Beatrix Brome (Shirley)
|Birthplace:||Shirley, Derbyshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Baddesley Clinton, Warwickshire, England|
Daughter of Sir Ralph Shirley, Kt. and Joan Shirley
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Beatrix Brome
- 'Beatrix Shirley1,2
- 'F, d. 10 July 1483
- Father Sir Ralph Shirley, Sheriff of Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire1,3 b. 23 Apr 1391, d. c 1443
- Mother Joan Basset1,3 b. c 1390, d. b 14 May 1419
- ' Beatrix Shirley married John Brome, Esq., son of John Brome and Joan Rody, circa 1439; They had 3 sons (Thomas, Nicholas, & John) and 4 daughters (Isabel, Elizabeth, Agnes, & Joyce).1,2 Beatrix Shirley died on 10 July 1483; Buried in the chancel at Baddesley Clinton, Warwickshire.1
- 'Family John Brome, Esq. b. c 1415, d. c 5 Nov 1469
- ◦Isabelle Brome+1,4 b. c 1440
- ◦Nicholas Brome, Esq., Sheriff of Warwickshire+1 b. c 1450, d. 10 Oct 1516
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 391.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 652.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 651-652.
- 4.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 599.
- 'Stemmata Shirleiana
- . . "Of Sir Thomas Shirley I find nothing memorable but his death, which happened before the 36th of Edward III. and that by Isabel, his wife, he had issue Hugh."* This Isabel was the daughter of Ralph Basset of Drayton, and sister, and at length heiress, of Ralph the last Baron. She afterwards married John de Wodhull, son of John de Wodhull, knt. Baron of Wodhull, by whom she had two daughters. She remarried Sir Gerard III. de Braybroke, knt. . . . .
- The circumstance of Sir Hugh Shirley, only son of Sir Thomas, not being mentioned in the Inquistitions taken on the death of the last Ralph Lord Basset has appeared to some genealogist to cast a doubt on the legitimacy of Isabel Basset, Sir Hugh's mother.* The lands, however, referred to in the Inquisitions were, as Dugdale observes, otherwise settled by an old entail, Sir Hugh merely succeeding to the property whereof his uncle was seised in fee. See the curious socuments in the Appendix, which appear to set this matter at res.T (App. LXXXIII. LXXXIV.)
- * For the legitimacy of Isabel Basset, see Collectanea Topog. and Genealog. vol. vii. pp. 256, 392. See also Nicolas's Synopsis of the Peerage, vol. i. p. 43, and Beltz's Memorials of the Order of the Garter, p. 162 note.
- T See also Sir Egerton Brydges' edition of Collins's Peerage, article, "Earl Ferrers," where Isabel Basset's legitimacy is ably vindicated.
- Sir Hugh Shirley had with Beatrix Braose his wife the manors of Wistneston or Wiston, Ashurst, Chiltington, Sloghton, Hion, and Iringtham in sussex, and Wedonhill, in the parish of Amersham, in Buckinghamshire.
- He had issue, besides Ralph, his son and heir, Elizabeth, his eldest daughter, Joan, married to Robert Newmarch, and Isabella, who wedded Sir John Cockayne of Ashbourne, in Derbyshire, knt. . . . The youngest daughter of Sir Hugh Shirley was Nicholaia, who, with Elizabeth, died unmarried.
- Ralph, son and heir of Sir Hugh Shirley, was in his thirteenth year when he lost his father at the battle of Shrewsbury (July 22, 1403), having been born on St. George's day (April 23) 1392. (App. LXXXV.) . . . .
- This Lady Joan, Sir Ralph's first wife, was the only daughter and heir, by Margaret, daughter of William Mering, of Thomas Basset, of Brailesford, . . . Sir Ralph Shirley had issue, by Joan his first wife, a son, named after, and who succeeded, his father; and a daughter 'Beatrix, who married John Brome, of Baddesley Clinton' . . . .
- Sir Ralph Shirley married secondly Alice, who according to Dugdale and the Harleian MSS. was the daughter of Sir John Cockayne, of Ashbourne, knt. . . . .
- The Lady Alice outlived her husband many years, and died on the Wednesday after Whitsunday 1466, in the sixth year of Edward VI.
Beatrix Brome's Timeline
Shirley, Derbyshire, England
<Clinton Parish, Baddesley, Warwick, England>
Baddesley, Clinton, Warwickshire, England
Baddesleyclinton, Worcestershire, England
Clinton Parish, Baddesley, Warwick, England
Baddesley, Clinton, Warwickshire, England
Brome, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom