Benjamin Franklin Sexton, Sr. of Virginia and Bath Co. Ky
|Birthplace:||Virginia, United States|
|Death:||Died in Bath, Knott County, Kentucky, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Toliver, Wolfe Co., KY|
Son of John Sexton and Margaret Sexton
|Managed by:||janet johnson|
Matching family tree profiles for Benjamin Franklin (1755 - 1831) Sexton, Sr. of Virginia and Bath Co. Ky (7)
About Benjamin Franklin (1755 - 1831) Sexton, Sr. of Virginia and Bath Co. Ky (7)
Tho his tombstone reads Maryland - it was put up years after the event - facts found point to that he was born in Virginia and not Maryland as stated on it.
Benjamin Franklyn Sexton
- MyHeritage Family Trees
- 8871508-3 in Jan Web Site, managed by Jan (Contact)
- Birth: Dec 1751 - Wythe County, Va
- Death: Mar 31 1831 - Morgan County, Kentucky
- Father: John Sexton
- Siblings: Joseph Sexton, Charles Sexton, Archibald Sexton, Zadock Sexton, William Sexton, John Sexton, Leah Welch (born Sexton), Pryor Sexton, <Private> Sexton
- Wife: Comfort Sexton (born Smith)
- Children: John Sexton, William Sexton, Obediah Sexton, Judith (Juda) Sexton, Benjamin Franklyn Sexton, Nancy Sexton, Amanda Lou Sexton, Mary Ann Sexton, Anne Cox (born Sexton)
Benjamin Is the son of John Sexton of Lunenburg, VA instead of James Sexton and Mary Lee as has been stated
Ancestry of Benjamin (these records are still on roots web hidden or because of spaces in files anmes fail to come up)
1. Unknown Sexton died Unknown. Children of Unknown Sexton are believed to be:
- 2 i. Robert Sexton, died Unknown. Robert was in Bedford Co when he sold his property in 1765.
* + 3 ii. John Sexton, born Abt. 1720; died Abt. 1763 in Lunenburg, VA.
3. John Sexton (Unknown1 died Abt. 1763 in Lunenburg, VA (Source: VA Lunenburg Co Court Order Bk 9 12 May 1763.). He married <Unnamed>. She died Unknown.
VA Lunenburg Co Court Order Bk 9 12 May 1763
Following orphans of John Sexton deceased were ordered to be bound out; William and Elizabeth, Benjamin and Archibald, and John.
John Sexton and Robert Sexton had bought land in Lunenburg Co in 1759. Robert sold his in 1765, Charles sold John's in 1772.
Children of John Sexton and <Unnamed> are:
- + 4 i. Charles Sexton, born Abt. 1745; died Unknown. He married ) <Unnamed>
- + 5 ii. William Sexton, was born February 11, 1746/47 in Lunenburg Co., VA (Source: Date on Tombstone.), and died December 31, 1830 in Corbin, Whitley, KY (Source: (1) Date on Tombstone., (2) Revolutionary War Pension Papers.). He married (1) <Unnamed> Bef. 1774. She died Bet. 1782 - 1785 in Grayson Co., Virginia. He married (2) Leah Free 1785 in Montgomery Co., VA (Source: Revolutionary War Pension Papers.), daughter of Isaac Ferree (?). She was born Abt. 1766 in New River, Grayson, VA (Source: (1) Revolutionary War Pension Papers and died August 18, 1839 in Hobbieville, Greene, IN.
- 6 iii. Elizabeth Sexton, born Abt. 1749; died Unknown. Ordered that the Church Wardens of Cornwall Parish bind out William and Elizabeth Sexton orphans of John Sexton deced to Peter Rawlings according to law. Lunenburg Co VA Court Order Book 9 pg 41, 12 May 1763
* + 7 iv. Benjamin Sexton, born 1752 in VA; died 1831 in Bath Co., KY. was born 1752 in VA (Source: tombstone.), and died 1831 in Bath Co., KY. He married Comfort Smith Abt. 1774 in Wythe Co., VA. She was born Abt. 1754, and died 1844 in Bath Co., KY.
- 8 v. Archibald Sexton, born Abt. 1755 in VA; died Abt. 1778 in Valley Forge Hospital. Henry Barnes lived in Cornwall Parish Lunenburg Co (later Charlotte Co) Va in 1763. Orphans Benjamin and Archibald Sexton were bound out to him.
7 i . Benjamin Sexton, born 1752 in VA; died 1831 in Bath Co., KY. was born 1752 in VA (Source: tombstone.), and died 1831 in Bath Co., KY.
He married Comfort Smith Abt. 1774 in Wythe Co., VA. She was born Abt. 1754, and died 1844 in Bath Co., KY.
Henry Barnes lived in Cornwall Parish Lunenburg Co (later Charlotte Co) Va in 1763. Orphans Benjamin and Archibald Sexton were bound out to him.
He served in the military Revolutionary War - Montgomery Co VA Militia. found at http://www.antiqueclockshop.com/thomas/tree/tree3/i81.htm#i4602
She uses source as - Willis Sexton, John Sexton's Family - From Revolution to Rebellion
Sexton banjamin private, capt david mosely's co, col john moslys regt,enlisted sept 21 1777,discharged sept 30 1777 service 15 days on expedition to saratoga including travel home.
Jun 24, 1794 A wagon road to be opened from Benjamin Sexton's Branch to the top of the ridge leading to the Mouth of Elk Creek, by marked trees. A wagon road from the top of the hill on this side of the river to George Martin's by the way of the courthouse. A road from Bellspur into the Flower Gap road by way of William Ross's... A road from Goodspur into the Flower Gap road at the Old Elkspur path.
1798,22 Mar--"This indenture made the twenty second day of March in the year of one thousand seven hundred and ninety eight and in the twenty second year of the Commonwealth Between William Saxson and Leah his wife of the County of Grayson and State of Virginia of the one part and '''Benjamin Saxson'''
of the County and State of aforesaid of the other part" for $300, land on Rock Creek, "dividing line between Pryor Saxson and Benjamin Saxson. [GCV Bk 1,p158-160] - Found at http://www.ls.net/~newriver/grayroad.htm
Grayson Co., VA deed book 2, p 146 1805 Benjamin & Comfort see 172 acres on Rock Creek in Grayson Co. to Pryor Sexton
Benjamin is on tax list for Grayson Co., VA for 1804, 1805, 1806. In 1810,
1811, 4 Nov--William Sexton Sr. of Knox Co. KY sells land on Rock Creek in Grayson County Virginia to Pryor Sexton, adjoining John Welsh, part of a tract of 404 acres granted to said William by patent, line between Benjamin and Pryor Sexton and said William, containg residue of the original survey deducting lands conveyed by said William to Benjamin and Pryor Sexton. Wit: William Sexton, Thornton Sexton [GCV Bk 3,p146]
1820, he is on Bath Co., census. (1811, Bath formed out of Montgomery).
he is on the 1830 Morgan Co., KY census (Morgan Co. formed out of Bath & Floyd Counties in 1823) as follows:
1830 U S Census: , Morgan, Kentucky, Page: 70; NARA Roll: M19-40;
- Name: Benjamin Sexton
- Home in 1830: , Morgan, Kentucky
- Free White Persons - Males - 70 thru 79: 1
- Free White Persons - Females - 70 thru 79: 1
- Total Free White Persons: 2
- Total - All Persons (Free White, Slaves, Free Colored):
Benjamin Sexton of Virginia and Bath Co. Ky died 1831 at age 78. His wife Comfort died 1844 at age 90. This info was published in the KENTUCKY EXPLORER 1998, p85 by Scott Sallee. The county may have been Wolfe Co., Ky."
Notes for COMFORT SMITH:
- She is apparently on 1840 census for Bath Co., with son, John's family, which shows 1 female, aged 90-100.
- Her last name is in dispute. No one can prove the Smith name, however, because it appears on her tombstone, I've used it here. The question is when was the tombstone put up and did they know her name?
Children of BENJAMIN SEXTON and COMFORT SMITH are:
- 27 i. WILLIAM SEXTON, b. Abt. 1778; d. Unknown.;
- 28 ii. OBEDIAH SEXTON, b. Abt. 1780; d. Unknown; 20
- 30 iii. JUDAH SEXTON, b. April 15, 1782; d. Unknown; m. JOHN COX.;
- 31 iv. BENJAMIN SEXTON, b. Abt. 1785 Wythe County, Virginia;; d. Unknown;
- 32 v. NANCY SEXTON, b. Abt. 1787; d. Unknown;
- 33 vi. AMANDA LOU SEXTON, b. Abt. 1790; d. Unknown; 21.
- 34 vii. MARY ANN SEXTON, b. Abt. 1791; d. Unknown; m. SOLOMON COX 28 April 1814, Bath County, Kentucky;
- viii. JOHN SEXTON, b. Abt. 1775; d. Unknown.
1. Patricia O'Connor, Patricia O' Conner Records, OUR SEXTON FAMILY (web site Revised Jun 9, 2001 /http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~smith/sexton/sexton.html)
Benjamin Franklin (1755 - 1831) Sexton, Sr. of Virginia and Bath Co. Ky (7)'s Timeline
Virginia, United States
May 14, 1775
Wythe County, Virginia, United States
May 14, 1775
Wythe Co., Va
April 15, 1782
Grayson Co VA
Wythe County, Virginia, United States
Grayson County, Virginia, United States
Grayson, VA, USA