|Death:||Died in Madison, Alabama, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, Madison, Alabama, United States|
Son of Henry Pendleton Isbell, II and Hannah Isbell
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Capt. Godfrey Isbell
About Capt. Godfrey Isbell
- DAR Ancestor #: A201939
- Service: NORTH CAROLINA Rank(s): CAPTAIN, CIVIL SERVICE, PATRIOTIC SERVICE
- * Revolutionary War soldier, North Carolina Militia.
- * Battle of King's Mountain, Battle of Musgroves Mill.
- War of 1812 Service: Corporal Company: 7 REG'T (GRAY'S) VIRGINIA MILITIA.
"1771, Charlotte, Albermarle Co., Va.Godfrey Isbell, Thomas Isbell, and Pendleton Isbell posted a bond of 50,000.00 lbs for Godfrey's appearance in court to answer to the charge that he did beat and ill treat David Gordon. (ref., John Carlton of Orange County and Albemarle County, Virginia by George H. Caldwell)"
"There is a story handed down in the Chapman family that during the Revolutionary War Godfrey Isbell murdered a John Chapman, who was a Loyalist. I have often wondered if this court record may have referred to that murder. Unfortunately, this record and the two similar records dated 1784, do not mention just who Godfrey is supposed to have murdered. Although I have gone through the loose Wilkes County and Morgan District papers that are in the North Carolina archives, I have not been able to find that a trial was actually held regarding the murder charge. Godfrey went into hiding at the suggestion of his attorney, but he doesn't appear to have left Wilkes County until he and his supposed brother, Pendleton Isbell, migrated to South Carolina with a large group of settlers led by Colonel Benjamin Cleveland and his brothers sometime around 1788-89."
Here is a very brief time line of Godfrey Isbell's migrations:
- 1771 - Charlotte County, VA
- 1774 - Ninety-Six District, SC
- 1778 - Washington County, NC (now Tennessee)
- 1780 - Battle of King's Mountain
- 1781 - Wilkes County, NC (witness to marriage of Thomas Isbell and Descretion Howard)
- 1789 - Pendleton District, SC
- 1794 - Madison County, KY
- 1797/98 - Lincoln County, KY
- 1799 - Cumberland County, KY
- 1801 - Wayne County, KY
- 1807 - Warren County, TN
- 1816 - Jabez Isbell appointed administrator of Godfrey Isbell's estate in Madison County, Mississippi Territory (now Alabama)
Capt. Godfrey Isbell's Timeline
Madison, Alabama, United States
Huntsville, Madison, Alabama, United States