Matching family tree profiles for Benjamin Rumsey
About Benjamin Rumsey
Benjamin Rumsey (October 6, 1734 Ã¢ÂÂ March 7, 1808) was an American jurist from Joppa, Maryland. He served as a delegate for Maryland in the Continental Congress in 1776 and 1777. For over twenty-five years, beginning in 1778, he was the chief judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals.
Benjamin was born at Bohemia Manor in Cecil County, Maryland. After attending Princeton, he read law and was admitted to the bar. He settled in Joppa before 1768 and lived there the rest of his life.
Rumsey was first elected to Maryland's lower house in 1771 as a member for Cecil County. After Harford County was formed in 1773, he represented it. He also represented it in the revolutionary conventions held between 1774 and 1776. Maryland sent him to the Continental Congress for three sessions in 1776 and 1777.
When a new state superior court (the Maryland Court of Appeals) was created in 1778, Rumsey was appointed as its first chief justice. He held that post until his retirement in 1806. He died at home in Joppa in 1808 and is buried in the Old St. John's Church Cemetery there. __________________________________________________________________________________
Benjamin Rumsey (1734Ã¢ÂÂ1808), the namesake of Rumsey Island and the Rumsey Mansion (the only colonial building that survived the decline of Joppa), was a delegate for Maryland to the Second Continental Congress, and the first Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals for over 25 years (1778Ã¢ÂÂ1806). In 1768 Rumsey married the widow of Colonel James Maxwell, who had been the primary landowner in Joppa, and who had the "Rumsey Mansion" built between 1720 and 1724. Rumsey relocated from Cecil County to Joppa sometime around 1771, after having the Rumsey Mansion substantially renovated. Benjamin Rumsey eventually acquired all the land where Joppa once stood, and all of the surrounding areas, and this came to be known as "Joppa Farm", a slave plantation. Upon Benjamin Rumsey's death in 1808, Joppa Farm passed to his son John Beal Rumsey and/or his grandson Charles Henry Rumsey. Upon Charles Henry Rumsey's death, his children sold Joppa Farm to the Murray family. James Murray is the last known private owner of Joppa Farm, though there was at least one more owner prior to the Panitz Brothers Company acquisition of Joppa Farm in or about 1961. Maryland Historical Society records indicate the property was owned by the ""Maryland-Virginia Joint Stock Land Bank" in 1936.