Dov's Top Matches
About Dov Shilansky, 10th Speaker of the Kneset, דב שילנסקי
Dov Shilansky, 10th Speaker of the Kneset (from Wikipedia)
Dov Shilansky (Hebrew: דב שילנסקי, born 21 March 1924) is a former Israeli politician and Speaker of the Knesset 1988 - 1992.
Born in Siauliai, Lithuania, Shilanksy survived the Holocaust and joined the Irgun, operating in Rome and Germany. He made aliyah in 1948, arriving in Israel on the Altalena, and served as a combat officer in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. He continued to serve as a reservist, fighting in the Six-Day and Yom Kippur Wars. Between 1970 and 1974, he was an executive officer in "Haga" (Civil Defence) in Gush Dan, and until 1989 was an educational officer.
In October, 1952, Shilansky was arrested while attempting to bring a suitcase bomb into the Israeli Foreign Ministry in an apparent plot to assassinate Foreign Minister Moshe Sharett. Shilansky was accused of being a member of an unnamed underground organization opposed to Israeli-German reparations negotiations, and was sentenced to two years in prison.
He gained an LL.B from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and worked as an attorney as well as becoming a member of the Ethics Committee of the Israel Bar Association and the International Organization of Jewish Law Professionals.  Political career
In 1977 he was elected to the Knesset as a member of Likud, and was appointed the Knesset representative on the Committee for the Appointment of Judges. He was re-elected in 1981 and was made Deputy Minister in the Ministry in the Prime Minister's Office.
After retaining his seat again in 1984 and then in 1988, he was appointed Speaker of the Knesset. After the 1992 elections he served as Deputy Speaker. In 1993 he was a candidate for President, but was defeated by Ezer Weizman by 66 to 53. He lost his seat in the 1996 elections, but is still usually included in the ceremonial 120th slot in Likud's election lists.
- Knesset 9, 13.6.1977 - 20.7.1981
- Knesset 10, 20.7.1981 - 13.8.1984
- Knesset 11, 13.8.1984 - 21.11.1988
- Knesset 12, 21.11.1988 - 13.7.1992
- Knesset 13, 13.7.1992 - 17.6.1996
- Knesset 12, Speaker of the Knesset
- Knesset 13, Deputy Speaker of the Knesset
- Member, Ethics Committee of the Israel Bar Association
- Member, International Organization of Jewish Law Professionals
- From 1977 through 1990, Knesset representative in the Committee for the Appointment of Judges
- Books on political imprisonment and on the Holocaust
- Regular column in the ”Eretz Yisrael” monthly magazine
Dov Shilansky, 10th Speaker of the Kneset, דב שילנסקי's Timeline
March 21, 1924
December 9, 2010
Tel Aviv, Israel
December 10, 2010
Tel Aviv, Israel