|Death:||Died in Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts|
|Cause of death:||Fever|
|Place of Burial:||Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Capt. Richard Martin
Capt. Richard Martin, of Charlestown
- Birth: abt 1632
- Death: 2 Nov 1694 Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Captain of the ship "Blossom."
- before 1663 to Elizabeth Trumbull
- 29 Nov 1689 to Elizabeth, widow of Joshua Edmunds. Perhaps her maiden name was William.
- Richard Martin, in Wyman, Thomas Bellows. The Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown, Massachusetts: in the County of Middlesex and Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1629-1818. (Boston, Mass.: David Clapp and Son, 1879), II:658. "Capt. of ship "Blossom," for Nevis &c. 1665; … d. Nov. 2, 1694, æ. 62 g.s. of fever (record)."
- Joslyn, Roger D. Vital records of Charlestown, Massachusetts to the year 1850. (Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1984-1995), 1:163. "Mr. Richard Martin, 62, fever, d. Nov. 2, 1694."
- New England Marriages Prior to 1700 by Clarence Almon Torrey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1997. pg. 493, pg 494
- Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of Boston and Eastern Massachusetts, Volume 3 (Google eBook). William Richard Cutter. Lewis historical Publishing Company, 1908 - Boston (Mass.). Page 1506. "In the most excellent work MARTIN entitled "Genealogies and Estates of Charlestown," the compiler takes an account of several heads of families of Martins who were settled in that town during the colonial period and afterward for a century and a half. Among these earlier progenitors, between whom the author traces no relationship, were: John Martin, inhabitant, 1636; Thomas Martin, inhabitant, 1638; Richard Martin, captain of the ship "Blossom," 1665; ...."
- The Spirit of '76: Devoted to the Principles, Incidents, and ..., Volumes 10-12
- MARTIN, RICHARD, of Charlestown, a captain, died 2d November, 1694, aged 62 years and his widow Elizabeth died 7th January, 1726 aged 84 years, says the gravestones, but he had not lived there most of his days, for the list of householders in 1678 does not give the baptized name, but simpy "Mr. Martin," and it is not thought to mean either John or Thomas, and Coffin authorizes to conjecture that he was of Newbury; had son Richard, born 8th Januray, 1674. A former wife, Elizabeth, died 6th October, 1689; and his second wife married, 28th November same year, was widow of Joshua Edmonds.
- A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England: Showing Three Generations of ... (1861) Vol. III
- .... RICHARD, Charlestown, a capt d. 2 Nov. 1694, aged 62, and his wid. Eliz. d. 7 Jan. 1726, aged 84, say the gr.stones; but he had prob. not liv. there most of his days, for the list of house-holders in 1678, Frothingham, 183, tho. it gives the prefix of respect, tells not the bapt name, but indicates barely Mr. Martin's, and there is reason to think it did not mean either John's or Thomas's, and Coffin authorizes the conject. that he was of Newbury, had Richard, b. 8 Jan. 1674. A former w. Eliz. d. 6 Oct 1689 ; and the sec. m. 28 Nov. foll, was wid. of Joshua Edmonds. ROBERT, freem. of Mass. .... etc.
- Genealogical Guide to the Early Settlers of America: With a Brief History of ... Vol. II By Henry Whittemore
ABOUT SAME AS A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers ... & The Spirit of '76 .... ___________
Capt. Richard Martin's Timeline
November 28, 1689
Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts
November 2, 1694
Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Charlestown, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States