Charles Shreeve Peterson (1818 - 1889) MP

‹ Back to Peterson surname

Is your surname Peterson?

Research the Peterson family

Charles Shreeve Peterson's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!


Birthplace: Mount Holly, Burlington, New Jersey, USA
Death: Died in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona, USA
Occupation: Farmer
Managed by: Traci Heiner
Last Updated:

About Charles Shreeve Peterson

Charles Shreeve Peterson was the son of Andrew Peterson and Martha Murdock. He married Ann Bunting Dennis, Mary Ann Patten, Ann Patten, Margaret Busby Crispen, Mary Thompson, and Martha Thompson.

Charles Shreeve Peterson's home was located at 4035 W. 4100 N. Peterson. He helped carve the first road through Weber Canyon, thus providing access for settlers. The community of Peterson was originally named Weber City and changed to Peterson in 1872 in honor of it's first settler. Morgan Historical Society Website:

He was also the first Probate Judge for the county in 1862.

Tullidge's histories, (volume II) containing the history of all the Edward William Tullidge Peterson:

"This hamlet lies about a half-mile south of the Weber, on a spur of the foothills. I t is watered by a small stream which has its source in the mountains above the town. The name it now bears was given in honor of its pioneer settler, Charles S. Peterson. Originally it was called Weber city. The family of Mr. Peterson must have been there as early as 1855, as his daughter, now the wife of David W. Tribe was born there in February of that year. The efforts of the colony to raise food in 1856 were neutralized by vast swarms of grasshoppers. This so reduced their provisions that the family were without bread for three months, and some of the time subsisted by digging wild roots.

"Mr. Peterson appears to have been well adapted to pioneering, in those primitive times when the necessaries of life had to be supplied at the enormous cost of freighting goods 1,000 miles in wagons, or be produced from the elements by home enterprise and industry. He greatly assisted the development of the country. He manufactured considerable leather, out of which Mr. Peter Neilson made covering for the feet of the settlers. He engaged in cattle and sheep raising. There was a carding machine at Ogden where his wool was made into rolls, from which the family manufactured cloth. Himself and sons helped out their neighbors by carrying on a blacksmith shop. At an early period a log school-house was built in which the young received such training as circumstances permitted. It was also the place where the magnates of Morgan county held their first court. The first post-office in the valley was at Weber City with Mr. Peterson as postmaster.

"The ground on which the village is located was entered under the town site law in 1874, by Probate Judge, Jesse Haven. It now contains about 90 souls with but little in its natural surroundings to promise much increase.

"Mr. Peterson appears to have been, from the first, the local leader in his settlement, but Thomas J. Thurston was bishop over the valley until 1863, when it was divided into two wards, and Bishop Peterson presided over Weber City, Mountain Green, Enterprise, North Morgan and Round Valley. Mr. Thurston remaining bishop of Milton, Littleton, South Morgan, Richville and Porterville."

The History of Charles Shreeve Peterson, written by Ireta Anderson, Oct. 28, 1936:

Charles Shreeve Peterson, third child and second son of Andrew Peterson and Martha Murdock, was born July 18, 1818, at Mt. Holly, Burlington County, New Jersey. His early life and experiences can be told in his own interesting manner.

"I was born of poor parentage. Father had to work for wages to support his family of ten children, and our opportunity for learning was very limited. I was compelled to work while very young to help make a living. At the age of ten years I hired out to one Joseph Stokes for two summers, to carry off brick and lay them to dry. This was called "off bearing". Two-thousand days of work, besides I had to turn over on the edge the two-thousand of the day before and to carry that many under a shed when dry. This was very hard work on my young growing back, and I think I never have entirely recovered from the strain.

"My father was a wood-chopper and I worked with him during the winters. Helping to carry wood together and cord it for measurement.

"At the age of fourteen, I apprenticed to Aaron Gaskill, a blacksmith, who with his family was very kind to me, but the work was no less hard and straining on my back, I had a great deal of showing to do, and a heavy sledge to swing, splitting bars of iron to forge our horseshoes, also forging axles for wagons, of which we made a large number. From the effects of all this hard and heavy work, which I had to perform while so young, I have suffered, more or less, ever since, in my chest and back. I went with Gaskill for about two years, when he went out of the business and took to farming.

"I then worked for a Joseph Horner, a Quaker of the Hexite profession. Here I worked altogether in making edged tools, which was not such hard work. In about a year, Mr. Horner went out of the business.

"Next I worked on a farm for Joseph K. Rogers. During the summer I received $10 per month, and in the winter I worked for my board and went to school three months. In this school I made the acquaintance of Miss Ann Dennis, daughter of Mary and Edward Dennis, who afterwards became my wife.

"While I was at Mr. Gaskill's the great excitement over the "Falling Stars" took place. Mr. Gaskill and family were members of the Methodist Church and the church was within one-hundred and fifty yards of his house. This was in the town of Pemberton, Burlington County, New Jersey. About midnight the stars apparently began to fall thick and fast like flakes of snow through they resembled flakes of fire. Sometimes they would be like balls of fire and would strike the ground and burst into pieces. The flakes, when near the ground, would disappear like so much fire going out. Soon the church bells began to ring and the people came running together, the Methodists and Baptists to theirs, for these two sects constituted the professing part of the people. They exclaimed, "The judgment days have come, and the earth is about to be burned up." They carried on such a shouting and howling that they could be hear all over town. Mr. Gaskill came to my door and asked, "Are you not coming to church to pray? The end has come!" I replied, "No, it is too late to pray now if the end has come. I will stay here and take it as easy as I can." After pulling my head out of the window, to satisfy my curiosity and listening to the howlings of the Methodists, I went back to bed, went to sleep and awoke in the morning and found the people all there getting breakfast as usual, and the end not come."

"I have since learned that at this very time and night, the Latter-Day Saints were being butchered and driven from their homes and land, which they had made and purchased from the government in the state of Missouri.

"After finishing my three months schooling, I went to work for Joseph Wells, in Rancocas, Burlington County, New Jersey. Here I received $12 per month for one year. At the end of the year I hired to Mr. Wells for another year and in the spring of that year I married Ann Dennis (1837). We lived in a house on Mr. Well's farm and in May of the following year, my son, George Henry, was born. I stayed with Mr. Wells two years after that and about nineteen months after the birth of George Henry, Mary Ann was born on Christmas day in the same house near Shreeveville, three miles above Mt. Holly.

"My work was farm work in the summer, and in the winter, hauling fencing from the cedar swamp, and wood and coal for fuel, and fertilizer for the land. This occupied my time from 4:00 A.M. until after dark at night. I lived in a house on the farm, rent free, and cow feed the year round, and $13 per month. In January 1842, Andrew, another son, was born. In the fall of this same year, while hauling coal, I met a man who lived near Burlington, who told me of a strange people, whom he had just visited in Illinois. He had become converted to their faith. His name was Matthew Ivory. His rehearsal of the faith and principles of their church gave me peculiar feelings that I could not throw off my mind. I do not believe in any of the numerous sects, although my parents were members of the Methodist Church, and were, I believe, honest in their convictions, but there was a difference in the beliefs of the different sects in regard to the meaning of the writings in the Bible, that I had become almost an infidel, although I had witnessed some strange manifestations.

"As I had at two different times previous to talking with Mr. Ivory, while lying on my bed, reflected in the midnight hours, a light, brighter than noon-day sun, burst into my room, encircling a personage who looked me in the face, and passed out of the room, apparently down the stairs, and left the room as dark as dungeon, for so it was before the light entered, as there was a heavy thunderstorm in the progress at the time.

"The rehearsal of the faith of this strange people and the explanation of scriptural passage by Mr. Ivory brought such a flood of light to my mind that I was led to marvel and wonder if this was not the light. By the light and personage in my room, I had strange, though pleasing and happy feelings, and they haunted me day and night, and I could not get rid of them. They brought such a flood of light to my mind - - passages of scripture came to me, one after another, confirming the doctrines of theses strange people, as related by Mr. Ivory.

"In a short time I passed Mr. Ivory's again, and he came out from the field and commenced talking again, and said he had some pamphlets he wished me to read. I told him I would be pleased to read them. He said he would have them in the field when I returned with my load of coal. They were locked in his chest and dared not let his wife see them or know where they were. She was too bitter against those people and their doctrines, that she would have burned the pamphlets, had she found them. When I returned, Mr. Ivory had the pamphlets ready for me. They were headed, "The Gospel Reflector" by Benjamin Winchester. I then learned that these strange and hated people were Mormons, or Latter-day Saints. I took the pamphlets home and in the evening read while my wife sewed. We were so interested that midnight was upon us before we were aware of it, or scarcely a word had passed between us, and I bear witness that the Holy Ghost bore witness unto our spirits at nearly every sentence I read, that the doctrines and principles contained therein were true, and from God, and from that day to the present I have never doubted the truth of the Latter-day work.

"It is at this writing, February 26, 1889, forty-seven years ago, in which time I have passed through many trying scenes and circumstances, and some that have been pleasant, all giving me and experience that I could not otherwise have received, and the end of the bitter part has not come yet.

"I think it was in December I told Mr. Ivory to send to my house the first Latter-day Saint elder he saw, and he said there would be an elder up from Philadelphia in a few days. Accordingly, in a few days he sent Elder Joseph H. Newton to my home, and the additional light he brought to us led me to believe that he was the second light and person represented to me in my room.

"I engaged the schoolhouse in Shreeveville for him to preach in. He preached two discourses and I told him we were ready and wanted to be baptized, and on the first Sunday in February, my wife and myself and Thomas Leary, a young man, were baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In a short time there was a branch of the church organized with forty members called the Shreeveville Branch. I was the only one of my father's family that had joined the church.

"Up to this time I did not have an enemy that I knew of, and was respected by everyone that knew me, as an honest, respectable man with a reasonable amount of intelligence. As soon as it was known, however, that I had been baptized, all turned against me, and I was ridiculed, called a fool and shunned by nearly everyone. My employer, Mr. Powell, called me into his sitting room to talk to me and to persuade me to give up Mormonism. He said it was a delusion. His brother-in-law, Mr. Gardener, assisted him in his efforts. Their families were also present. They told me I must give up my religion or else promise that I would never talk about it in the presence of their families; otherwise I would have to give up my position. I told them that to comply with their requests would be to act contrary to my honest convictions, and knowledge of the truth concerning those principles which I had received, and I could not do it.

"I knew it would be a great sacrifice to me to give up my employment and the comfortable homes which I appreciated so much, but to give up the principles which I had received and which I knew to be truth would be a far greater sacrifice, and of the two I would choose the lesser. I talked to them in plainness and quoted many passages of scripture to sustain me in my conviction of the truth I had embraced, and bore testimony of them of these truths.

"I then walked out to the stable, unharnessed the horses, cleaned them, and put everything in good order, returned to the house and told him what I had done, and that I was ready for a settlement. From his looks and actions my determination was a great surprise to him. He did not expect me to act so quickly, and had it not been for his brother-in-law, I think he would have recalled his decision. Gardener thought, however, I would yield rather than lose my position, but no position, wealth or earthly honors could move me from my convictions and purposes at that time as I knew too well the consequences.

"I made preparations to move my family to Nauvoo. I worked wherever I could get a chance and sold out what household goods I could not take along. About this time, Brigham Young, George A. Smith, William Smith, and others came to our branch, traveling in the interests of the church, and gathering means for the temple, then being built in Nauvoo. Brigham Young asked me what I had to give towards the temple; I told him nothing but the labors of my hands. I explained my circumstances to him, that I sold everything I had to get money enough to go to Nauvoo, and that if I did not go now, I should soon not have any, as every means possible was employed by those around me to get my money away from me. He said, "You are a wise man. Many have let their opportunities pass and now are not able to go, and perhaps never will be".

"The evening before we started, a meeting was called, in which we had a joyful time. I was called to give my farewell talk. While speaking, the spirit came upon me and I prophesied that inside of a year I would shoulder my gun and stand in defense of the Prophet and the Saints in Nauvoo. (This was fulfilled just as I predicted). After I had made the prediction I was afraid and wondered why I had been led to make it. On the first of August 1843 we bade farewell to father and mother, brothers and sisters, and to the Saints and took steamboat at Burlington to Philadelphia, from which place we were transported in canal boats to Johnstown.

"We delayed about two weeks through the breaking of the walls in one of the locks. At another time a lady traveling in our company fell into the canal was about to be pulled under the boat and drowned, when I jumped in and rescued her. She was a Catholic, and when we arrived in Johnstown, we were invited to her father's house. He was a Catholic priest. He was very grateful to me for having saved his daughter and wanted to do all he could for our comfort. I had the privilege of preaching the gospel to him. We passed on up to St. Louis. The apostate, John C. Bennett, was on board, and when he heard we were Mormons he delivered a tirade against Joseph Smith and the Saints. He said the prophet would take my wife as soon as I arrived. I told him if he had taken all that had gone before us, he would have enough without taking mine.

"We left for St. Louis, moved on up the river, and over the rapids, at the head of which lay Nauvoo. We landed at the upper stone house, a little above the main part of the city. I left my family and effects on the banks of the river, walked up town, inquired for Hyrum Smith, and was directed to his house. I introduced myself to him and told him I wanted to rent a house, and also to get some work, as I had no money to pay house rent, or get provisions for my family. He assisted me in every way possible, and after a while we were located in a small room and had five cents with which to start housekeeping. I found work at William Law's land, braiding hemp at one cent per pound. By hard work I could braid from seventy-five to one hundred pounds per day. Every tenth day I worked in the quarry getting out rock for the temple. I also worked at other jobs, such as splitting oak rails, pulling corn from the stock and etc.

"I finally went to work in the lead mines at Calena, one hundred miles from Nauvoo. This work continued into the spring of 1844, when I returned to Nauvoo. I worked for my passage both ways by helping to gather wood for the steamboat. Soon after my arriving home, trouble commenced. The apostates, Hibees and Fosters were stirring up trouble which resulted in the destruction of the printing press at Nauvoo.

"Shortly after this, the prediction which I made before leaving Shreeveville was fulfilled, for we were called out to defend the Mayor of Nauvoo (the Prophet Joseph Smith), the city council and all the citizens, for all were threatened with death and destruction. We were called out under the name of the Nauvoo Legion, which was organized under the state law, and we were under arms until the martyrdom of the prophet. With this incident we are familiar from history, but I want to say that the people mourned as I have never seen any people mourn, either before or since. All was silent as death and remained so until Brigham Young and others of the twelve, who were absent at the time of the martyrdom, returned, and found Sidney Rigdon putting in his claim to lead the church, but when Brigham Young stood up and commenced to talk, the spirit of Joseph was visible upon him and the voice of the good shepherd was known to all who heard him. Thus, joy and peace returned to the hearts of the saints, and all doubt as to the authority and leadership was removed. The work on the temple was rushed to completion and we had peace for a short time.

"On September 12, 1844, my wife died and left me with four small children. This was a heavy sacrifice to me. She was a faithful wife and mother, and I felt her loss very keenly. Our youngest child was one year and five months old, lacking one day, when he died, and only three months and twenty three days old when his mother died, and our oldest was only six years, three months and twenty-three days old. It left a great amount of labor and care and responsibility upon me, in addition to my daily or nightly labor, as the fishing had to be done at night. Had it not been for my faith and knowledge of the gospel, I would have taken the children to their grandmother, but after careful reflection and seeking council from Brigham Young, I was advised to keep my children with me and go hunt for another wife. This I had not though of."

This is as far as he proceeded with the account of this life. In the year 1846, he married Mary Ann Patten, daughter of William G. Patten and Elizabeth Harriet Cooper. This sacred ordinance was performed in the Nauvoo T emple. From this union three children were born, on the same day he had his former wife, Ann B. Dennis, sealed to him.

He and his family passed through the mobbings and drivings heaped upon the Saints, and, after they were driving from their beautiful city, Nauvoo, began their dreary march across the plains, to a place they knew not. In obedience to a call made by President Brigham Young, he gave his team and wagon to assist the first company of Saints on their journey, and he remained behind to help make wagons to carry the rest of the Saints to a place of refuge.

In 1849, he had Ann Patten, daughter of William Cornwell Patten and Juliana Bench sealed to him, by President Brigham Young, thirteen children blessed this union.

He and his wife Mary Ann and children, joined the saints in the Great Salt Lake Valley in the fall of 1849, but his wife, Ann Patten, remained with her father's family, coming with them in 1850 to join her husband. On 10 January, 1852, he settled at Mountainvale (Alpine) in Utah County. Here a branch of the church was organized, with Elder Peterson as the president.

In 1854 or 1855, he with his family, moved to Weber Valley; they were the first white settlers in the valley, and endured all the hardships incident to pioneering a new country, so far from civilization. He and the little colony succeeded in establishing a town in the Northwest part of the valley, which was known as Weber City, but the name was later changed to Peterson in honor of the pioneer settler.

Sunday, October 12, 1860, he was set apart as presiding elder over the settlement in the northern part of the valley. On December 8, 1861, he was chosen and set apart as Bishop. For many years his ward comprised the settlements in the Mountain Green, Enterprise, Milton, and Peterson areas.

The following is from "Tullidge's History of Utah": "Mr. Peterson appears to have been well adapted to pioneering in those primitive times, when the necessaries of life had to be supplied at the enormous cost of freighting goods a thousand miles in wagons, or be produced from the elements by home enterprises or industry. He greatly assisted the development of the country. He manufactured considerable leather, out of which Mr. Peter Nielson made coverings for the feet of the settlers. He also engaged in farming and in cattle and sheep raising. There was a carding machine at Ogden, where his wool was made into rolls from which his family manufactured cloth. Himself and sons helped their neighbors by carrying on a blacksmith shop. At an early period a log school-house was built in which the youth received such training as circumstances permitted. It was also the place where the magnates of Morgan County held their first court. The first post office in the valley was at Weber City, with Mr. Peterson as postmaster."

The efforts of the colony to raise food in 1856 was neutralized by vast swarms of grasshoppers. This so reduced their provisions that the family were without bread for three months, and some of the time subsisted by digging wild roots. Mr. Peterson appeared to have been from the first local leader in the locality. By Act of the Territorial Legislature, approved January 17, 1862, Morgan County was organized out of a part of Davis County, by the Territorial Legislature, proceeded to organize the county court, on February 13, 1862. After being qualified, the court met at the office of the probate judge in Weber City, and February 17, 1862 at 9:00 A.M. for the purposes of completing the organization of the country. This Weber City, now Peterson, became the county seat. Later developments brought a change.

In March 18, 1865, his term as probate judge expired. He was the people's representative in the annual sessions of the Territorial Legislature of 1864-1865 and 1865-1866. At the December term of the court, 1868, having been elected to the office of selectman, he succeeded John Robinson.

In the fall and winter of 1869-1870, he made a visit to the native state, New Jersey, when he was for the last time, in mortality, beheld the face of his dear mother and those of his brothers and sisters who he had not seen for so many years.

In the spring of 1870 he married Margaret Crispin. Two children resulted from the marriage. January 18, 1872 he married Mary Thompson, who bore him then children.

At the September term of the county court for 1874, he again became a member of the court, succeeding Joseph R. Porter. After serving the people as bishop for about eighteen years, he was honorably released in the summer of 1878, and the fall of the same year he took his family and moved to the northern part of Box Elder County, Utah, now known as Fielding, thinking he could get his boys located on farms for themselves, but they were not satisfied with the country, so he returned to the old farm in the fall of 1880. In the meantime, two of his sons, Charles and Hyrum, had gone to Mesa, Arizona. In August, 1883, he, with his wives and all his unmarried children, again left the old home and moved to Mesa, Arizona.

In 1884, he, in company with Apostle Brigham Young, President A.F. McDonald and a number of others, went down into Mexico, conferred with the Mexican government and negotiated for some land for the Mormon settlers in Mexico, and also visited the Yaqui Indians. They held a conference with their leading men and presented them with a few copies of the Book of Mormon. They were gone about two months.

After this he labored in the Indian Mission, near Mesa, Arizona, with Elders Henry C. Rogers and Charles H. Allen, until the fall of 1885, when he moved to Corralitos, in the state of Chihuahua, Mexico. Here he resided for about two years, when he returned to Mesa, Arizona, this was his home until his death, which occurred at ten minutes to one o'clock on the 26th day of September, 1889. He was true to the truth and faithful to the last.

When he felt that his time and had come, he called those of his children around him that were living in that vicinity, blessed them and bore his testimony to them. He sent his love and blessings to those who were not present, and admonished all of his family to be faithful in the gospel and to use the talents with which the Lord had blessed them for the good of their fellow men and for the building of the kingdom. Thus passed to his reward one of God's noblemen.

The above account of the life of Charles Shreeve Peterson was found in the trunk belonging to his daughter, Mary Ann Peterson Stevens, after her death. One of his sons wrote the latter part of his life story, but it is not known which son it was.

The following accounts of incidents in the lives of Charles Shreeve Peterson and Roswell Stevens, are taken from the History of Morgan County, compiled and written by Mrs. Mary Chadwick:

One day while getting timber from the mountain tops, in the vicinity of Centerville, Davis County, Thomas Jefferson Thurston, went over far enough to see the beautiful Weber Valley situated on the river by that name. It was early summer and that little well-watered and well-wooded valley was in strong contrast with the hot, dry, and almost barren Salt Lake Valley, and it reminded him of his old home in Ohio. He felt he must go over and explore it. He talked of it until he got two of his friends to go with him.

They went over the mountains into the valley and camped there three days. It looked like a paradise to them. T here was however, one serious obstacle, the valley was surrounded by high and rugged mountains, and the narrow canyon through which the Weber River flowed, seemed the only opening through which the entrance might be made. But no difficulty seemed insurmountable to Mr. Thurston, and finally one man, Charles Sreeve Peterson.

With his two sons and his son-in-law, Roswell Stevens, said they would go. So in the winter of 1855, they went to the canyon and camped, working constantly until they could get through into the valley with their wagons.

It was truly a great undertaking with their primitive ways of road making. Their tools consisted of picks, shovels, and crowbars, with small plows. In some of the narrow places they had to go up on the side of the mountains and loosen large rocks and boulders and roll them down into the river below to make a foundation on which to build a road. They finally got through what Mr. Peterson and Mr. Stevens settled at a place now called "Peterson".

Of the first company of pioneers who arrived in Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847, at least two were early residents of Morgan County. In the year 1855, Charles Shreeve Peterson, with his family and son-in-law, Mr. Roswell Stevens, settled in the northwestern part of the valley. A daughter of Mr. Stevens, the late Mrs. Daniel Heiner, was born there in December of 1855, and she was the first child born in Morgan County.

The little colony succeeded in establishing a town which was known as Weber City; the name was afterward changed to Peterson, in honor of the original settler. Mr. Peterson's home was where Albert Whitear's residence now is (1930).

A tannery was built there by Phillip Pugely of Salt Lake and operated by Mr. Peterson. The dye used in this vat was made from pine tree bark. It was used in the manufacture of leather from which Mr. Peter Nielson made shoes for the early settlers. Mr. Peterson, with his son, also carried on a blacksmith shop.

Mr. Joshua Williams started a sawmill in Peterson at a very early date and Roswell Stevens also had a sawmill in that vicinity. In 1861, the first farming was done in Enterprise. Roswell Stevens had made a claim there and in 1862 built the first house there.

This completes the incidents in the lives of Roswell Stevens and Charles Shreeve Peterson as recorded in the History of Morgan County.

Reference to this is found in the Salt Lake Genealogy Library under (Utah 31 – Vol. 23 – pages 87-104)



Andrew Peterson (1793 - 1860)


Martha A Peterson (1794 - 1878)



Margaret Busby Crispin Jenkins (1844 - 1891)


Mary Thompson Peterson (1849 - 1939)


Ann Bunting Dennis Peterson (1818 - 1844)


Ann Patten Peterson (1831 - 1909)



George Henry Peterson (1838 - 1904)


Mary Ann Peterson Stevens (1839 - 1924)


Andrew Peterson (1840 - 1910)


Edward Peterson (1843 - 1845)


Nancy Ann Peterson Hales (1852 - 1926)


Charles Peterson (1854 - 1938)


Sarah Ann Peterson Tribe (1856 - 1937)


Hyrum Smith Peterson (1860 - 1913)


Julia Anna Peterson Richards (1862 - 1938)

Herber Kimball Peterson (1866 - 1930)

Fannie Busby Peterson Allen (1871 - 1929)


Mary Elizabeth Peterson Schule (1873 - 1926)


Harriet Peterson Sabin (1874 - 1962)

Martha Ann Peterson Stow (1875 - 1934)

Rose Jane Peterson Salladay (1876 - 1936)


William Henry Peterson (1880 - 1967)


Laura May Peterson Johnson (1886 - 1981)


Sreeve Peterson (1888 - 1976)

Created by: Anjanette S. Lofgren

Record added: Mar 16, 2006

Find A Grave Memorial# 13635937


Wikipedia Biographical Summary:

"...Charles Sreeve Peterson (July 28, 1818 – September 26, 1889) was an early Mormon leader who was the first settler of Utah's Morgan Valley, a member of the Utah Territorial Legislature, and one of the first settlers in the Mormon colonies in Mexico..."

"...Peterson was born to a poor family in Mount Holly, New Jersey. One of ten children, he went to work at age 10 to help support the family, hauling brick at a kiln during the summers and chopping wood with his father in the winters. At age 14, he apprenticed as a blacksmith..."

"...While at school, he met his future wife, Ann Dennis...Peterson and his wife moved to Sreeveville, New Jersey, where he worked on a farm near town..."

"...On September 12, 1844, Ann died at age 26, leaving him with 4 small children, six years and under..."

"...On March 22, 1845, Charles married Mary Ann Patten, a 23-year-old from rural Pennsylvania. They eventually had three children together. In 1849, he began practicing plural marriage when he married Mary's younger half-sister, Ann, in Iowa. They eventually had 11 children together..."

" 1849 Charles and his family crossed the plains. In 1852 they settled in Alpine, Utah, where he served as that settlement's first leader..."

"...In 1861, Charles became the Bishop over the settlement. The Utah Territorial Legislature appointed him probate judge. He also served as the postmaster and operated a tannery and a blacksmith shop in the town..."

"...In the Spring of 1870, he married another wife, Margaret Crispin, who bore him two children. Two years later, he married Mary Thompson, who bore him 10 children..."

"...Charles died in 1889 at the age of 71..."

SOURCE: Wikipedia contributors, 'Charles Sreeve Peterson', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 2 November 2010, 00:54 UTC, <> [accessed 18 February 2011]

view all 28

Charles Shreeve Peterson's Timeline

July 28, 1818
Mount Holly, Burlington, New Jersey, USA
Age 18
Mt Holly, Brllng Co, New Jersey, USA
May 20, 1838
Age 19
Rancocas, Burlington, NJ, United States
December 25, 1839
Age 21
Rancocas, Burlington, New Jersey, United States
February 6, 1842
Age 23
Age 25
Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, USA
January 7, 1846
Age 27
January 24, 1846
Age 27
January 21, 1849
Age 30
Kainsville (Big, Pttrst, Iowa, USA
February 17, 1850
Age 31
Origan, Andrew, Missouri, USA