About Day Hort MacDowall
Day Hort Macdowall, 25th of Garthland M, #455619, b. 6 March 1850, d. 28 October 1927
Day Hort Macdowall, 25th of Garthland was born on 6 March 1850. He was the son of Henry Macdowall, 23rd of Garthland and Isabella Fergus Dennistoun. He married Alice Maude Mary Blanchard, daughter of Charles Blanchard, on 12 August 1884.1 He died on 28 October 1927 at age 77.
- He was educated at Glenalmond College, Glenalmond, Perthshire, Scotland.
- He gained the rank of Captain between 1872 and 1879 in the service of the Renfrewshire Rifle Volunteers.1
- He emigrated to Canada arriving on 1879.
- He was member for the District of Lorne of North-West Council between 1883 and 1885.
- In 1885 he conferred with Louis Riel and voluntarily attached himself to General Middleton's field staff as a civilian in a military capacity in suppression of the rebellion, and was mentioned in despatches.
- He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) [Canada] between 1887 and 1896, for Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
- He was an Indian Commissioner at Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Children of Day Hort Macdowall, 25th of Garthland and Alice Maude Mary Blanchard
- Fergus Day Hort Macdowall b. 28 Aug 1886, d. 10 Jul 1887
- Eleanor Agnes Maude Macdowall b. 29 Dec 1887, d. 20 Nov 1963
- Jean Isabel Macdowall b. 9 Jun 1889, d. 14 Dec 1930
- Henry Charles Victor Macdowall, 26th of Garthland+2 b. 2 May 1891, d. 26 Mar 1947
- Anna Dennistoun Macdowall b. 4 Sep 1892, d. 1993
- Wilhelmina Margaret Macdowall b. 11 May 1895, d. 1975
- Carmen Blanchard Macdowall b. 27 Feb 1897, d. 1979
- [S32] Peter Beauclerk Dewar, editor, Burkes Landed Gentry of Great Britain - The Kingdon in Scotland, 19th ed. - volume 1 (Wilmington, Delaware, USA: Burke's Peerage and Gentry LLC, 2001), volume 1, page 884. Hereinafter cited as Burkes Landed Gentry, 19th ed.
- [S32] Peter Beauclerk Dewar, Burkes Landed Gentry, 19th ed.