|Also Known As:||"Alexander of Islay Earl of Ross and Lord of the Isles", "Alasdair MacDomhnaill", "Dòmhnallach or MacDhòmhnaill"|
|Birthplace:||Tulloch Castle,Dingwall,Ross And Cromarty,Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Tulloch Castle,Dingwall,Ross And Cromarty,Scotland|
|Place of Burial:||Fortrose Catherdral|
Son of Donald MacDonald, of Harlaw, 8th Lord of the Isles and Mariota Leslie, Countess of Ross
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Alexander MacDonald, 9th Lord of the Isles, 12th Earl of Ross
About Alexander MacDonald, 9th Lord of the Isles, 12th Earl of Ross
Alexander of Islay or Alexander MacDonald (died 1449; Scottish Gaelic: Alasdair MacDomhnaill, Dòmhnallach or MacDhòmhnaill) was a medieval Scottish nobleman, who succeeded his father Domhnall of Islay as Lord of the Isles (1423–1449) and rose to the rank of Earl of Ross (1437–49). His lively career, especially before he attained the earldom of Ross, led Hugh MacDonald, the 17th century author of History of the MacDonalds, to commemorate him as "a man born to much trouble all his lifetime".
Alexander allied himself with King James I of Scotland against the power of the Albany Stewarts in 1425 but, once the Albany Stewarts were out of the way, Alexander quickly found himself at odds with the new king. War with King James would initially prove Alexander's undoing, and would see the King's power in Scotland greatly increased, but at the Battle of Inverlochy Alexander's army prevailed against the forces of the King. Alexander died in 1449, having greatly extended his family's landed wealth and power. He was buried, not in the Isles of his ancestors, but at Fortrose Cathedral in his mainland Earldom of Ross.
Alexander MacDonald, 9th Lord of the Isles, 12th Earl of Ross died on 8 May 1449 at Tulloch Castle, Dingwall, Ross & Cromarty, Scotland.3
- Father: Domhnall of Islay
- Mother: Mariota MacDonald
- Elizabeth Seton, daughter of Sir Alexander Seton, Lord Gordon and Elizabeth de Gordon.
- (Miss) MacPhee; His 2nd marriage.2 Alexander MacDonald, 9th Lord of the Isles, 12th Earl of Ross
Family 1 by Elizabeth Seton
- Margaret MacDonald+ d. c 1490
- John MacDonald, 13th Earl of Ross, Last Lord of the Isles+4 b. c 1415, d. 1455
- Hugh MacDonald, 1st Chief of Sleat+3 b. c 1430, d. 1498
Family 2 by (Miss) MacPhee
- Celestine MacDonald, Sheriff of Inverness, Keeper of Redcastle+2 b. b 1449, d. 1476
- The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. XI, p. 150-151.
- The Scots Peerage, Vol. V, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 44.
- RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project.
- The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XI, p. 151-153.