Catherine Josselyn (Le Braye)
|Also Known As:||"Katherine Bray", "Katherine Le Braye", "Catherine Lebray", "Katherine LeBraye"|
|Birthplace:||Sheering, Essex, UK|
|Death:||Died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, England|
|Cause of death:||After 1455|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Catherine Josselyn (le Braye)
NOTICE THAT THERE ARE TWO GEOFFREY'S WITH DIFFERENT DEATH DATES ONE IN 1425 AND THAT OF HIS SON IN 1470, THEY ARE BOTH LISTED AS BEING MARRIED TO KATHERINE'S AND JOAN'S. SOME REFERENCES OMIT ONE GEOFFREY.
- 'The New England historical and genealogical register, Volume 71 By Henry Fitz-Gilbert Waters, New England Historic Genealogical Society
- Pg. 237
- 13. RALPH13 JOCELYN, of Hide Hall in Sawbridgeworth, co. Herts, succeeded to his father's lands not later than 1373 and died about 1383. he married MARGARET DE PATMER, daughter and heiress or coheiress of John, this John de Patmer being son of John and Sara de Patmer and grandson of Philip de Patmer of Patmer Hall and his wife, who was daughter and heiress of John Bawde of Somerby, co. Lincoln. in 1373 Ralph Jacelyn held half a knight's fee in Sawbridgeworth.
- Pg. 239
- 14. JEFFREY14 JOCELYN, of Hide Hall in Sawbridgewoth, co. Herts, died in 1425. Perhaps he married first KATHERINE ___, daughter of Thomas, Lord Bray; and he married, perhaps secondly, JOAN ___, who is said to have been daughter of Thomas Berrie. On 17 Oct. 1394 he is recorded as about to go into Ireland in the King's service, with Thomas de Percy, stewared of the King's housebhold. By his will of 1424, which in now missing, he left Hide Hall to his son and heir Thomas, subject to the dower of his wife Joan.
- Children by first wife:
- 15. i. THOMAS.15
- ii. MARGERY or MARGARET.
- iii. ELIZABETH.
- ' 16. iv. JEFFREY.
- v. WILLIAM, a priest, d. s.p.
- vi. SIR RALPH, Knight, b. at Sawbridgeworth, co Herts; d. s.p. 25 Oct. 1478; m. (1) MARGERY ___; m. (2) PHILIPPA MALPAS, who was living 28 Jan. 1450/1, when her husband bought the manor of Aspenden Hall, co herts, dau. of Philip, Lord Mayor of London in 1448; m. (3) ELIZABETH BARLEY, dau. of William or Henry of Aspenden, co. Herts. Elizabeth (Barley) Jocelyn m. (2) Sir Robert Clifford of Brakenborought, Knight, third s. of Lord Clifford, and d. between 1 May 1525 and 20 July 1526. The church at Long Melford, co. Suffolk, contains a fine, old, stained-glass window representing Sir Robert Clifford, his wife Elizabeth, and her first husband, Sir Ralph Jocelyn. Sir Ralph is first of record in 1433, as of Aspenden, being mentioned as one able to spend L10, perhaps in anticipation of a royal load. He was a member of the Company of Drapers of London, was elected alderman from Cornhill Ward 29 Nov. 1456, was master of the Company of Drapers in 1457-8, sheriff in 1458-9, auditor in 1464, lord mayor in 1464-5, and was created a Knight of the Bath by Edward IV at the coronation of his queen, Elizabeth Woodville, 24 May 1465. He was a member of Parliament for London in 1467, and was again elected lord mayor in 1476. In his mayoralty Sir Ralph had the wall of London repaired between Aldgate and Aldersgate and the Fleet Ditch cleaned. He also corrected the abuses of the bakers
- Pg. 240
- ..... He was bur. in St. Swithin's Church, London, of which he was a benefactor, in "a fair tomb," which was destroyed in the Great Fire in 1666. ....
- 15. THOMAS15 JOSCELYN (Jeffrey14), of Hide Hall in Sawbridgeworth, co. Herts, died before 1478. He married about 1426, ALICE DUKE, daughter of Lewis of Dukes, co. Essex, by his wife Anne, daughter and heiress of John Cotton, Esq.
- ' 16. JEFFREY15 JOSSELYN (Jeffrey14) died 2 Jan. 1470/1. He married first KATHERINE ___ ; and secondly JOAN ___ . A memorial brass in the church at Sawbridgeworth, co. Herts, where they are buried, is inscribed: "Hic iacent Galfredus Ioslyn & Katherine, ac Joanna vxor eius, qui obiit ii January M cccc lxx."
- ' Child by first wife:
- 18. i. JOHN.16
- 'Katherine le Braye
- ' F, b. circa 1400
- ' Katherine le Braye was born circa 1400. She married Geoffrey Josselyn, son of Ralph Josselyn and Margaret de Patmer, circa 1424.
- 'Family Geoffrey Josselyn b. c 1380, d. 2 Jan 1471
- ◦Sir Ralph Josselin+1 b. c 1426, d. 25 Oct 1478
- ◦John Josselyn+ b. c 1429, d. Aug 1524
- 1.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, SLC Archives.
- 'Galfridus (Geoffrey) Jocelin
- Birth Abt 1423
- Gender Male
- Died 20 Jan 1470 , Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, England
- Father Galfridus (Geoffrey) Jocelin, b. 1390, d. 1424
- Mother Catherina Le Bray
- 'Family 1 Katherine, b. Abt 1427
- 1. John Josselyn, b. 1449, of Sheering, Essex, England , d. Aug 1524, , , Essex, England.
- Family 2 Joan
Catherine Josselyn (le Braye)'s Timeline
Sheering, Essex, UK
Of Sheering, Essex, England
Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire, England