|Also Known As:||"Bernard Lumbert", "Bernard Lumbard", "Bernard Lumbort"|
|Birthplace:||Thorncombe, Dorsetshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Barnstable Village, Massachusetts, Colonial America|
|Place of Burial:||Massachusetts, United States|
Son of Thomas Lombard and (wife of Thomas) Lombard, 1st
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Bernard Lombard
About Bernard Lombard
was born about 1608 in Thornecombe, Dorset, England. He died after 20 Feb 1668/69 in (probably) Barnstable, MA. IMMIGRANT - Judy Goldbaum has last name of Lombart; Bonnie Hubbard has Lumbard and Lumbert. (See daughters notes for explanation.)
"Bernard had become a Plymouth freeman 3 Jan 1636-7 and after that he held a number of committee positions and was often on the grand jury. On 3 Oct 1652 he was approved by the court as ensign for the Barnstable military company. By 1664 he was one of only seven men in town who were called "Mr." In those times this title signified a man of public and social consideration (Stratton, p. 319, Otis, p. 218). In a deposition in 1668-9 Bernard called William Clarke of Yarmouth "Father Clarke," probably meaning father-in-law. He was probably married about 1632 in America, but may have been married in England, and it is also possible that a Clarke became his wife after the mother of his children died. So many records have been lost. It is not known when he died, but the 1668-9 deposition is the last record to mention his name." (Bonnie Grant, Lumbert Chapter)
Bernard Lombard was Ensign of the military company in Barnstable in 1652. In 1660 he was appointed by the colony court to lay out lands granted to inhabitants of Eastham. In 1665 he layed out the land in Chatham allowed to Wm. Nickerson.
Barnard came to Dorchester, MA about 1630 aboard the "Mary & John", where he was admitted a freeman 1 Apr 1634. He was in Scituate by late 1634 where his wife joined the Rev. John Lothrop's church 19 Apr 1635. He was one of the first settlers of Barnstable, moving to the new town with Rev. Lothrop's flock in the fall of 1639. His house lot was by the old mill, near the shore.
In 1660 he was appointed by the Colony Court to lay out lands granted to inhabitants of Eastham, MA, and in 1665 to lay out one hundred acres of land in Chatham, MA. In 1667 he was one of a committee to lay out lands in Succanesett (town name later changed to Falmouth). He was appointed Ensign in the Barnstable Militia in 1652. In 1664 he was one of only seven persons in the town allowed to use the prefix Mr., a title which at that time signified that its possessor was a man of public and social consideration.
Note: "Plymouth Colony, Its History - Part 3 Biographies", p.319 - Barnard Lombard. The name is also seen as Lumbart, Lumbert and similar variations. Bernard Lombard was born probably at Thorncombe, Dorset, ca. 1608. On 20 February 1668/69 he deposed that he was about age sixty. Bernard was the son of Thomas Lombard, and much of the information below is from Robert S. Wakefield, "The Lombard Family of Barnstable, Mass.," TAG 52:136-39. Bernard was first at Dorchester with his father. Moving to Plymouth County, he lived at Scituate, where he and his wife joined Lothrop's church 19 April 1635; he had a house at Scituate by 1636, and his daughter Mary was baptized there 8 October 1637. He became a Plymouth freeman 3 January 1636/37. In 1639 he moved to Barnstable with the Lothrop group. On 10 October 1643 the court ordered that if the townsmen of Barnstable did not appoint a place for their defense, it would have Mr. Thomas Dimmack, Anthony Annable, Henry Cobb, Henry Cogan, and Bernard Lombard do it. On 2 June 1646 Bernard Lombard was on the grand jury, a position he held a number of times. On 5 October 1652 he was approved by the court as ensign for the Barnstable military company. On 9 June 1653 Gyles Rickard was presented for lascivious carriage toward Mary Lombard, the daughter of Bernard Lombard. His children were Thomas, who married Elizabeth Derby; Abigail (also called Abia), who married James Claghorn; Mary, who married George Lewis; Martha, who married John Martin; and Jabez, who married Sarah Derby. In his 1668/69 deposition, Bernard called William Clark of Yarmouth "Father Clarke" and testified to Clarke's nuncupative will leaving everything he had to Joseph Benjamin, Bernard's brother-in-law.
History of Marthas Vineyard, by Edward Banks
Page: Vol 3 - Family Genealogies, Pg 228
The name is also seen as Lumbart, Lumbert and similar variations. Bernard Lombard was born probably at Thorncombe, Dorset, ca. 1608. On 20 February 1668/69 he deposed that he was about age sixty (MD 17:109). Bernard was the son of Thomas Lombard, q.v., and much of the information below is from Robert S. Wakefield, "The Lombard Family of Barnstable, Mass.," TAG 52:136-39. Bernard was first at Dorchester with his father. Moving to Plymouth County, he lived at Scituate, where he and his wife joined Lothrop's church 19 April 1635; he had a house at Scituate by 1636, and his daughter Mary was baptized there 8 October 1637 (NEHGR 10:42, 9:279, 281). He became a Plymouth freeman 3 January 1636/37 (PCR 1:48). In 1639 he moved to Barnstable with the Lothrop group. On 10 October 1643 the court ordered that if the townsmen of Barnstable did not appoint a place for their defense, it would have Mr. Thomas Dimmack, Anthony Annable, Henry Cobb, Henry Cogan, and Bernard Lombard do it (PCR 2:65). On 2 June 1646 Bernard Lombard was on the grand jury (PCR 2:102), a position he held a number of times. On 5 October 1652 he was approved by the court as ensign for the Barnstable military company (PCR 3:17). On 9 June 1653 Gyles Rickard was presented for lascivious carriage toward Mary Lombard, the daughter of Bernard Lombard (PCR 3:36). His children were Thomas, who married Elizabeth Derby; Abigail (also called Abia), who married James Claghorn; Mary, who married George Lewis; Martha, who married John Martin; and Jabez, who married Sarah Derby. In his 1668/69 deposition, Bernard called William Clark of Yarmouth "Father Clarke" and testified to Clarke's nuncupative will leaving everything he had to Joseph Benjamin, Bernard's brother-in-law (MD 17:109).
Plymouth Colony, History and People
- The New England Historical & Genealogical Register and ..., Volume 12
- NOTES ON THE LOMBARD FAMILY.
- FIRST GENERATION.
- 1. Bernard Lombard, of Scituate, 1633 ; freeman, 1636 ; Barnstable, 1640 ; married ----, and had
- [3.] 2. Joshua, b.
- [4.] 3. Jabez, bapt. July 4, 1641 ;
- 4. Martha, bapt. Oct. 2, 1639 ; m. John Martin, 1657.
- 5. Mary, bapt. Oct. 8, 1657 ; m. George Lewis, jr., 1654
- Margaret Lumbard m. Edward Coleman of Boston, Oct. 27, 1648.
- 2. Thomas Lombard of Barnstable, 1641 ; m. ---- , and had
- [5.] 6. Jedidiah, bapt. Sept. 19, 1641 ;
- [6.] 7. Benjamin, bapt. Aug. 5, 1643 ;
- 8 Caleb ;
- [7.] 9. Thomas.
- SECOND GENERATION.
- 3. Joshua Lombard m. Abigail Linnett, May 27, 1651, and had
- 10. Abigail, b. Apr. 6, 1652 ;
- 11. Mercy, b. June 15, 1655 ;
- [8.] 12. Jonathan, b. April 28, 1657 ;
- [8 1/2] 13. Joshua, b. Jan. 16, 1660;
- He joined the church, March 14, 1646.
- 4. Jabez Lombard m. Sarah Derby, Dec. 1, 1660, and had,
- 14. Elizabeth, b. June, 1663 ;
- 15. Mary, b. April, 1666 ;
- [9.] 16. Bernard, b. April, 1668; '
- 17. John, b. April, 1670 ;
- 18. Mathew, b. Aug. 28, 1672 ;
- 19. Mehitable, b. Sept. 1674 ;
- 20. Abigail, b. April, 1677 ;
- [10.] 21. Nathaniel O., b. Aug., 1679 ;
- 22. Hepzibah, b. Dec. 1, 1681.
- 5. Jedidiah Lombard m. Hannah Wing, May 20, 1668, and had
- 23. Jedidiah, b. Dec. 25, 1669 ; m. Hannah Lewis, Nov. 8, 1699 ;
- 24. Thomas, b. June 22, 1671 ;
- 25. Hannah, b. Aug., 1673 ;
- 26. Experience, b. April, 1677.
- 6. Benjamin Lombard m. Jane Warren, Sept. 19, 1672, and had
- 27. Mercy, b. Nov. 2, 1673 ;
- [11.] 28. Benjamin, b. Sept. 27, 1675 ;
- 29. Hope, b. March 26, 1679 ;
- His wife dying Feb. 27, 1682, he m. 2d, Sarah Walker, Nov. 19, 1683, and had
- 30. Sarah, b. Oct. 29, 1688 ;
- 31. Bathshua, b. May 4, 1687 ;
- 32. Mary, b. June 17, 1688 ;
- 33. Samuel, b. Sept. 15, 1691.
- She died Nov. 6, 1693, and he married, 3d, widow Hannah Whetstone, May 24, 1694, and had
- 34. Temperance, b. May 25, 1695;
- 35. Martha, b. Dec. 28, 1704.
- 7. Thomas Lombard m. Elizabeth Derby, Dec. 23, 1665, and had
- 36. Sarah, b. Dec. 1666.
-  37. Thomas, b. March, 1667.
- 38. Elizabeth, b. Sep:. 1668 ;
- 39. Mary, b. April, 1669 ;
- 40. Hannah, b. Dec. 1671 ;
- 41. Jabez, b. Feb. 1673, d. 1673 ;
- 42. Patience, b. May, 1676;
- 43. Bethiah, b. July, 1680 ;
- 44. Bathshua, b. Aug. 1682 ;
- 45. Rebecca, b. Sept. 1676 ;
- 46. Patience.
- THIRD GENERATION.
- .... etc.
- A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of ... (1861) Vol. III
- LOMBARD, LUMBORT, or LUMBART, BENJAMIN, Barnstable, youngest s. of Thomas the first, m. 19 Sept 1672, Jane Warren, prob. d. of Nathaniel, wh. d. 27 Feb. 1683, had Mercy, b. 2 Nov. 1673 ; Benjamin, 27 Sept 1675 ; and Hope, 26 Mar. 1679 ; and he m. 19 Nov. 1685, sec w. Sarah Walker, had Sarah, 29 Oct. 1686; Bathshua, 4 May 1687 ; Mary, 17 June 1688 ; and Samuel, 15 Sept 1691. His w. d. 6 Nov. 1693, and he m. 24 May foll. wid. Hannah Whetstone, had Temperance, 25 May 1695; and Martha, 28 Dec. 1704. BERNARD, s. of Thomas, b. in O. E. took the o. of freem. in Mass. 1 Apr. 1634, when he was, perhaps, of Dorchester, but soon went to Scituate, where he may have been earlier, but with his w. join, the ch. 19 Apr. 1635, thence to Barnstable, with Lothrop, hav. then Joshua, and Mary, bapt. at S. 8 Oct 1637, not 57 as in Geneal. Reg. XII. 249, the former, perhaps, b. in Eng. but at B. where he was ensign 1652, had Martha, bapt. 3 Nov. 1639, not, as in Geneal. Reg. XII. 249, perhaps d. soon, for in Col. Rec. is Martha, b. 19 Sept 1640, tho. we may suspect error in this; and
- Jabez, 4 July 1641 ; yet Col. Rec. makes this b. 1 July 1642. When he d. I kn. not, but presume it was aft. 1664. Mr. Hamblen discov. that he was b. 1607 or 8. Mary m. 1 Dec. 1654, George Lewis, jr. ; and Martha m. 1 July 1657, John Martin. DAVID, Springfield 1676, s. of John, had Mary, b. 1677 ; Margaret, 1679 ; Abigail, 1682 ; John, 1685 ; David, 1690; Ebenezer, 1692; and Joseph, 1696; beside two that d. soon; and he d. 17 Aug. 1716. JABEZ, Barnstable, s. of Bernard, m. 1 Dec 1660, Sarah, d. of Martha Derby, had a s. b. 18 Feb. 1662, d. very soon; Eliz. June 1663; Mary, Apr. 1666; Bernard, Apr. 1668; John, Apr. 1670; Matthew, 28 Aug. 1672; Mehitable, Sept 1674; Abigail, Apr. 1677 ; Nathaniel, 1 Aug. 1679 ; and Hepzibah, Dec 1681. JEDEDIAH, Barnstable, s. of Thomas the first, m. 20 May 1668, Hannah Wing, had Jedediah, b. 25 Dec 1669 ; Thomas, 22 June 1671 ; Hannah, Aug. 1673, and Experience, Apr. 1675 or 77. JOHN, Springfield 1646, m. at New Haven, 1 Sept. 1647, Joanna Pritchard, had John, b. 1648, d. at 24 yrs. ; David, 1650, bef. ment ; and Nathaniel, 1654, d. young; and he d. 15 May 1672. This name was at S. writ. Lumbard, as sound. JONATHAN, Barnstable, s. of the first Joshua, m. 11 Dec 1683, Eliz. Eddy, d. perhaps of Zechariah, had Jonathan, b. 20 Nov. 1684; Alice, 19 Oct 1686; Ebenezer, 1 Feb. 1688; and Abigail, 12 July 1691. JOSHUA, Barnstable, s. perhaps of Bernard, prob. b. in Eng. but may be more prob. of Thomas, m. 27 May 1651, Abigail, d. of Robert Linnell, had Abigail, b. 6, bapt 11 Apr. 1652; Mercy, 15 June 1655; Jonathan, 28 Apr. 1657 ; and Joshua, 16 Jan. 1661. JOSHUA, Barnstable, s. prob. of the preced. m. 6 Nov. 1 682, Hopestill Bullock, had Mercy, b. 16 Mar. 1684; Hopestill, 15 Nov. 1686; Joshua, 5 Aug. 1688; Samuel, 1 June 1690; Abigail, 20 Jan. 1692; Mary, 22 Nov. 1697 ; Eliz. 22 Apr. 1700; and Jonathan, 16 Apr. 1703; and d. Oct 1724. RICHARD, Scituate 1640, was of Tenterden, Co. Kent, and went home that yr. says Deane. THOMAS, Dorchester, came, prob. bringing Bernard, and two other ch. in the Mary and John 1630, req. to be made freem. 19 Oct of that yr. and was adm. 18 May foll. rem. in few yrs. perhaps to Scituate first, but to Barnstable by 1640, had Jedediah there, bapt 19 Sept 1641 ; and Benjamin, not 5 (as in Geneal. Reg. XII. 249) but 27 Aug. 1643. That he had other ch. of wh. one or two must have been b. in Eng. is plain eno. from his will of 23 Mar. 1663, in wh. while he names these, he ment. that he formerly gave prop, to s. Barnard; Joshua ; Joseph, b. a. 1638 ; and s.-in-law Edward Colman, wh. m. 27 Oct 1648, his d. Margaret; provides for w. Joyce, and s. Caleb. Perhaps he had, also, younger d. Jemima, wh. may have made a runaway match with Joseph Benjamin at Boston, 10 June 1661 ; and liv. many yrs. aft. her f. at New London. THOMAS, Barnstable, perhaps br.
- perhaps s. of Bernard, m. 28 Dec. 1665, Eliz. Darby or Derby, had Sarah, b. Dec. 1666; Thomas; Eliz.; Mary; Hannah; Jabez ; Rebecca ; Bethia ; Bathshua ; and Patience, given by Mr. Hamblen from the rec. Geneal. Reg. XII. 249, with so many inconsist dates that we kn. not wh. may be correct. In Col. Rec. we read, "Joseph, Benjamin, and Jeremiah, 10 June 1671," wh. perhaps, means that they d. or were bur. that day at B.
- MARSTON, * BENJAMIN, Salem, s. of John, .... etc.
- Pg. 161
- .... JOHN, Barnstable, m. 1 July 1657, Martha, d. of Bernard Lombard, had John, b. a. 15 June 1658 ; and George, a. 4 Oct. 1660 ; rem. to Swansey, there, by w. Joan, had Melatiah, 31 Aug. 1673. JOHN, Andover .... etc.
- MARTIN, ABRAHAM, Hingham .... etc.
- .... JOHN, Barnstable, m. 1 July 1657, Martha d. of Bernard Lombard, had John, b. June 1658; George, Oct 1660; and Desire, 1 Jan. 1663. He rem. to Martha's Vineyard. JOHN, Chelmsford, .... etc.
- The Spirit of '76: Devoted to the Principles, Incidents, and ..., Volumes 10-12
- MARSTON, JOHN, Barnstable; married, 1st July, 1657, Martha, daughter of Bernard Lombard; had John born 15th June, 1658; and George, 4th October, 1660; removed to Swansey; there by wife Joan had Melatiah, born 31st August, 1673.
- .... etc.
- MARTIN, JOHN, of Barnstable; married, 1st July, 1657, Martha, daughter of Bernard Lombard: had John, born June, 1658; George, born October, 1660; and Desire, born 1st January, 1663. He removed to Martha's Vineyard.
- Bernard Lombard
- Birth: 1608 Somerset, England
- Death: 1667 Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- As one of his 9th Great Grandsons, may records show that he was born in 1608 in Thomcombe, Dorset, England and that he came to New England in 1630 on the Mary and John.
- Family links:
- Mary Clarke Lombard*
- Jabez Lombard (1642 - 1673)*
- Burial: Old Burying Ground, Brewster, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 108454783
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=108454783
- CLARK, Joyce
- b. ABT 1614 England
- d. 19 SEP 1683 Barnstable, Barnstable, Mass.
- Marriage: 1635 Barnstable, Barnstable, Mass.
- Spouse: LOMBARD, Bernard
- b. ABT 1607 England
- d. ABT 1663 Barnstable, Barnstable, Mass.
- LOMBARD, Abiah
- LOMBARD, Mary
- LOMBARD, Martha
- LOMBARD, Jabez
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_9f5.htm#83
- Genealogical Guide to the Early Settlers of America: With a Brief History of ... Vol. II By Henry Whittemore
ABOUT SAME AS A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers ... & The Spirit of '76 .... ___________
Bernard Lombard's Timeline
July 2, 1580
Thorncombe, Dorset, ENG
Thorncombe, Dorsetshire, England, United Kingdom
Thorncombe, Dorset, ENG
<, Scituate, , Massachusetts>
Yarmouth, Barnstable, Mass
of Barnstable, Barnstable, Massachusetts, USA
Barnstable, MA, USA