About Hugh Mackay, of Bighouse
2. Col Hon Hugh Mackay of Bighouse (d. 12 Nov 1770), mar. (1) aft. 15 Jul 1728 Margaret Mackay, coheiress of Bighouse (d. 26 Mar 1769), and (2) 14 Apr 1770 Isabella Mackenzie, dau. of Alexander Mackenzie of Lentran, and had issue by his first marriage:
1a. Ensign Hugh Mackay (dvp. 1751)
2a. Colin Mackay (dvp. a child)
1a. Janet Mackay, mar. Colin Campbell of Glenure (d. 1752), and had issue
2a. Mary Mackay (d. 21 Sep 1808), mar. William Baillie of Rosehall, and had issue
3a. Robina Mackay (d. 10 Aug 1762)
4a. Marion Mackay (dsps. 12 Mar 1759), mar. 6 Jan 1758 as his first wife her half-cousin George [Mackay], 5th Lord Reay
THE BIGHOUSE BRANCH OF MACKAYS.
The honourable Colonel Hugh Mackay of Bighouse had, by his wife Elizabeth, a son
- Captain Hugh, who died uumarried;
and three daughters,
- 1st, Janet, who married Colin Campbell of Glenlire ;
- 2nd Mary, married to William Baillie of Rosshall ; and
- 3d, Marian, married to her cousin-german, George, fifth Lord Reay
By some family arrangements, the estate became the property of Louisa and her husband
Pg 569 .HISTORY THE HOUSE AND CLAN MACKAY,BY ROBERT MACKAY,
2. Hugh of Bighouse, a major in the Earl of Sutherland's Regiment 1759 ; married, first (contract 15 July 1728), Margaret Mackay, coheiress of Bighouse, and by her, who died at Bighouse 26 March 1769, had
- (1) Hugh, an ensign in the Earl of Sutherland's regiment, died in 1751,^2 unmarried.
- (2) Colin, died a child.
- (3) Janet, married to Colin Campbell of Glenure, murdered in1752, with issue.
- (4) Mary, married to William Bailie of Rosehall, with issuedied at Peterhead 21 September 1808.
- (5) Robina, died at Harrogate 10 August 1762, unmarried He married,
secondly, 14 April 1770, Isabella, daughter of Alexander Mackenzie of Lentran, died at Bath 12 November 1770, without issue by his second marriage.
Scottish Peerage pg. 1745-185