About Edward Martin
Edward Martin (September 18, 1879 – March 19, 1967) was an American lawyer and Republican party politician from Waynesburg, Pennsylvania.
Martin was born at Ten Mile, Pennsylvania in 1879. He attended public schools and graduated from Waynesburg College in Waynesburg, Pennsylvania, in 1901. He studied law, was admitted to the bar in 1905 and commenced practice in Waynesburg. He served in the Spanish-American War on the Mexican Border and in the First and Second World Wars. He was a burgess of East Waynesburg from 1902 to 1905, solicitor of Greene County from 1908 to 1910 and again from 1916 to 1920. He served as auditor general of Pennsylvania from 1925 to 1929 and State treasurer from 1929 to 1933. He was adjutant general of Pennsylvania from 1939 to 1943. He was also president of the National Guard Association of the United States in 1940. He had varied business interests, including fire insurance, oil and gas, and banking.
Martin was elected Governor of Pennsylvania in 1943. He served as president of the Council of State Governments in 1946 and was elected as a Republican to the United States Senate in the same year. Martin was re-elected to the Senate in 1952. During the Eighty-third Congress from 1953 to 1955, when the Republicans were in the majority, he was chairman of the Committee on Public Works. Martin did not seek re-nomination to a third term in 1958. He died in Washington, Pennsylvania, in 1967 and is buried at Greene Mount Cemetery in Waynesburg.
Fort Indiantown Gap
Before entering public life, Martin served as a general in the United States National Guard. Martin was prominent in the development of Fort Indiantown Gap and after his death, the United States Senate renamed the facility the Edward Martin Military Reservation, a designation that Martin himself had rejected throughout his life. The new name was never fully accepted by the military personnel who served there. In 1975, the Secretary of the Army renamed the post Fort Indiantown Gap in order to more closely align it with the other active duty stations throughout the United States.