About Edward Bruce
Edward Bruce, 1st Lord Kinloss PC (1548 – 14 January 1611) was an Anglo-Scottish lawyer and judge.
Kinloss was the second son of Edward Bruce of Blairhall and Alison Reid. He served as a Lord of Session from 1597 to 1603 and was created Lord Kinloss in 1602, with remainder to his heirs and assigns whatsoever. He played an important role in King James VI's succession to the throne of England, and accompanied the king to England on his accession in 1603. The same year Kinloss became an English subject, was admitted to the Privy Council and appointed Master of the Rolls for life. In 1604 he was made Lord Bruce of Kinloss, with remainder to his heirs male, and in 1608 he was created Lord Bruce of Kinloss, with remainder to any of his heirs. Lord Kinloss married Magdalene Clerk, daughter of Alexander Clerk. He died in London in January 1611 and was succeeded in his three titles by his eldest son Edward.
Children of Edward Bruce and Magdalene Clerk:
- 1.Robert Bruce
- 2.Edward Bruce, 2nd Lord Kinloss (1594–1613)
- 3.Christian Bruce (died 1675)
- 4.Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of Elgin (1599–1663)
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source?][better source needed]
- From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bruce,_1st_Lord_Kinloss
- 'Edward Bruce, 1st Lord Bruce of Kinloss1,2
- 'M, b. 1548, d. 14 January 1611
- Father Sir Edward Bruce1 b. 1505, d. 1565
- Mother Allison Reid1
- ' Edward Bruce, 1st Lord Bruce of Kinloss married Magdalen Clerk, daughter of Sir Alexander Clerk.3 Edward Bruce, 1st Lord Bruce of Kinloss was born in 1548 at of Easter Kennet, Scotland.1 He died on 14 January 1611; Buried in Rolls Chapel, Chancery Lane, London. Age 62.1,2
- 'Family Magdalen Clerk d. a 9 Apr 1616
- ◦Sir Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of Elgin, 1st Lord Bruce of Kinloss, 1st Baron Bruce of Whorlton+2 b. 2 Dec 1599, d. 21 Dec 1663
- 1.[S11565] The Scots Peerage, Vol. III, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 474-477.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. II, p. 350-351, notes.
- 3.[S11565] The Scots Peerage, Vol. III, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 476.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1566.htm#i47066
- 'Edward Bruce, 1st Baron Bruce of Kinlosse1
- 'M, #10994, b. 1548, d. 14 January 1610/11
- Last Edited=18 Jun 2011
- ' Edward Bruce, 1st Baron Bruce of Kinlosse was born in 1548.1 He was the son of Sir Edward Bruce of Blairhall and Alison Reid.1 He married Magdalene Clerk, daughter of Alexander Clerk.3 He died on 14 January 1610/11.3 He was buried at Rolls Chapel, Chancery Lane, London, England.3 His will was probated on 14 January 1610/11.3
- ' He was admitted to Scottish Bar.1 He was Commissary of Edinburgh in 1583.1 He held the office of Lord of Session between 1597 and 1604.1 He held the office of Ambassador to England in 1600, and was instrumental in ensuring the succesion of King James VI to the English throne.3 He was created 1st Lord Kinloss [Scotland] on 2 February 1601/2.1 He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.) on 4 May 1603.1 He held the office of Master of the Rolls from 4 May 1603 to 14 January 1610/11.1 He was created 1st Baron Bruce of Kinlosse [Scotland] on 8 July 1604, with remainder to his male heirs.3 He was awarded the honorary degree of Master of Arts (M.A.) by Oxford University, Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, in 1605.1 He was created 1st Lord Bruce of Kinloss [Scotland] on 3 May 1608, with remainder to any of his heirs.3 His last will was dated 9 August 1610. He has an extensive biographical entry in the Dictionary of National Biography.4
- 'Child of Edward Bruce, 1st Baron Bruce of Kinlosse
- 1.Janet Bruce+1
- 'Children of Edward Bruce, 1st Baron Bruce of Kinlosse and Magdalene Clerk
- 1.Hon. Christian Bruce+2 d. 16 Jun 1674
- 2.Edward Bruce, 2nd Baron Bruce of Kinlosse3 d. Aug 1613
- 3.Robert Bruce3 b. b 24 Feb 1593, d. b 1611
- 4.Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of Elgin+3 b. 2 Feb 1599, d. 21 Dec 1663
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003). Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 1127.
- 3.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 351. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p1100.htm#i10994
- William CAVENDISH (2° E. Devonshire)
- Born: 1590
- Died: 20 Jun 1628, London, Bishopsgate Str.
- Buried: Derby, All Saints'
- Father: William CAVENDISH (1° E. Devonshire)
- Mother: Anne KEIGHLEY
- Married: Christian BRUCE (b. 28 Dec 1595 - d. 16 Jan 1675, Southampton Buildings) (dau. of 'Sir Edward Bruce, 1° B. Kinloss, and Magdalene Clerk') 10 Apr 1608, London ....
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/CAVENDISH.htm#William CAVENDISH (2° E. Devonshire)
Edward Bruce, 1st Lord Kinloss's Timeline
Blairhall, Fifeshire, Scotland
December 28, 1595
December 2, 1599
Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh, UK
Chancery Lane, London, England
January 14, 1611