About Edward Hopkins
Governor of the Connecticut Colony.
An Original Proprietor of Hartford, Connecticut
Governor Edward Hopkins (1600-1657) was born at Shrewsbury, Co. Salop, in England, in 1600; son of Edward, or Edmund, Hopkins and Katherine, sister of Sir Henry Lello, Knight, Warden of the Fleet, and Keeper of the Palace of Westminster;1 a Turkey merchant; arrived in Boston, June 26, 1637; came to Hartford, perhaps, the same year; he was an original proprietor, and in 1639 owned a home-lot opposite the Meeting-House Yard on Main St., and he also owned a large tract of land on the south bank of the Little River, east of the present Front St. Chosen Assistant, 1639; Governor the next year, and thereafter in alternate years with John Haynes until he went home in 1652. His brother, Henry Hopkins, who had received the office of Warden of the Fleet from his uncle, Sir Henry Lello, died in 1654-5, and by his will constituted Governor Hopkins Warden of the Fleet, and Keeper of the Palace of Westminster. His wife was Ann, daughter of David Yale, of Denbighshire. He died in London, 1657; will dated March 7, proved April 30, 1657, by Henry Dalley, nephew and sole executor. He remembered the plantations in Connecticut, leaving money in trust to his friends, Theophilus Eaton, Esquire, Mr. John Davenport, Mr. John Cullick, and Mr. Goodwyn, "for the breeding up of hopeful youths in a way of learning, both at the Grammar School and College,"' and the Hopkins Grammar Schools in Hartford and New Haven still perpetuate his memory.
SOURCE: James Hammond Trumbull, editor, The memorial history of Hartford County, Connecticut, 1633-1884, Volume 1 (Boston, Massachusetts: Edward L. Osgood, 1886), page 246. Retrieved: 3 May 2011 from Google Books
1 His seal is in the Winthrop papers impaling the arms of Lello, of Herefordshire.