Ebenezer's Top Matches
About Ebenezer Britton
Ebenezer Britton, fourth son of William and Lydia Britton, was born 1 June 1715 in Raynham, Bristol Co., Massachusetts, where he lived about 55 years, died 21 January 1788 in Westmoreland, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire, where he is buried in North Cemetery. He was in Boston for about a year and went to Westmoreland, New Hampshire, in 1771. He bought one hundred acres of land there July 6 of that year, and also purchased a grist and saw mill with twelve acres -- the first mills built in that town. The grantor was James Minot, of Putney, "province of New York," the jurisdiction of Vermont then being in dispute. Putney is on the opposite side of the Connecticut River from Westmoreland.
Ebenezer Britton was a warm patriot in revolutionary days and signed the "association test." When his neighbors were troubled about the depreciation of continental money, he said: "
"I am not afraid of continental money; it will be redeemed in good time; redeemed or not redeemed, no soldier who has fought under George Washington shall go hungry while I have corn to feed him!" Several of his sons were enlisted in the army. He was active in church and town matters, serving as deacon and many times as selectman, and was representative in 1776, 1777 and 1778, and member of the Continental Congress 1777-1778. He died at Westmoreland 21 January 1788. He married first 20 May 1735 Tabitha, daughter of Seth Leonard, his cousin, who died in 1749. On 20 February 1749/1750 in Raynham or in Providence, Rhode Island, he married Sarah H. Bullock, born 12 September 1731 in Rehoboth, Bristol County, Massachusetts, died 19 September 1790 in Westmoreland where she is also buried in the North Cemetery.
Their sons Samuel, Calvin and Luther and several grandchildren settled in Jefferson County, New York.
Children of Ebenezer Britton and Sarah Bullock:
1. Keziah, born 22 April 1753; married 12 April 1772
2. Job, mentioned below
3. James, born 21 September 1756, died 1782; married 7 December 1777 in Westmoreland, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire
4. Mercy, born 17 April 1759, died 30 December 1807 in Chesterfield, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire; married about 1780
5. Samuel, born 31 March 1761 in Westmoreland, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire, died 19 April 1835, buried in Sand Bay Cemetery, very near the main highway between Cape Vincent and Clayton, Jefferson County, New York; married 31 March 1784 in Westmoreland, Mindwell Butterfield. He was a Revolutionary War veteran. He attempted to remain neutral during the War of 1812, to the scorn of his neighbors.
6. Asa, born 30 April 1763 in Raynham, Bristol County, Massachusetts, died 30 June 1849 in Chesterfield, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire, buried in North Cemetery, Westmoreland; married 9 March 1788
7. Stephen, born 21 April 1765 in Raynham, died 23 June 1847 in Westmoreland, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire, buried in North Cemetery; married 10 August 1788 in Westmoreland, Sybil Fuller.
10. Calvin, born 1771, a brigadier-general in the War of 1812, accompanied his brothers in the settlement of Jefferson Co., New York; married Mary Cole. He built a limestone mansion outside of Brownville on the Perch River Road, which stands today. He was involved in clearing timber from the Brownville area during its early settlement, and ran a business shipping timber by raft up to Montreal with his great-nephew, Lyman Britton. Calvin succeeded Gen. Jacob Brown in command of the local militia.
11. Luther, born 1773, settled in Chaumont, Jefferson Co., New York. He built a stone tavern in Chaumont, which was used as a gathering place for troops during the War of 1812, and is still standing.
- Birth: 1 JUN 1715 in Raynham, Bristol County, Mass. [estab as City 1731; then a part of Taunton
- Death: 21 JAN 1788 in Westmoreland, Cheshire, NH, bu North Cem., Westmoreland, Cheshire, NH
- Fact 3: bu. Old No. Cem. on rte. 63, overlooking Conn. Riv., & S. of L. Keep Restaurant
- Fact 4: BET. 1775 - 1776 Member of Committee of Safety, 1775/Westmoreland
- Fact 5: 22 FEB 1748/49 Maried to Sarah J. Bullock by John Andrews, Justice of the Peace
- Fact 6: Name always spelled Brettun in his account book
- Fact 7: BET. 1777 - 1778 Member House of Representatives, NH; 1776-1777-1778
- Fact 8: Purchased 100 acres land in Westmoreland
- Fact 10: BET. 1714 - 1715 WFT has birth as Jan 06, 1714/1715 vs. ours Jun.
- Fact 11: 23 MAR 1997 See notes for quotes of NH State & Wd papers, by M.H. Christie in DBM's files
- Religion: 7 AUG 1757 Joined Raynham 1st Congregational Church
- Military Service: 21 JAN 1788 see notes for tombstone marking
- Military Service: BET. 1777 - 1778 Member of Continental Congress [?]
Father: William Jr. Britton b: BET. 1678 - 1679 in Taunton, Bristol, Co., Mass
Mother: Lydia Alden Leonard b: 10 MAR 1678/79 in Taunton, Bristol, Co. Mass
Marriage 1 Tabitha Leonard b: BET. 1717 - 1718 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass or Providence, RI
- Married: 20 MAY 1735 in Raynham, Plymouth, Mass
1. [Has No Children] Tabitha Britton b: 16 AUG 1736 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass
2. [Has Children] Ebenezer Jr. Britton b: 23 APR 1739 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass
3. [Has Children] David Britton b: 14 JUN 1741 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass
4. [Has Children] Abigail Britton b: 30 MAR 1744 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass
5. [Has No Children] Wealthy Britton b: 7 MAY 1746 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass
6. [Has Children] Tabitha Britton b: 31 MAR 1749 in Raynham,Bristol, Massachusetts
Marriage 2 Sarah H. Bullock b: 12 SEP 1731 in Rehoboth, Bristol, MA
- Married: 22 FEB 1749/50 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Mass
1. [Has No Children] Samuel Britton b: 30 MAY 1751 in Raynham, Britsol, Mass.
2. [Has Children] Keziah Britton b: 22 APR 1753 in Raynham, Bristol, Massachusetts
3. [Has Children] Job Britton b: 20 FEB 1755 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass.
4. [Has Children] James Britton b: 21 SEP 1756 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass.
5. [Has Children] Mercy Britton b: 17 APR 1759 in Raynham, Bristol, MA
6. [Has Children] Samuel Britton II b: 31 MAR 1761 in Raynham, Bristol, MA
7. [Has Children] Asa Britton b: 30 APR 1763 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass
8. [Has Children] Stephen Britton b: 21 APR 1765 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass; of Westrmoreland, Cheshire, NH
9. [Has Children] Squire Britton b: 14 JUN 1767 in Raynham , Bristol, Massachusetts
10. [Has Children] Sarah Britton b: 9 MAY 1769 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass.
11. [Has Children] Calvin Britton b: 1 APR 1771 in Raynham, Bristol, Mass.
12. [Has Children] Luther Britton b: 12 MAY 1773 in Westmoreland, Cheshire, NH
13. [Has Children] Martin Britton b: 19 JUL 1775 in Westmoreland, Cheshire, NH.
Children of Ebenezer7 Britton include:
i. General Calvin6 Britton; b. Brownville, Jefferson Co, New York; d.
54 ii. Samuel Britton.
Ebenezer Britton's Timeline
June 1, 1715
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
May 20, 1735
August 16, 1736
Raynham, MA, USA
April 23, 1739
Raynham, Bristol County, Province of Massachusetts, (Present USA)
June 14, 1741
Raynham, MA, USA
March 30, 1744
Raynham, MA, USA
March 30, 1744
Raynham, Mass, USA
April 11, 1748
Raynham, Bristol County, Province of Massachusetts
February 22, 1749
Rehoboth, MA, USA