Matching family tree profiles for Capt. Thomas Harwood
About Capt. Thomas Harwood
Thomas was the first of the Warwick Harwoods to arrive in Virginia. He landed at Jamestown shortly after the 1622 Indian Massacre joining his uncle, Sir Edward Harwood, a Virginia Company stockholder, and his brother William. Thomas, who moved in the colony's circle of influential persons, initially settled near Jamestown where he was joined by his wife Grace. In 1624, they moved to Mulberry Island tenanting Captain William Pierce's house.
In 1626, Harwood received a patent of 100 acres between two creeks at Blunt Point near Deep Creek and the Warwick River called Harwood Neck. This land proved to be poor for farming and he moved back to Mulberry Island. During this time he helped lead militia raids against the Indians which earned him the rank of captain. In 1629, he was elected to the House of Burgesses. Harwood's success led him to become part of the Kiskiak settlement further inland and to begin acquiring land along Skiffes Creek. Harwood added to his land holdings throughout the decade, naming his plantation Queen's Hith, an Old English term meaning "river landing."
Thomas Harwood was very active in the colony's government serving as a burgess for over 20 years and becoming Speaker of the House of Burgesses in 1644. He continued to serve the colony in several posts, including tobacco inspector and councilor until his death. Thomas' grandson, Humphrey (1642-1697), inherited his father's property and continued to expand the holdings, amassing 3,644 acres east of Skiffes Creek by 1680. Like his father, Humphrey was very active in the militia and in local politics, serving Warwick County as a county justice, sheriff, and burgess from 1685 until his death.
from: The Harwood History http://www.endview.org/harwood-history.php