About Clement Chaplin
Clement Chaplin (Chaplain), born about 1587; son of William Chaplin, of Semer, Co. Essex; was a chandler in Bury St. Edmunds, County, Suffolk; embarked in the "Elizabeth & Ann," from London, April, 1635, aged 48; freeman, Massachusetts, March 3, 1635-6; deputy, May, 1636. An original proprietor at Hartford, and his home-lot, in 1639-40, was on the east side of the main street, south of the Meeting House Yard, now Central Row. He did not settle here, and his allotment of land was declared forfeited, Jan. 10, 1639-40, and Mr. Hopkins, Mr. Wells, Mr. Talcott, and William Spencer were desired to deal with Mr. Chaplin about his lands. He had been treasurer of the colony in 1638, settled in Wethersfield; deputy from there, 1643—4. His wife was Sarah Hinds, daughter of a goldsmith in Bury St. Edmunds. He returned to England after 1646, and his will is in the Registry of Probate, London. There, he is called of Thetford, Co. Norfolk, clerk; gives to his wife, Sarah, "Houses and lands lying and being in Harford and Wethersfield, in New England;" mentions his brother, "Mr. William Chaplaine, of Bury St. Edmunds, and '"his kinsman, Mr. William Clarke, of Rocksbury, in New England;" proved 1656. His widow sold land in Hartford to Mr. Henry Wolcott.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), page 234. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books