Matching family tree profiles for Catherine Blount
About Catherine Blount (Leigh)
- Catherine Leigh
- F, #81109, b. circa 1539
- Father Thomas Leigh b. c 1510
- Mother Joan Cotton b. c 1513
- Catherine Leigh was born circa 1539 at of Yorkshire, England. She married James Blount, son of Charles Blount, 5th Lord Mountjoy and Anne Willoughby, on 17 May 1558 at Thurveston, Derbyshire, England. Catherine Leigh was buried on 25 June 1576 at St. Leonard's Shoreditch, London, Middlesex, England.
- Family James Blount b. c 1537, d. 20 Oct 1581
- Sir Christopher Blount b. c 1560, d. 18 Mar 1601
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2699.htm#i81109
- James BLOUNT (6º B. Mountjoy)
- Born: ABT 1533, Newport, Devonshire, England
- Died: 20 Oct 1582/3, Hook, Dorset, England
- Father: Charles BLOUNT (5° B. Mountjoy)
- Mother: Anne WILLOUGHBY (B. Mountjoy)
- Married: Catherine LEIGH (b. 1539) (dau. of Thomas Leigh of St Oswalds and Joan Cotton) 17 May 1558, Thurveston, Derby, England
- 1. William BLOUNT (7º B. Mountjoy)
- 2. Charles BLOUNT (1º E. Devonshire)
- 3. Christopher BLOUNT (Sir)
- 4. Anne BLOUNT
- 5. Edward BLOUNT (Mountjoy's servant & F.F. publisher?)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BLOUNT1.htm#James BLOUNT (6º B. Mountjoy)
- James Blount, 6th Baron Mountjoy, (c. 1533 – 1582) was an English peer.
- James Blount was born circa 1533 in Newport, Devon, the eldest son of Charles Blount, 5th Baron Mountjoy (1516–1544) and Ann Willoughby. He inherited his title on the death of his father. He was made a Knight of the Bath at the coronation of Queen Mary (29 September 1553); and was Lord Lieutenant of Dorset in 1559.
- He was one of the commissioners who tried the Duke of Norfolk (1572), and spent the fortune of his family in the pursuit of alchemy. Sir William Cecil encouraged him in the manufacture of alum and copperas between 1566 and 1572.
- Blount also had a reputation as a supporter of Protestantism, in line with that of his father and grandfather. Henry Bennet lauded him in 1561, mentioning also his patronage of Eliseus Bomelius, and the same year Jean Veron dedicated to him an anti-papal tract.
- He married on 17 May 1558 Catherine Leigh, daughter of Thomas Leigh of St. Oswalds. They had 5 children, William, Charles, Christopher, Ann and Edward.
- On his death on 10 October 1582 in Hook, Dorset the title passed to his eldest son William Blount, 7th Baron Mountjoy.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Blount,_6th_Baron_Mountjoy
- BLOUNT, Charles (1563-1606), of Canford Magna, Dorset and Wanstead, Essex.
- b. 1563, 2nd s. of James, 6th Lord Mountjoy, by Catherine, da. of Thomas Lee of St. Oswalds, Yorks. educ.Winchester scholar 1573; Oxf.; Clifford’s Inn; M. Temple 1579. m. 26 Dec. 1605, Lady Penelope Devereux (d. 7 July 1607), da. of Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex, div. w. of Robert Rich, 3rd Baron Rich, 2s. 2da. all illegit. 1 posth. ch. Kntd. 1587; KG 1597; suc. e. bro. as 8th Lord Mountjoy 1594; cr. Earl of Devonshire 1603.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/blount-charles-1563-1606
Catherine Blount's Timeline
May 17, 1558
Derby, United Kingdom