Charles Lennox Stretch (1797 - 1882)

‹ Back to Stretch surname

Is your surname Stretch?

Research the Stretch family

Charles Lennox Stretch's Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Birthplace: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Death: Died in Somerset East, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
Managed by: Garry Marc Howard-Browne
Last Updated:

About Charles Lennox Stretch

Colonel Charles Lennox Stretch.

Graaff-Reinet was founderd on the 19th July, 1786 on two farms on the Sundays River bought from Dirk Coetzee. It became the site for the town, selected because of its abundant water supply. In 1795 there was a Declaration of Independence of the Republic of Graaf-Reinet. However, this situation only lasted a few months and came to an end with the first proclamation of the Cape Colony by Britain.

In 1819 Charles Lennox Stretch went to the Graaff-Reinet Colony where he bought two more farms. He sub-divided the land into plots, many of which were transferred to coloured labourers or emancipated slaves. (The Emancipation of Slaves took place on the 1st December 1834).

On the 17th November 1830 Charles Lennox Stretch prepared a diagram of an unusual, windowless building. This building (a powder store) was built on top of Magazine Hill in 1831. In those days gunpowder was essential, but unstable so buildings housing it had to built at a safe distance from the town.

The transfer of land on the banks Tyumie River, near Alice in the District of Victoria East, from Charles Lennox Stretch to James Attwell senior on 23 June 1857. measuring 966 morgen, 416 square roods, is recorded in the Cory Library as MS 14828

----------

Eric Benjamin Lawton writes:

He served in the Cape Regiment and took part in the Battle of Grahamstown. He was appointd Government Land Surveyor in 1823. In 1829 he assisted Andrew Geddes Bain in the construction of the Oudeberg Pass and in 1832 with the van Ryneveld Pass.

On 28 March 1855 the property of a Mr C L Stretch, in Church Street, was advertised for sale in the Graaff-Reinet Herald.

Notes from Sue Mackay 6.6.2005:

Grahamstown Journal

Wednesday 28th March 1855

"FOR PRIVATE SALE:

The property of C.L. STRETCH Esq., situate in Church Street, Graaff-Reinet, formerly the property of the late Widow J.H. FAUCHE. The dwelling house consists of 13 spacious apartments. The side buildings, two small dwelling houses each containing three rooms and kitchen. As also stable and cellar. The erf is planted with vines and choice fruit trees, and is abundantly supplied with water. If not privately sold it will be disposed of by auction, at a day hereafter to be notified. Terms

favourable. Apply to S.J. Meintjes, Agent. Graaff-Reinet 27th March 1855."

Notes taken from:

"The Journal of Charles Lennox Stretch"

(Edited by Basil A. Le Cordeur - Rhodes University; the Graham's Town Series).

Charles Lennox Stretch was born in Bristol 6 May 1797. Reading on in the life of Charles. "He attended schools in London and High Wycombe until his thirteenth year and in November 1811 he entered the Royal Military College at Woolwich." "After completing his training he was sent with the 38th South Staffordshire Regiment of Foot to

France where he arrived in August 1815, some two months after the Battle of Waterloo." Colonel Charles Lennox Stretch.

He was 85 when he died. He left no children (according to information from Rootsweb.). His death notice was signed by his wife Ann Hart.

His occupation was Government Surveyor.

Graaff Reinet was begun on the 19th July, 1786 on two farms on the Sundays River bought from Dirk Coetzee. It became the site for the town, selected because of its abundant water supply. In 1795 there was a Declaration of Independence of the Republic of Graaf-Reinet. However, this situation only lasted a few months and came to an end with the first proclamation of the Cape

Colony by Britain.

In 1819 Charles Lennox Stretch went to the Graaff Reinet Colony where he bought two more farms. He he sub-divided the land into plots, many of which were transferred to coloured labourers or emancipated slaves. (The Emancipation of Slaves took place on the 1st December 1834).

On the 17th November 1830 Charles Lennox Stretch prepared a diagram of an unusual, windowless building. This building (a powder store) was built on top of Magazine Hill in 1831. In those days gunpowder was essential, but unstable so buildings housing it had to built at a safe distance from the town.

DEATH NOTICE:

MOOC 6/9/169 R4710

Name of Deceased: Charles Lennox STRETCH

Place of Birth: Bristol, England

Names of Parents: Father: James St. Ledger STRETCH

Mother: Catherine DEVENISH

Age of Deceased: 83 years

Condition in Life: Surveyor

Married

Name of Surviving Spouse: Anne HART

Date of Death: 13 October 1882

Place of Death: Somerset East

Names of Children and whether Major or Minor:

No children

Whether deceased has left any property, and of what kind: Movable & Immovable

Signed: A. Stretch, Surviving Spouse

view all

Charles Lennox Stretch's Timeline

1797
May 6, 1797
Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
1820
April 18, 1820
Age 22
Uitenhage, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa
1822
March 10, 1822
Age 24
1882
October 13, 1882
Age 85
Somerset East, Cape of Good Hope, South Africa