Edward Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp
|Birthplace:||Tower of London, London, Middlesex, England|
|Death:||Died in Wiltshire, England|
|Place of Burial:||Bedwyn Magna, Wiltshire, England|
Son of Edward Seymour, 1st Earl of Hertford and Catherine Grey, Countess of Hertford
|Managed by:||Noah Gregory Tutak|
Matching family tree profiles for Edward Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp
About Edward Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp
Edward Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp
Edward Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp (21 September 1561 – 21 July 1612) was the son of the 1st Earl of Hertford and the former Lady Catherine Grey, younger sister of Lady Jane Grey. From the dynastic point of view, he was an important English royal claimant; in reality, he was a cipher whose legitimacy was questioned.
Edward Seymour was born in the Tower of London, where his mother had been imprisoned for secretly marrying his father, against the wishes of Queen Elizabeth I. His mother was already pregnant when she entered the Tower, and was given poor living conditions, apparently in the hope that she would either miscarry or die. For many years, her children were regarded as illegitimate because no proof could be produced of her legal marriage.
Regardless of legal problems, by 1603 Edward was the senior qualified heir of Henry VIII's will, stipulating that the elder line of Stuart, through Margaret Tudor, should be passed in favour of the younger line, through Mary Tudor, his favourite, younger, sister. Edward's only possible rival under the will was Anne Stanley, Countess of Castlehaven, who would have been heir if Edward were considered illegitimate. The succession progressed in favour of the elder anyway, placing James VI of Scotland on the English throne. Had the stipulations of the will been carried out, Edward would have become Edward VII of England, and England and Scotland would not have been placed in a personal union. Elizabeth I never officially replaced her father's will, but James succeeded through the support of the English Parliament.
Some time before mid-1582 Edward married Honora Rogers, daughter of Sir Richard Rogers of Bryanston and Cecilia Luttrell. They had six children:
- Edward Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp (1586–1618), married Lady Anne Sackville, daughter of the 2nd Earl of Dorset, and died without issue.
- William Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp (1588–1660), later 2nd Earl of Hertford eventually regained the Dukedom of Somerset, which Beauchamp's grandfather had held.
- Francis Seymour (c. 1590–1664), later ennobled as Baron Seymour of Trowbridge. Grandfather of Charles Seymour, 6th Duke of Somerset.
- Honora Seymour (bef. 1594–1620), married Sir Ferdinando Sutton, son of the 5th Baron Dudley.
- Anne Seymour
- Mary Seymour
Both Lord Beauchamp and his eldest son, Edward, predeceased his father, Lord Hertford (d. 1621), and his second son, William, succeeded his grandfather in the Earldom.
- Edward Seymour, Lord Beauchamp1,2,3
- M, #39077, b. 21 September 1561, d. circa 13 July 1612
- Father Sir Edward Seymour, Earl of Hertford, Baron Beauchamp4 b. 12 Oct 1537, d. 6 Apr 1621
- Mother Katherine Grey4 b. Aug 1540, d. 27 Jan 1568
- Edward Seymour, Lord Beauchamp was born on 21 September 1561 at Tower of London, London, Middlesex, England.1 He was christened on 26 September 1561 at St. Peter's-ad-Vincula, London, Middlesex, England.1 He married Honora Rogers, daughter of Sir Richard Rogers, Sheriff of Dorset and Cecilia Luttrell, before 1 July 1582.1,2,3 Edward Seymour, Lord Beauchamp died circa 13 July 1612 at Wick, Wiltshire, England.1 He was buried on 21 July 1612 at Bedwyn Magna, Wiltshire, England.1
- Family Honora Rogers d. a 28 Feb 1608
- Sir William Seymour, 10th Earl Hertford, 6th Duke Somerset1,2,3 b. 1 Sep 1587, d. 24 Oct 1660
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 507.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 594.
- 3.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 672-673.
- 4.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. VI, p. 506-507.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1301.htm#i39077
- Edward Seymour, Lord Beauchamp1
- M, #102751, b. 21 September 1561, d. 21 July 1612
- Last Edited=22 Oct 2009
- Edward Seymour, Lord Beauchamp was born on 21 September 1561 at Tower of London, The City, London, England. He was the son of Edward Seymour, 1st Earl of Hertford and Lady Catherine Grey. He married Honora Rogers, daughter of Sir Richard Rogers and Cecilia Luttrell, before 1 July 1582. He died on 21 July 1612 [13 July 1612 O.S.] at age 50 at Wick, Wiltshire, England.
- He was styled as Lord Beauchamp.2
- Children of Edward Seymour, Lord Beauchamp and Honora Rogers
- 1.Lady Honora Seymour+3 d. c Mar 1620
- 2.Lord Edward Beauchamp Seymour b. 12 Jun 1586, d. 1618
- 3.William Seymour, 2nd Duke of Somerset+ b. 1588, d. 24 Oct 1660
- 4.Francis Seymour, 1st Baron Seymour of Trowbridge+4 b. c 1590, d. 12 Jul 1664
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume VI, page 507. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 158. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- 3.[S37] BP2003 volume 1, page 1192. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 4.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume XI, page 640.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10276.htm#i102751
- Edward SEYMOUR (B. Beauchamp)
- Born: 21 Sep 1561, Tower of London, Middlesex, England
- Died: 21 Jul 1612
- Buried: Bedwyn Magna, Wiltshire, England
- Father: Edward SEYMOUR (2° E. Hertford)
- Mother: Catherine GREY (C. Hertford)
- Married: Honora ROGERS BEF 1 Jul 1582
- 1. Edward SEYMOUR (B. Beauchamp)
- 2. Honora SEYMOUR
- 3. William SEYMOUR (2° D. Somerset)
- 4. Francis SEYMOUR (1° B. Trowbridge)
- 5. Anne SEYMOUR
- 6. Mary SEYMOUR
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SEYMOUR.htm#Edward SEYMOUR (B. Beauchamp)2
- SEYMOUR, William, Lord Beauchamp (1587-1660), of Amesbury House, Amesbury, Wilts. and Tottenham Court, Great Bedwyn, Wilts.; later of Essex House, London.
- b. 1 Sept. 1587,1 2nd. s. of Edward Seymour (d.1612), styled Lord Beauchamp and Honora, da. of Sir Richard Rogers of Bryanston, Dorset; bro. of Sir Francis*.2 educ. Trowbridge g.s. Wilts. c.1598-1604;3 Magdalen, Oxf. 1605, BA 1607, MA 1636, MD 1645;4 M. Temple 1618.5 m. (1) 22 June 1610, Arbella (d. 25 Sept. 1615), da. of Charles Stuart, 1st earl of Lennox [S], s.p.;6 (2) 3 Mar. 1617, Frances (d.1674), da. of Robert Devereux, 2nd earl of Essex, 5s. (4 d.v.p.) 4da. (1 d.v.p.).7 cr. KB 3 Nov. 1616; mq. of Hertford 3 June 1641; KG 27 May 1660;8 styled Lord Beauchamp Aug. 1618; summ. to Lords in fa.’s barony 29 Jan. 1621; suc. grandfa. 6 Apr. 1621 as 2nd earl of Hertford; restored 13 Sept. 1660 as Bar. Seymour and 2nd duke of Somerset. d. 24 Oct. 1660.9
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/seymour-william-1587-1660
- SEYMOUR, Sir Francis (c.1590-1664), of Savernake Park and Marlborough Castle, Marlborough, Wilts.
- b. c.1590,1 3rd but 2nd surv. s. of Edward Seymour, styled Lord Beauchamp (d.1612), and Honora, da. of Sir Richard Rogers† of Bryanston, Dorset; bro. of William*. educ. Trowbridge g.s.; ?Oxf.; M. Temple 1626.2 m. (1) 23 Feb. 1613, Frances (d. 6 Sept. 1626), da. and coh. of Sir Gilbert Prinne of Allington, Wilts., 1s. 1da.; (2) Catherine (bur. 5 Mar. 1701), da. of Sir Henry Lee of Billesley, Warws., s.p.3 kntd. 23 Oct. 1613; cr. Bar. Seymour of Trowbridge 19 Feb. 1641.4 d. 12 July 1664.5 sig. F[rancis] Seymour or Seymaur.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/seymour-sir-francis-1590-1664
Edward Seymour, Viscount Beauchamp's Timeline
September 21, 1561
Tower of London, London, Middlesex, England
September 19, 1576
July 1, 1582
London, London, England
September 1, 1587
Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, England
London, Greater London, UK
Tower of London, London, Middlesex, England
July 21, 1612