John Stanley (c.1624 - 1706) MP

‹ Back to Stanley surname

9

Matches

0 1 8
Adds burial place and spouse(s).

View John Stanley's complete profile:

  • See if you are related to John Stanley
  • Request to view John Stanley's family tree

Share

Birthplace: Ashford, Kent, England
Death: Died in Farmington, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
Managed by: Thomas Shirley
Last Updated:

About John Stanley

Stanley-Whitman House original owner

When only 13 years old living in Hartford, CT with his uncle Thomas, John Stanley went on the expedition against the Pequot Indians. Later, he settled in Farmington, CT and became one of the most important men in the town.

He married his first wife on Dec. 5, 1645. She was Sarah Scott, daughter of Thomas and Anne Scott of Hartford, CT. On his same day, John's sister Ruth, age 16, married Isaac Moore. They settled in Farmington, CT. John Stanley and his wife were received into the church on Jan. 30, 1652-3, and when graded according to dignity they ranked 4th out of 40 families. He was one of the most distinguished of the colonists being appointed by his townsmen to nearly every office of trust and honor. He was a deputy to the general court almost continually for 37 years from 1659 to 1696; this is the longest term of service known in the annals of the state. [Ref: Film #908714 U.S. L.D.S. Library, Salt Lake City, Utah]. In the King Philip's War he was a lieutenant, and then a captain for which he obtained the appellation by which he was commonly known, "Captain John Stanley".

John Stanley was constable in Farmington in 1654; sergeant in 1669; ensign in 1674; captain in 1676; received a grant of 120 acres of land from the General Court in 1674; another in 1687; was one of a committee on Indian affairs or troubles in 1689, etc.

Farmington is often called the "second mother" of Connecticut. It was formed from the overflow of settlers from Hartford, Wethersfield and Windsor. Its streets of old homes overlooking a river vista is one of the finest in the state. Here are the simple "salt-box" houses which with two stories in front and one in the rear suggest old salt boxes in shape. The Stanley-Whitman House, now the Farmington Museum, was of this style. It was built around 1665 [Ref: "Farmington Town Clerks and Their Times" by Mabel S. Hurlburst, 1943] by Capt. John Stanley for his second wife, Sarah Stoddard. Through the civic interest and generosity of the late Mrs. Laura Dunham Barney, the house has been restored to its original detail of construction and finish and reinforced with fireproof addition.

After John Stanley's death in 1706, his eldest son Dr. John Stanley sold the place to Ebenezer Steel. In turn, it was sold to Rev. Samuel Whitman as a home for his son. Still later, in 1922, it was purchased by Mr. D.N. Barney to become the Farmington Museum.

Farmington today is the home of the private girls' school Miss Porter's where Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy attended. Farmington is also the home of the University of Connecticut School of Medicine.

view all 18

Capt. John Stanley's Timeline

1603
December 28, 1603
Ashford, Kent, England
1624
January, 1624
Ashford, Kent, England
1640
1640
Age 16
Topsfield, Essex, MA
1645
December 5, 1645
Age 21
Hartford,Hartford,CT
1647
November 4, 1647
Age 23
Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut, USA
1649
November 1, 1649
Age 25
Farmington, Connecticut, United States
1649
Age 25
Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut
1651
February 18, 1651
Age 27
Farmington, Connecticut, United States
1654
May 17, 1654
Age 30
Hartford, Hrtfrd, CT
1657
April 5, 1657
Age 33
Hartford, Hrtfrd, Connecticut, USA