Cicely's Top Matches
About Cicely Fulford
- ADAMS, alias BODRUGAN, Nicholas (by 1521-57/84), of the Middle Temple, London and Townstall, Dartmouth, Devon.
- b. by 1521, 1st s. of John Adams of Venn, Devon by Catherine, da. and h. of John Stebbing alias Bodrugan of Dartmouth. educ. M. Temple. m. (1) Cecily, da. of Sir John Fulford of Fulford, Devon by Dorothy, da. of John Bourchier, 1st Earl of Bath, 1s.; (2) by 21 Jan. 1547, Mary.2
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/adams-nicholas-1521-5784
- Dorothy BOURCHIER
- Born: ABT 1502, Bounton, Devon, England
- Notes: not sure about the parentage of Faith Fulford, who married John Davys (b. 1550 - d. 29 Dec 1605), a navigator and explorer, at Stoke Gabriel near Dartmouth on 29 Sep 1582. They had five children: Gilbert (b. 1583), Elizabeth (d. young), Arthur (b. 1586), John (b. 1587 - d. 1587), and Philip. During one of her husband’s long absences at sea, Faith took a lover by the name of Milborne, a counterfeiter. When Davys returned to England in Jun 1593, Milborne made false charges against him that led to his arrest. Davys was free by the following Mar. Unfortunately, details of what happened next are lacking. Since Davys was planning to remarry in 1604, however, Faith must have died at some point before that. Divorce would have been possible but unlikely, and usually did not permit remarriage.
Father: John BOURCHIER (1º E. Bath) Mother: Cecily DAUBENEY
- Married: Sir John FULFORD of Fulford (son of William Fulford and Joan Bonville)
- 1. Elizabeth FULFORD (m.1 Humphrey Arundell - m.2 Thomas Carey)
- 2. John FULFORD of Fulford
- 3. Cicely FULFORD (m. Nicholas Adams of Tunstall)
- 4. Faith FULFORD (m. John Davys)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BOURCHIER1.htm#Dorothy BOURCHIER2
- FULFORD, John (1524/25-80), of Fulford, Devon.
- b. 1524/25, 1st s. of Sir John Fulford of Fulford by Dorothy, da. of John Bourchier, 1st Earl of Bath. m. (1) by 1553, Anne, da. of Sir Thomas Denys of Holcombe Burnell and Bicton, 6s. 5da.; (2) 30 Jan. 1570, Eleanor, da. of Bernard Smith of Totnes, wid. of John Charles (d. 17 Aug. 1568), of Tavistock. suc. fa. 14 Nov. 1544. Kntd. ?2 Oct. 1553.1
- .... Fulford was joined in the House by his brother-in-law Nicholas Adams alias Bodrugan. ...
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/fulford-john-152425-80
- In 1545 in partnership with Nicholas Adams (d.1557/84), MP, of Combe, Dartmouth, one of the Commissioners for the suppression of chantries in Devon. and whose wife Cicely Fulford was 1st cousin of Sir John Chichester (d.1569) of Raleigh, Pilton,[nb 4] he purchased lands in south Devon worth £720, including the manor of Townstall, later the seat of Adams.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Rolle