Sigmund Von Schossberger de Tornyai, Her (1826 - 1900)

public profile

View Sigmund Von Schossberger de Tornyai, Her's complete profile:

  • See if you are related to Sigmund Von Schossberger de Tornyai, Her
  • Request to view Sigmund Von Schossberger de Tornyai, Her's family tree

Share

Nicknames: "Sigismund", "Zsigmond", "Schosberger"
Birthdate:
Death: Died in Budapest?
Occupation: Banking, Tobacco and Sugar abt. 3/25/1874; Royal Commissioner
Managed by: Peter Rohel
Last Updated:

About Sigmund Von Schossberger de Tornyai, Her

Enobled 1863, until 1873 Tura was owned by the Esterházy family, but they sold it to Baron Sigismund Schossberger

The Schossberger family (in Hungarian) ..Based on the grandiose plans of Miklós Ybl, the most well-known Hungarian architect of the time, constructions started on the family manor in Tura, Hungary bought from Prince Miklós Eszterházy in 1873. The constructions of the palace - often referred to as the little brother of the Opera house with its Neo-renaissance style - finished in 1883. They lived a calm, balanced, rather moderate noble life in the palace, from early spring until late fall, and were visited by numerous tycoons, aristocrats and bankers. For the perfect and successful functioning of economy they had to employ wage-workers, but since Zsigmond had no right for corvée the lord had farms built for them. On one of these (Harasztpuszta) the building is still standing, where the baron established an ungraded school. This is the same location where Béla Bartók collected some 156 folk-songs from maids in Tura in 1906.

At another location, Alsórét farm (Alsóréti tanya) intensive pheasant breeding was characteristic, since live animals were exported from there as well. After the unfortunate death of Zsigmond Schossberger in Oct 5, 1900 his son Viktor took over family businesses, together with the ownership of the palace. The castle got into hands that took care of not only building but developing the settlement as well. He donated a significant amount of money in order for the restoration of the Catholic Church in 1911. He also won 1st price in a Pest Comitatus tender for his forestation projects. From the 1930s on the financial status of the family started to relapse. They were forced to hand over and sell, from the thousands of hectares of their property, sites at first, then agricultural land areas necessary for their subsistence. After the death of Viktor his two children, Viktor and Klára inherited the family fortune.. The abandoned palace served as accommodation for Soviet soldiers during WWII, later on functioned as a hospital. It also operated as the local elementary school from 1946 - 1973. 1980 - 2003 the building had several owners.