|Nicknames:||"Henry le Scrope"|
|Birthplace:||Bolton, Yorkshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Carlisle, Cumberland, England|
Son of John le Scrope, 8th Lord of Bolton and Lady Catherine Clifford
|Occupation:||9th Baron Scrope|
Historical records matching Henry Scrope, 9th Baron Scrope of Bolton
About Henry Scrope
Henry Scrope, 9th Baron Scrope of Bolton
Sir Henry Scrope, 9th Baron Scrope of Bolton, KG (c. 1534 – 13 January 1592) was the son and heir of John Scrope, 8th Baron Scrope of Bolton and Catherine Clifford, daughter of Henry Clifford, Earl of Cumberland. He was Warden of the West Marches and Captain of Carlisle. He was Marshal of the Army during the siege of Leith in 1559 which saw the end of the "Auld Alliance" between Scotland and France.
In April 1568 Mary, Queen of Scots fled across the Solway Firth to England after losing the Battle of Langside. She landed at Workington, travelling from there to Cockermouth and from thence to Carlisle. Scrope was at court at the time, but hurried north with Sir Francis Knollys to take charge of her. After a brief imprisonment in Carlisle Castle Mary was moved with a large retinue of servants to Lord Scrope's home in Yorkshire, Bolton Castle. Six months later she was moved on to Tutbury Castle.
In 1559 The Catholic Northern Earls rebelled with the objective of releasing Mary, Queen of Scots from her imprisonment at Tutbury and reinstating the old religion. As Captain of Carlisle Scrope was involved in preventing the dissident Earls from marching into Scotland.
He was made a Knight of the Garter in 1584. He died in Carlisle on June 13, 1592 and was succeeded by his eldest son Thomas Scrope, 10th Baron Scrope of Bolton.
He married as his second wife Margaret Howard, daughter of Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Frances De Vere. They had two sons, the eldest of which was his heir, Thomas. His first wife was Mary, daughter of Edward North, 1st Baron North, who died in 1558. By her he had a daughter Mary, who married William Bowes of Streatlam.
- Sir Henry Scrope, 9th Lord Scrope1
- M, #61444, b. circa 1534, d. 13 June 1592
- Father John le Scrope, Baron Scrope of Bolton b. c 1515, d. 22 Jun 1549
- Mother Catherine Clifford2 b. 1517, d. 1598
- Sir Henry Scrope, 9th Lord Scrope was born circa 1534 at of Bolton, Yorkshire, England.1 He married Mary North, daughter of Sir Edward North, 1st Lord North and Alice Squire, circa 1554.1 Sir Henry Scrope, 9th Lord Scrope married Margaret Howard, daughter of Sir Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Frances Vere, before 10 September 1565.1 Sir Henry Scrope, 9th Lord Scrope died on 13 June 1592 at Carlisle, Cumberlandshire, England; Buried there on 15 or 22 August 1592.1
- Family 1 Mary North
- Family 2 Margaret Howard b. 30 Jan 1543, d. 17 Mar 1591
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XI, p. 548-549.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XI, p. 548.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2045.htm#i61444
- Henry Scrope, 9th Lord Scrope of Bolton1
- M, #176423, b. circa 1534, d. 13 June 1592
- Last Edited=10 Dec 2005
- Consanguinity Index=0.48%
- Henry Scrope, 9th Lord Scrope of Bolton was born circa 1534.1 He was the son of John le Scrope, 8th Lord Scrope of Bolton and Lady Catherine Clifford.1 He married Margaret Howard, daughter of Henry Howard, Earl of Surrey and Lady Frances de Vere, before 10 September 1565.2 He died on 13 June 1592 at Carlisle, Cumberland, England.1
- He gained the title of 9th Lord Scrope of Bolton.
- Child of Henry Scrope, 9th Lord Scrope of Bolton and Margaret Howard
- Thomas Scrope, 10th Lord Scrope of Bolton+1 b. c 1567, d. 2 Sep 1609
- 1. [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XI, page 548. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2. [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XI, page 549.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p17643.htm#i176423
- BOWES, Sir William (d.1611), of Streatlam, co. Dur.
- 1st s. of Sir George Bowes by his 1st w.; bro. of Robert II and half-bro. of Talbot. educ. St. John’s, Camb. 1565; ?L. Inn 10 Feb. 1571. m. (1) Mary (d.1588), da. of Henry, 9th Lord Scrope, 1da.; (2) Isabel, da. of Christopher Wray, wid. of Godfrey Foljambe, s.p. suc. fa. Aug. 1580. Kntd. 1586.1
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/bowes-sir-william-1611
- Henry SCROPE (9° B. Scrope of Bolton)
- Born: ABT 1534, Bolton, Yorkshire, England
- Died: 13 Jun 1592, Carlisle, England
- Buried: 15 Aug 1592, Carlisle, England
- Notes: See his Biography. http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/Bios/HenryScrope(9BBolton).htm
- Father: John SCROPE (8° B. Scrope of Bolton)
- Mother: Catherine CLIFFORD (B. Scrope of Bolton)
- ¿Married 1: Mary NORTH?
- Married: Margaret HOWARD (B. Scrope of Bolton) BEF 10 Sep 1565, Bolton, Yorkshire, England
- 1. Thomas SCROPE (10° B. Scrope of Bolton)
- 2. Henry SCROPE
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SCROPE.htm#Henry SCROPE (9° B. Scrope of Bolton)
- SCROPE, Henry (c.1570-1625), of Greenwich, Kent.
- b. c.1570, 2nd s. of Henry, 9th Lord Scrope of Bolton, Yorks. by his 2nd w. Lady Margaret Howard da. of Henry, Earl of Surrey; bro. of Thomas. educ. Emmanuel, Camb. 1585, MA 1588; G. Inn 1588. unm.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/scrope-henry-1570-1625
- SCROPE, Thomas (c.1567-1609), of Carlisle, Cumb.
- b. c.1567, s. and h. of Henry, 9th Lord Scrope of Bolton by his 2nd w., and bro. of Henry. m. c.1584, Philadelphia, da. of Henry, 1st Baron Hunsdon, 1s. Kntd. 1585. suc. fa. as 10th Lord Scrope 13 June 1592. KG 1599.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/scrope-thomas-1567-1609
-------------------- MP profile http://www.geni.com/people/Henry-Scrope-9th-Baron-Scrope-of-Bolton/6000000002435923561
Henry Scrope, 9th Baron Scrope of Bolton's Timeline
Bolton, Yorkshire, England
September 10, 1565
Bolton, Lancashire, England
Bolton, Lancashire, England
Greenwich, Kent, England
Ashley, Hampshire, England
June 13, 1592
Carlisle, Cumberland, England
April 20, 1929
December 2, 1929
September 23, 1958