paternal grandfather was Walter Devereux, 1st Viscount Hereford. She was the sole heir of both her father and her previous husband Edward Cayce. Her considerable inheritance included Leicester Abbey.
- Catherine Hastings (11 August 1542 – 22 September 1576). Married Henry Clinton, 2nd Earl of Lincoln and was mother of Thomas Clinton, 3rd Earl of Lincoln.
- Walter Hastings (1544 – 20 August 1616). Married Joyce Roper.
- Elizabeth Hastings (c. 1546 – 24 August 1621). Married Edward Somerset, 4th Earl of Worcester.
- Anne Hastings (b. 1548).
- Francis Hastings (c. 1550 – 26 September 1610). Married Maud Longdord.
- Mary Hastings (b. 1552).
- 'Genealogical memoirs of the extinct family of Chester of Chicheley (1878)
- II. BRYAN CAVE, the seventh son of Richard Cave Esq. of Stanford, by his second wife Margaret Saxby, was one of his father's executors and residuary legatees. On the dissolution of Leicester Abbey he had a large share in the plunder; for the impropriate Rectory of Hungerton and the Manor of Ingarsby were granted to him by the Crown in 1540. He was Sheriff of the united counties of Warwick and Leicester in 1558, and was Sheriff of Leicestershire in 1569, and again in 1582. He married two wives ; but his first wife Margaret was the mother of his children. She was the daughter of Sir George Throckmorton Kt. by Catherine daughter of Nicholas Lord Vaux, by Elizabeth daughter of Henry Lord Fitz-Hugh, by Alice Nevill sister of Richard Earl of Warwick K,G., 'the king-maker.' She had issue four children, namely :
- ' 1. EDWARD CAVE, son and heir apparent, married Barbara daughter and coheir of Sir William Devereux Kt., and died without issue in his father's lifetime. His widow Barbara married secondly Sir Edward Hastings Kt., fourth son of Francis Earl of Huntingdon.
- 2. HENRY CAVE, son and heir, of whom presently.
- 3. FRANCIS CAVE married and had children.
- 4. MARY CAVE married Thomas Brown Esq. of Wistow.
- Brian Cave married secondly Bridget daughter of Sir William Skipwith Kt. of Ormesby, co. Lincoln, one of the Maids of Honour of Queen Elizabeth ; but she died 26th January 1587-8 without children. (14) Brian Cave lived to a great age, and died 12th September 1592. (14)
- 'Barbara DEVEREUX
- 'Born: 1542, Myrevale, Warwickshire, England
- 'Notes: eldest daughter and heir. Shortly after her 15th birthday, was married to her first husband, Sir Edward Cayce. Two years after nuptials, Sir Edward was taken ill with the pox and died. Since there had been no issue from this marriage, she inherited all of his property, including Leicester Abbey.
- Father: William DEVEREUX (Sir)
- Mother: Jane SCUDAMORE
- 'Married 1: Edward CAYCE (Sir)
- 'Married 2: Edward HASTINGS (Sir) ABT 1567/1570, England
- 1. Henry HASTINGS (Sir)
- 2. Walter HASTINGS
- 'Married 3: Reginald FARLEY
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/DEVEREUX.htm#Barbara DEVEREUX1
- 'Barbara Devereux1
- 'F, b. circa 1544
- Father Sir William Devereux1 b. c 1525, d. b 2 Nov 1579
- Mother Jane Scudamore1 b. c 1525
- ' Barbara Devereux was born circa 1544 at of Myrevale, Warwickshire, England.1 She married Sir Edward Hastings, son of Sir Francis Hastings, 2nd Earl Huntingdon, 4th Lord Hastings and Katherine Pole, on 2 November 1579.1
- 'Family Sir Edward Hastings b. c 1542, d. 1603
- 1.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, SLC Archives.
- Francis [Hastings], 2nd Earl of Huntingdon, KG PC
- born c. 1514
- mar. 25 Jun 1532 Hon Catharine Pole (d. 23 Sep 1576), 1st dau. and cohrss. of Hon Sir Henry Pole, styled Lord Montagu (by his wife Hon Jane Nevill, 1st dau. by his first wife of George [Nevill], 2nd and 4th Baron Bergavenny), 1st son and heir of Sir Richard Pole KG, Constable of Harlech Castle, by his wife Lady Margaret Plantagenet, styled Countess of Salisbury and de jure Countess of Warwick, only dau. of George [Plantagenet], 1st Duke of Clarence, younger brother of King Edward IV
- 1. Hon Henry Hastings, later 3rd Earl of Huntingdon
- 2. Hon George Hastings, later 4th Earl of Huntingdon
- 3. Hon William Hastings (dsp.)
- ' 4. Hon Sir Edward Hastings, of Leicester Abbey (d. 1603), mar. Barbara Cave (widow of Edward Cave, of Ingarsby, co. Leicester), 1st dau. and cohrss. of Hon Sir William Devereux, of Mirevale Abbey, co. Warwick (by his wife Jane Scudamore, dau. of John Scudamore, of Holme Lacy), 3rd son by his first wife of Walter [Devereux], 1st Viscount Hereford, and had issue:
- 1a. Sir Henry Hastings, Sheriff of Leicestershire 1619 (d. 1629), mar. Mabel Faunt (d. 1618), dau. of Antony Faunt, of Foston, co. Leicester, and had issue: ......
- 2a. Walter Hastings (dsp.)
- 5. Hon Sir Francis Hastings (b. c. 1545; dsp. 1610)
- 6. Hon Walter Hastings (d. 1616), mar. 1574 Joyce Roper (d. 1616), and had issue
- 1. Lady Catherine Hastings (b. 11 Aug 1542), mar. Feb 1557 as his first wife Henry [Clinton], 2nd Earl of Lincoln, and had issue
- 2. Lady .... Hastings
- 3. Lady Frances Hastings (d. 1574), mar. as his first wife Henry [Compton], 1st Baron Compton, and had issue
- 4. Lady Elizabeth Hastings (d. 24 Aug 1621), mar. Dec 1571 Edward [Somerset]. 4th Earl of Worcester, and had issue
- 5. Lady Mary Hastings (d. unm.)
- died 23 Jun 1560
- suc. by son
- note Knight of the Bath 1533; Knight of the Garter1549; Lord Lieutenant of Rutland 1550-59, of Leicestershire 1554-60, of Derbyshire 1552-60 and of Warwickshire 1554-59; Privy Councillor 1550; Captain of the Vanguard of the Queen's Forces 1558; Master of the Harthounds 1559
- .... The dispute reflects Devereux’s growing interest in Staffordshire, increased by the marriage of his daughter Margaret to Edward Littleton, son and heir of Edward Littleton of Pillaton Hall. His other daughter 'Barbara, married first into the Cave family and afterwards Sir Edward Hastings.' Before his death, Devereux settled his estates on his two daughters, appointing as feoffees Thomas Trentham, Richard Hussey, Richard Bagot, Robert Collies, Anthony Green and Lady Jane Devereux. ....
- From: DEVEREUX, Sir William (c.1525-79), of Merevale, Warws. http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/devereux-sir-william-1525-79
- 'HASTINGS, Sir Edward (d.?1603), of Leicester Abbey, Leics.
- 4th s. of Francis, 2nd Earl of Huntingdon, by Catherine, da. and coh. of Henry Pole, Lord Montagu; bro. of Francis I and Sir George. educ. ?M. Temple 1562.1 'm. Barbara, da. and coh. of Sir William Devereux of Merevale Abbey, Warws. wid. of Edward Cave of Ingarsby, Leics., 4s. inc. Henry 1da.' Kntd. 1570.2
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/hastings-sir-edward-1603
view all 14
Barbara Devereux's Timeline
Stowe, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Towthrope, Yorkshire, England
Abt. 1562 Yorkshire, England
Towthorpe, North Yorkshire, England
Towthorpe, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom