About Edward Nott, Governor
Edward Nott, lieutenant-governor of Virginia under the Earl of Orkney, from August 18, 1705, to August 23, 1706, was born in England in 1657. He served very gallantly in the West Indies as major and colonel of a regiment. On August 15, 1705, he succeeded Colonel Francis Nicholson as governor of Virginia. Wiser than Nicholson, he took care not to offend the council, and was very popular with all classes, but he died only about a year after his arrival. Several important events, however, in the colonial annals are identified with his brief administration: The completion of the capitol building begun by Nicholson; the burning of the college, October, 1705; the founding by Mrs. Mary Whaley of Mattey's Free School near Williamsburg, and the adoption by the assembly of a revised code of laws — the fourth since the first settlement. In this code provision was made for building a governor's house, for completing the founding of Williamsburg, and for encouraging the French Protestant refugees whose settlement was above the falls of the river at "King William's parish in the county of Henrico." Some years after the sudden demise of Nott, August 23, 1706, a handsome box monument of marble was erected by the general assembly over his remains in Bruton parish churchyard. It is still standing. He was succeeded at the head of the government by the president of the council, Edmund Jennings.