|Also Known As:||"-"|
|Birthplace:||Lewisham, London, Lee, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Bedford|
Son of Basil Wickings-Smith and Agnes Ingham Wickings-Smith
|Managed by:||Michael Dines Poole|
About Cyril Wickings-Smith
As a British citizen, Cyril lived in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, but decided to move back to England in1915 with his wife Phyllis and infant daughter Nancy, and brother Basil. Basil's wife Beatrice (Bea) was the sister of Cyril's wife - thus also being sister-in-laws but she did not sail on the Lusitania.
(Source: Phyllis 'Jane' Woods)
- Cyril Wickings-Smith is a survivor of the Lusitania sinking May 7th, 1915, as was his wife Phyllis and daughter Nancy. Cyril never spoke about the Lusitania sinking.
- His brother Basil Guildford Wickings-Smith was lost at sea at the time of the Lusitania sinking.
- Cyril had a 'bubble' car which he drove quite fast. The bubble car had a wide front opening door.
- Phyllis lived less than five years after the Lusitania sinking. She died on 19 January 1920.
- Cyril's second wife was named Dorothy. They lived in Bedford in a large detached house shared with family members, brother Claude and his wife Vera. (Claude and Vera had a son called Paul married to June, with two children Veronica and Jeremy.)
"According to the Imperial War Museum’s Pritchard letters collection and survivor Gertrude Adams, while the ship was sinking, Basil managed to go below decks to retrieve lifejackets without becoming trapped, as he gave his lifebelt to Gertrude. Phyllis attempted to get into lifeboat 11 with Nancy, but being held back, she called to Francis Luker to catch her baby. She tossed Nancy to Luker, who caught the little girl, and the boat rowed off. Cyril and Phyllis survived and were reunited with baby Nancy, being one of four infants to survive the disaster."
Cyril died on 3 April 1965, almost 50 years after the sinking.
Cyril Wickings-Smith's Timeline
April 16, 1888
Lewisham, London, Lee, United Kingdom
August 28, 1912
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Nan was born at 2384 Hamiota Street, Oak Bay, Victoria, British Columbia (Birth cert.).
April 3, 1965