About Dr. Alexander Hamilton Burritt
Dr. Alexander Hamilton Burritt. He was born at Troy, Rensselaer County, New York, on April 17, 1805. He studied medicine with his father prior to attending college. He was an 1827 graduate of the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and practiced medicine for 11 years as an allopathic practitioner. In 1832, he left Troy, New York locating first in Carrollton, Illinois and the following year in Jerseyville, Illinois being among the first settlers of that town. He practiced medicine here until 1836, when he moved to an 80-acre (320,000 m2) farm in Greene County, Illinois. It was here that he helped his mother and stepfather, John Adams and Mehitable/Mabel Stratton Burritt-Adams, relocate and settle into their new life in Jacksonville, Illinois. He also donated land and a log building for the Academy.
In 1838, Dr. Alexander Hamilton Burritt left Illinois and relocated to New York City and became a student of his celebrated and distinguished cousin, Dr. John Franklin Gray (1804–1882) for two years of study of the principles and practice of homeopathy.
After completing his studies in 1840, he moved to Pennsylvania and was the pioneer practitioner in Crawford County, where he devoted himself to the study of homeopathy. He also practiced at Conneautville, Ohio and then went to Burton, Ohio in 1840, being the pioneer homeopathic Physician in northern Ohio. He was a founder of the Western Homeopathic College in Cleveland, Ohio and received an appointment from the trustees of the College to the chair of the Obstetrics Department. He resigned his professorship in 1854 due to his health and removed to Canandaigua, New York and from there to New Orleans, Louisiana where he became one of the leading physicians of the South. It was said that he was a man of great ability as a practitioner and physician as well as a writer. He died in New Orleans of paralysis on October 9, 1877.