John Moore, Sr.
|Birthplace:||Southwold, Suffolk, England|
|Death:||Died in Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut|
|Place of Burial:||Founders Monument at the Palisado Cemetery, Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut, United States|
Son of Thomas Moore, of Hampshire & Windsor and Elizabeth Moore
|Occupation:||Carpenter, housewright, wheelwright, millwright|
About John Moore, Sr.
NOT THE FATHER OF MARY ALLYN
Dorchester fenceviewer, 24 May 1634 and 16 January 1636/7 and selectman, 8 November 1637 (Dorch TR). He and Thomas Moore, likely his brother, served as witnesses to the noncuperative will of John Russell in Dorchester in Sept 1633. Frequent deputy from Windsor to Connecticut General Court from 1653 until 1677. By 1640 in Windsor, he had five parcels from town grants.
The records of the second church of Dorchester open with a list of children whose parents are members of the Windsor Church and have been brought back to Dorchester for baptism. The first two names are Elizabeth and Thomas Moore. Since in 1677, Windsor records credit John with three children born in Windsor, it would seem that Elizabeth and Thomas were born in Dorchester.
- Name: John MOORE
- Given Name: John
- Surname: Moore
- Sex: M
- Birth: 1614 in Windsor,Hartford Co.,Connecticut (Ben M. Angel notes: This is clearly incorrect. The only people to live in New England, much less Windsor, Connecticut, in 1614 were Native American.)
- Death: 14/18 Sep 1677 in Windsor,Hartford Co.,Connecticut
- Christening: Dorchester,Suffolk Co.,Masaachusetts (Ben M. Angel notes: This would presume that he was baptized no sooner than 1630.)
- Burial: 19 Sep 1677 Windsor,Hartford Co.,Connecticut
- Change Date: 1 Feb 2004
- Note: Name Prefix: Deacon
Father: Thomas MOORE b: 28 Jul 1584 in ,,England
Mother: Elizabeth YOUNG b: 1595 in Southwold,Suffolk Co.,England
Marriage 1 Martina EDWARDS b: Abt 1618 in ,,England
- Married: Bef 1633 in ,,England
- Note: _STATMARRIED
- 1. Hannah MOORE b: 1633 in Windsor,Hartford,Connecticut (Ben M. Angel notes: this is probably incorrect. An English trading post was founded in September of that year at Windsor, but families didn't arrive at the location for another two years after. It is possible that Hannah was born in Dorchester, Massachusetts Bay Colony, or back in England. But it is highly unlikely that this birth took place in Windsor.)
Marriage 2 Abigail PINNEY b: 1618 in Dorchester,Norfolk,England
- Married: 16 Jun 1637 in Windsor,Hartford Co.,Connecticut
- 2. Elizabeth MOORE b: 23 Jul 1638 in Windsor,Hartford Co.,Connecticut
- 3. Abigail MOORE b: 16 Jun 1639 in Windsor,Connecticut
- 4. Thomas MOORE b: 1640 in Windsor,Hartford,Connecticut
- 5. Mindwell MOORE b: 10 Jul 1643 in Windsor,Hartford Co.,Connecticut
- 6. John MOORE b: 5 Dec 1645 in Windsor,Hartford,Connecticut
- 7. Mary MOORE b: 1647 in Windsor,Hartford,Connecticut
From the Find A Grave page on Deacon John Moore:
Birth: 1603, England
Death: Sep. 18, 1677 - Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Born by 1603, based on estimated date of marriage.
- Came to Massachusetts Bay in 1630. First settled in Dorchester; moved to Winsor in 1638.
- Died in Windsor 18 Sep 1677.
- Married ____ ____ by about 1628 (assuming that she was the mother of all his children). (Ben M. Angel notes: This presumption, that John's first wife was the mother of all children, is probably incorrect. She was probably the mother of his first child only. It's uncertain whether she came to the New World.)
John Moore was probably brother of Thomas Moore of Dorchester & Windsor. They appear together as witnesses to the uncupative will of John Russell on 3 Sep 1633. Most of the parcels of land in Windsor granted to John Moore were adjacent to parcels ranted to Thomas Moore.
- 1. Hannah Moore Drake (1628 - ____)*
- 2. Thomas Moore (1637 - ____)*
- 3. Elizabeth Moore Loomis Case (1638 - 1728)*
- 4. Elizabeth Moore Case (1638 - 1728)*
- 5. Abigail Moore Bissell (1639 - ____)*
- 6. John Moore (1645 - ____)*
- 7. Mindwell Moore Bissell (1649 - ____)*
- wife Moore*
- Abigail Pinney Moore (1618 - ____)
Burial: Palisado Cemetery, Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA - Plot: Founders Monument
Created by: Linda Mac
- Record added: Feb 23, 2009
- Find A Grave Memorial# 34133044
Deacon Moore came to America (Dorchester, Massachusetts, 1630)on the sailing ship "Mary and John" at the age of 5 yrs with his father, Thomas Moore, and his mother, Abigail. The family moved to Windsor, Connecticut in 1639. Thomas Moore was one of the first Landholders at Windsor. He was ordained Deacon in 1651
- MOORE, John
- b. 1614 England
- d. 15 SEP 1677 Windsor, Hartford, CT.
- Marriage: 16 JUN 1639 Windsor, Hartford, CT.
- Spouse: Abigail,
- d. 1714 Windsor, Hartford, CT.
- MOORE, Elizabeth
- MOORE, Abigail
- MOORE, Thomas b. 1640 Windsor, Hartford, CT. d. 24 NOV 1682
- MOORE, Mindwell
- MOORE, John
- MOORE, Mary
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_13c.htm#32
Deac. John Moore's Timeline
May 2, 1613
Southwold, Suffolk, England
Of, Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut
Of Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut
Of Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut
December 29, 1624
<Windsor, Hartford, CT>
Windsor, Hartford, Connecticut
July 23, 1638
Windsor, Hartford Coounty, Connecticut, United States