About Charlotte Jane Turner (Warrington)
Charlotte Warrington Turner had the distinction of being South Dakota's only Real Daughter of the American Revolution. Charlotte was the only child and daughter of Nancy Littell Warrington (1791 – 1874) and William E. Warrington (1751 – 1850). Charlotte was born in Delaware County, Ohio and was raised on a farm near Cincinnati. William Warrington was married four times and Charlotte was the only child of his last wife.
Charlotte married Albert Turner on October 26, 1854 at her home in Ohio. She was the mother of two daughters and in later years adopted a son, Edward Turner. One daughter, Mrs. William La Mont, of Rapid City, SD, died January, 1917, leaving two children (actually died February 1917 and is buried in Mountain View Cemetery Rapid City, SD). The other daughter, Miss Lettie Turner, lived in Newark, Ohio.
Charlotte came as a pioneer to South Dakota in November 1885 accompanied by her daughter and settled on the Indian Reservation at Medicine Creek, half way between Pierre and Rapid City. For two years she had charge of the meal station there for the North Western Stage Company. She became an expert horsewoman and could hunt and shoot with the best of marksmen, but her life at this time was one of privation and loneliness, and often in danger from prowling Indians.
Charlotte moved to Rapid City in November, 1887 where she maintained and supervised a small milk farm and was known as the "Black Hills Dairy Woman" until failing health compelled her to retire. She was a member of the Presbyterian Church and a member of the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. In October, 1917, Charlotte revisited her old home and pay visit to her daughter in Ohio for a few weeks. Upon her return to Rapid City, ill health set in and she was placed in the hospital at Yankton, where she died two weeks later.