About John Anderson
The Bedford Springs Hotel was founded in 1806 by Bedford native, John Anderson. The central, Greek Revival hotel building was designed by local architect Solomon Filler between 1824 and 1842. The four hotel guest room buildings to the north of the central building were built being 1806 and 1890. The Bedford Springs Hotel was used by U.S. President James Buchanan as his summer White House and was the site of the summer sessions of the U.S. Supreme Court from 1857 to 1861. The accompanying golf course was designed by Donald Ross in 1924. The hotel was used by the U.S. Navy as a radio training school during World War II and was also used to detain Japanese diplomats captured in Berlin, Germany.
The hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places December 20, 1984.