Matching family tree profiles for Dr. D. V. Cole
About David Vinsin Cole
Centennial history of Polk County, Iowa http://is.gd/ij1m1b
Among the business men of Fort Des Moines between 1846, and 1850, were the following: W. W. Clapp, Provision Grocer near the junction of the Des Moines and 'Coon rivers; L. D. Winchester & Co., Grocery and Dry. goods, near foot of Second street; A. J. Davis, Drygoods, Second and Market; James Campbell, Grocery and Drygoods, corner Second and Vine; Joseph Crews, Liquor Saloon, Second and Market; R. W. Sypher, Drygoods and Grocery, Second street; Lyon & Allen, Drygoods, Second street; C. Good, Drugs, Second and Elm; Benjamin Coffeen, Drygoods, Second and Market; Wm. Kraas, Clothing, Second street; B. T. Hoxie, Drygoods, Second and Market.
Cole and "Winchester commenced business in 1847, on Second street; and later in the season James Sherman was included among the business men of that locality. Chaplin & Thompson and Campbell & McMullen were also on Second street.
. . .
The first frame house was built by Addison Michael in 1847, and the first brick by L. D. Winchester. This latter gentleman, who afterward removed to California, was a relative by marriage of Dr. D. V. Cole, now of this place, and for thirty years closely identified with our progress. To him we have been largely indebted for many of these reminiscences of early times. His cousin, I. J. Cole, who also went to California, was engaged in business on Second street in 1848.
From a biographical sketch on Herman M. "Hub" Hoxie:
"By the winter of 1845-46 Hub’s parents had sold their Fairfield property and moved to Fort Des Moines. There his father first ran a grocery and dry goods business and soon afterwards kept a tavern or hotel. In 1848 he built a much-admired lean-to house of logs and clapboard, but the next year the family sold the house to relocate near Kilbourne in Van Buren County, where Hub’s father died by November 1850.
Kilbourne was a village on the Des Moines River about fifteen miles south of Fairfield, and Hub may have stayed in Fairfield to work for druggist David Vincent Cole, as on April 21, 1848 H. M. Hoxie was authorized to receive all debts owed D. V. Cole, and for about a year thereafter ran a drugstore on the south side of the Square — perhaps at 52 East Burlington Ave., a property owned by D. V. Cole at the time. If Hub was indeed this H. M. Hoxie, he was only 17 when he opened his own store of drugs, stationery and books.
The new druggist’s penchant for advertising gives us a fascinating glimpse into his stock. On May 12, 1848 the Iowa Sentinel says, “H. M. Hoxie, at the Fairfield Drug Store, South side of the Public Square, Will keep constantly on hand a fresh supply of Drugs, Medicines (including the patent Medicines, for which he is agent,) Paints, Oils and Dye-stuffs. Also, stationary [sic] of all kinds, paper, ink, pens, sealing wax, and a full assortment of choice candies, figs, &c., all of which he will retail cheap for the ready pay.” And two weeks later, the Sentinel advertises Hoxie’s “Literary Emporium. Novels and Yarns, Harry Hazels amusing, Ned Butlines commerc[i]al Maryatts entertaining, Halyard’s mirthful pleasing together with Fanny Forresters popular writings in short, anything and everything in light reading to tickle the fancy of the most fastidious at the Fairfield Drug Store by H.M. Hoxie.” Hoxie also stocked the standard toiletries: “Ho Ye Fashionables. The best and superior articles of Bears oil, Macassar oil, Ox Marrow and finely scented cologne water just received and for sale at the Fairfield Drug Store.” And of course he offered the medicines necessary to the frontier: “A Good and superior lot of Quinine, Hydriodate of Potassium, Morphine, Iodine, Piperine can be had at H. M. Hoxie’s.” Quinine combats malaria; hydriodate or iodide of potassium is an expectorant and detoxifier and helps heal goiters and immune dysfunctions; piperine is an alkaloid extract of pepper and was used in traditional medicine and as an insecticide.
By January 26, 1849 H. M. Hoxie turned his business over to D. V. Cole’s younger brother John Bailey, as the Iowa Sentinel then printed Hoxie’s first advertisement verbatim with Cole’s name substituted for Hoxie’s: “J. B. Cole, at the Fairfield Drug Store, South side of the Public Square,” offering the same stock “cheap for the ready pay."
Fairfield Ledger -- Jan. 16, 1907 -- Page 9 col. 2
IN FAIRFIELD IN ’49. C. W. GAGE of this city is in receipt of a letter from HUGH H. SHUFFLETON, SR., of Gas Point, Cal., who left Fairfield in 1849. He was a clerk in the drug store of D. V. COLE, which occupied the site of the D. G. HIGLEY store of today and which has been used continuously for that business from that day to the present.
1850 original member of the IA State Medical society: http://iagenweb.org/history/Medicine/PartSixth.htm
[Not clear why he isn't on list of "Charter Members" but he is on the "List of Members (May 19, 1850) ... D.V. Cole ...." which was dated one month before the first state convention.
As a druggist (and later doctor), may be the D.V. Cole referenced here:
"In 1859, the Judge [Byron Rice] retired from the banking business and resumed the practice of law with "Dan" Finch, continuing to the Fall of 1876, when he retired from active business... His last official act was the appointment of Doctor D. V. Cole, County Liquor Agent, under the prohibitory law, authorizing the sale of intoxicating liquors only by the County Agent."
"Annals Of Polk County, Iowa And City Of Des Moines"
" July 5,1855, one day after the first prohibitory law went into force, it was ordered by the County Judge that Dr. D. V. Cole be paid the sum of $1,000 with which he, as liquor agent, was to purchase a stock of liquors for the county, to be sold by him at an advance of 25 per cent above cost for medical, mechanical and sacramental purposes only, and he was instructed to procure a supply of liquors for such purposes as soon as practicable, and he was also authorized if possible to purchase a supply of liquors in Fort Des Moines sufficient to meet the necessary demand until he could procure them elsewhere. It will be seen by this there was no delay in establishing the "county grocery" after the prohibitory law took effect. The thirsty did not have to wait very long."
D.V. Cole pg 102, 112 & 146, mention
Of Ft. Des Moines, Polk Co. He is not listed as a Charter member [see above], but was present at the first meeting of the Iowa State Medical Society, 1850. He was a Charter member of the Polk Co. Medical Society & elected as it's first vice-president in 1851. Dr. D.V. Cole was noted in the bio of A.G. Field to be practicing medicine in Des Moines in the mid-1860's
http://iagenweb.org/polk/News%20&%20Newspapers/polknews.htm "Notes on the History of Iowa Newspapers, 1836-1870"
Commonwealth: Commonwealth was founded late in 1860 by Andrew J. Stevens and William H. Hoxie. Stevens left soon. In 1861, Hoxie turned over the plant to J.B. Bausman and S.W. Russell, who soon wearied and were glad to consolidate with the Journal and sell a controlling interest to Dr. D.V. Cole. The combined papers became the Times, which died soon afterwards. Late in 1862, William H. Merritt bought the material of the Times and revived the name Statesman. He put into the paper such energy and ability that soon it became one of the leading Democratic journals of the state. After four years he sold to Staub and Jenkins, who turned it over to G.W. Snow. Snow's health failed, and publication was suspended. In 1870, W.W. Witmer bought the plant for himself and Barnhart Brothers. They began the Democratic Leader.
Advertisement for Ague treatment: http://books.google.com/books?pg=PA293&lpg=PA292&id=IXwUAAAAYAAJ
History of Jefferson County, Iowa
"Evidence of efforts to secure distant trade and of the extent of territory then covered in business is discovered in advertisements of the Philadelphia Saturday Gleaner and of the Weekly Organ of St. Louis, "family journals;" of a firm of booksellers and of a merchant of fancy and staple dry goods, both of St. Louis, and of a dealer in general merchandise and of a dealer in drugs and liquors, both of Agency City. The home advertising carries a bold note. Charles David informs travelers that he has purchased the Eagle Hotel and that he has "a good stable, well provided with hay, corn, oats and currycombs." Augdeon & Lenberg announce that they are "prepared to make to order" all articles in the tailoring line. The professional cards are those of Slagle and Acheson, "attornies at law;" of Dr. William L. Orr and Dr. John T. Huey, "associated in the practice of medicine and surgery;" of Dr. J. C. Wear, and of N. Steel, "physician and surgeon." Dr. D. V. Cole, "druggist and chemist," manufactures pills and compounds an "Ague Tonic," the virtues of which are elaborately set out in prose and verse. One stanza will convey an idea of the rhymes:
"If Ague Chills you e'er should have—
As on these western streams you will;
And if Physician's bills you'd save,
Then buy the Tonic, and cure your chill."
So strong an argument must have proved irresistible to sufferers. To the efficacy of the remedy, James A. Cunningham, John A. Pitzer and James T. Hardin all testify."
"Winfield Courier, December 5, 1878. - Dr. D. V. Cole, of Des Moines, Iowa, has permanently located in Winfield, and will devote his entire time to the practice of medicine. Calls promptly attended in the city or county. Office in Mr. Bahntge's new brick block, upstairs, west room. Particular attention given to the treatment of diseases of women, children, eye, ear, throat, lungs, and all forms and conditions of chronic disease. Dr. Cole has had an extensive public and private practice of more then 25 years in treating the diseases in the west. His facilities for acquiring a knowledge of his profession in the public and private hospitals has not been surpassed by any physician in the state. He can assure the citizens of Winfield and vicinity that he can treat with success all forms of curable diseases."
Dr. D. V. Cole's Timeline
June 23, 1822
March 10, 1849
St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, United States
spouse: Henrietta FLEISCHMAN (AFN: SK7P-MV )
Name: D W Cole
Name: Henriette E Cole
Name: Dudly Muffleton
Name: Christena Lell
Film Number: 442960
D V Cole
name: Edward G Cole
Name: D V Cole
Name: Henrietta Cole
Name: Wm Cole
Name: Eddie Cole
Name: Laura Cole
Name: B Dakeman
NEXT DOOR TO COUSIN Isaac Jackson Cole (son of D V's uncle William) & Hannah Caroline Dean Cole and their EIGHT Children [they later moved to California, and I.J. & Caroline both died prior to 1890]
Name: P J Cole
Name: Nellie C Haltiwanger
Name: Henrietta A Cole
- - - -
It's possible Wm Henry lived in Canada and that is how Edward met Ursula. I expect the connection has to do with one of the Farringer's being a pharmacist.
= = = =
Name: Nellie Haltiwanger
February 14, 1900
Wellington, Sumner, Kansas, United States
Wellington, KS, USA
David Vinsin Cole
chicago, Illinois, United States
Class of '65
David V Cole Winfield Kansas