About Jabez Baker
Jabez Baker was a son of Cornelius Baker, of Salem, and removed to Sandy Bay (now Rockport) from Beverly in 1719. He was one of the ruling elders of the church in Sandy Bay parish (the fifth parish in Gloucester) which was organized February 13, 1755. He died August 24, 1758. He married, June 15, 1703, Rachel Allen, died June 5, 1731. After her death he married Jane.
Jabez and Rachel (Allen) Baker had children, the first three born in Beverly, and the others at Rockport:
- Rachel, married, 1729, Thomas Parsons;
- Anna, born 1707, married Daniel Barber;
- Jabez, married. 1733, Anna Smith;
- Mary, born June 22, 1719. married, 1736, John Rowe:
- Bethia, born February 21,1722. married Daniel Smith;
- Abigail, born March 22. 1726.
Notes He m. Rachel Allen of Gloucester at Salem, 15 Jun 1703. First ch. b. Salem. He removed to Beverly abt. 1705. 6 ch. rec. at Beverly. They removed to Gloucester in 1719. Lived in the Sandy Bay area, now Rockport. 3 ch. rec. at Gloucester. Became an elder in the church. He contributed 2 Spanish dollars towards the purchase of new record books for the parish.
- Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of ..., Volume 2. edited by William Richard Cutter. Page 622