About Alexander Gibb
Gibb, Sir Alexander. 12/02/1872-21/01/1958. Ref: 2492. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Brigadier-General, CB(1918), KBE (1918), GBE (1920).
- Place of Birth: Broughty Ferry, Angus.
- Place of Death: Hartley Wintney,Hampshire.
- Profession: Civil Engineer.
- Appointments Held: Director-general 1919-21, Civil Engineering, Ministry of Transport; Consulting Engineer 1921-,Partner 1922-, Sir Alexander Gibb & Partners.
- Schools and Tutors: Dundee High School. Abbey School, Beckenham, Kent, Rugby * School.Warwickshire.
- Training: Articled to J W Barry and H M Brunel.
- Postgraduate Studies: LL.D (Hon Edinburgh).
- Publications: "The Story of Telford-The Rise of Civil Engineering" 1935.
- Marital Status: Married (1900) Norah Isobel Monteith.
- Mother: Hope Brown Paton.
- Father: Alexander Easton Gibb, Civil Engineer.
- War Service: 1914-18. Chief Engineer, ports construction, British Army in France 1916, Colonel RE. Civil Engineer in Chief to the Admiralty 1918.
- References: DNB 1951-1960, 1971, 405-7; Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society, 5, 1959,75-85 signed G.P.Harrison and A.J.S.Pippard (portrait), 86 catalogue of publications; RSE Year Book 1960, 44-5; Who Was Who 5.
- Memberships: FRS (1936), M.Inst.CE (1917, President 1936-7), Royal Meteorological Socoiety, FRGS, FGS, FZS.
- Date of Election: 15/06/1914.
- Proposers: J Mackay Bernard, Sir Thomas Hudson Beare, Ernest Maclagan Wedderburn, William Archer Tait (Billet 4/5, 25/5, 1/6/1914).
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002, pt. 1. A-J, page 352
- Wikipedia contributors, "Alexander Gibb", Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
Brigadier General Sir Alexander Gibb, GBE, CB's Timeline
February 12, 1872
Broughty Ferry, Angus, Scotland
April 2, 1901
May 18, 1907
January 21, 1958
Hartley Wintney, Hampshire, England