About Christopher Davenport
- 'A history and genealogy of the Davenport family, in England and America, from A. D. 1086 to 1850 .. (1851)
- FOURTEENTH GENERATION.
- Issue of Richard Davenport, ( No. 58.)
- (60.) I. Edward Davenport of Coventry, who married a daughter of John Harford, Alderman of Coventry. In 1534, he was chosen to the city office of Chamberlain, and in 1540 to that of Sheriff. In 1550, he was chosen Mayor of Coventry, and during the time of his Mayoralty overruled all this county.
- FIFTEENTH GENERATION.
- Issue of Edward Davenport, (No. 60.)
- (61.) I. Henry Davenport, of Coventry, who married, 1st, Winifred, daughter of Richard Barnabit. She was the mother of his issue. His second wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas ___ of Gloucestershire. He was chosen Sheriff of Coventry, in 1602, and seems to have succeeded his younger brother as Mayor, in 1613.
- (62.) II. Christopher Davenport, who married a daughter of William Hopkins, Alderman of Coventry. He was chosen Sheriff, in 1593; and Mayor, in 1602. [On Thursday, about 2 o'clock, March 24, 1603, deceased Queen Elizabeth, at Richmond, when Hon. Mayor Davenport proclaimed James I. King of England. Harl. MSS.]* Christopher Davenport
- founded what is now known as the Bablake School. This is one of the most celebrated of the free schools of Coventry, and for nearly two centuries and a half has furnished a thorough system of instruction to a large number of youth. Its funds are also used for the maintenance of a certain number of superannuated teachers.* It derives its name from a small sheet of water near which the school is located, called Bablake, from the circumstance of a babe having there been drowned. The master of this school is still appointed by the General Charity Trustees of Coventry. A portrait of Christopher Davenport is to be seen in St. Mary's Hall, which stands a little south of St. Michael's Church, with those of other benefactors of the city. In these rooms are also to be found many ancient paintings, figures, arms, &c. : also half-length portraits of Queen Elizabeth, James I., Charles I. : whole lengths of Charles II., James II., &c. : William and Mary (copies) in their coronation robes: originals of Anne, George I., George II., and Caroline, in their coronation robes, &c.
- SIXTEENTH GENERATION.
- Issue of Henry Davenport, (No. 61.)
- (63.) I. Barnabas Davenport of Coventry, who married Mary, daughter of Simon Glover, by whom he had issue, Christopher, Anne, and Elizabeth.
- (64.) II. Edward Davenport, who married Sarah, daughter of John White, Alderman of Coventry, by whom he had issue, Christopher, Winifred, Elizabeth, and Phillipa.
- ' (65.) III. Christopher Davenport, who married. Frances, daughter of John Higginson, by whom he had one daughter, Elizabeth.*
- (66.) IV. Henry Davenport.
- (67.) V. John Davenport, who married Elizabeth Wolley.
Christopher Davenport's Timeline
Coventry, Leics, England
October 1, 1590
Holy Trinity, Coventry, Warwickshire, England
January 16, 1653
Coventry, Warwick, England