Matching family tree profiles for Eleanora de Hooges
About Eleanora de Hooges
Willem [de la Montagne] lived at Esopus/Kingston initially and at Mombaccus later. He married Eleanora de Hooges, daughter of Anthony de Hooges and Eva Albertse Bratt, banns published at Kingston Reformed Dutch Church on 19 May 1673. Eleanora de Hooges was born at Rensselaerswyck, probably about 1655, the youngest of five children. Her father had been the business manager for the Van Rensselaer family at Rensselaerswyck from 1644 to 1648; thereafter, until his death, he was Secretary of Rensselaerswyck. He died at Fort Orange on 11 October 1655. His widow married Roelof Swartout about 13 August 1657, and Roelof Swartout was the only father that Eleanora ever knew. Swartout was appointed schout (sheriff) at Esopus on 15 April 1660 and settled there with his wife, three stepchildren, and his own growing family.
Aalthough his official duties were quite heavy, Willem was also involved with several business ventures and he gained a reputation as a fair man by both Dutch and English governments.
Willem was appointed High Sheriff of Ulster County, now part of the state of New York, on 24 December 1689 by Leisler. He was replaced by Johannes Hardenbrook on 30 July 1690. It is not known how Willem died, but it is clear that he died in 1690.
Willem's widow married Cornelis de Duyster in 1692, having a child Margriet de Duyster baptized in the Kingston Reformed Dutch Church on 23 April 1693. Eleanora may have died in 1703, since the quit-rent roll for Mombaccus in 1729 notes that taxes had been paid "by the heirs of Wm. De Lamontanye" since 1703. By the time Willem's land in Mombaccus was divided between his heirs, there were only three daughters and no sons named as heirs. The list of freeholders for Ulster County in 1728 does not list any variation of the Montagne name, although all three sons-in-law of Willem are named there. For these reasons, it is believed that all of Willem and Eleanora's descendants are from female lines and that, even though they did have three sons, they have no descendants bearing the Montagne surname today.
SOURCES OF INFORMATION (Given in the order of the original footnotes):
1. Records of the Reformed Dutch Church in New Amsterdam and New York; Baptisms From 25 December 1639 to 27 December 1730. Ed. Thomas Grier Evans. New York: The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 1901. Facsimile reprint. Englewood, NJ: Bergen Historic Books, 1998. 1:12.
2. Peter R. Christoph and others, eds. New York Historical Manuscripts: Dutch: Kingston Papers, Vol 1, Kingston Court Records 1661-1667; Vol. II, Kingston Court Records 1668-1675 and Secretary’s Papers 1664-1675. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1976. I:183.
3. Monjour is probably a Dutch corruption of the family surname Mousnier.
4. Hoes, Baptismal and Marriage Registers… of Kingston RDC, 503. Marriage #30.
5.Randolph, Howard S.F. “Anthony DeHooges, Secretary of Rensselaerswyck and His Descendants.” NYG&BR 67 (1936) 4-15.
6. Berthold Fernow. Documents Relative to the Colonial History of the State of New York. Albany: Weed , Parsons, and Co., 1881. 13:569.
7. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 40. Baptism #746. Baptismal sponsors: Barnardus Swartwoud, Lysbeth Hendriks.
8. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 9. Baptism #124. Baptismal sponsors: Jacob Kip, Eva Swartwoudts.
9. Hoes, Marriage Registers of Kingston RDC, 511. Marriage #108.
10. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 11. Baptism #165. Baptismal sponsors: Roelof Swarwout, Willem Asforbe, Jannetie Loperts.
11. Hoes, Marriage Registers of Kingston RDC, 516. Marriage #167. Although there is no baptismal record for Maria, the marriage record states that Maria Montagnje, j.d., was born in Kingston and residing in Mombaccus.
12. Hoes, Marriage Registers of Kingston RDC, 527. Marriage #286 between Niclaas Westvaal, widower of Marytjen Montanjen, and Zara Van Aken, j.d. took place on 20 October 1712.
13. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 16. Baptism #252. Baptismal sponsors: Roelof Swartwout, Johannes d’Hooges, Elsie Provoost.
14.Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 20. Baptism #325. Baptismal sponsors: Warnaar Hoornbeec, Thomas Swartwout.
15. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 22. Baptism #386. Baptismal sponsors: Walrave Du Mon, Anna de Hooges.
16. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 27. Baptism #492. Baptismal sponsors: Huybert Lambertz, Eva Albertz Bratz.
17. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 87. Baptism #1785. Dirk Krom and Eva de Lamontangne bring their child Willem for baptism on 11 September 1709.
18. Hoes, Baptismal Registers of Kingston RDC, 32. Baptism #582. Baptismal sponsors: Roulof Swaertwouth, Gritje Henderix.
19. Hoes, Marriage Registers of Kingston RDC, 526. Marriage #278.
NOTE: Riker lists another daughter, Johanna, b 1676, living 1699 [Riker 785] but, in fact, that Johanna was the daughter of Jan Jr. who was a sponsor in 1699 in the Kingston Church for a Vredenburgh baptism (her husband's family) and for a Decker baptism (her cousin's family). Johanna and her husband lived in New York City, but clearly visited their relatives in Kingston on occasion.
Father: Jean Mousnier de la MONTAGNE b: 1595 in France Mother: Rachel DEFOREST b: 1609 in Moncornet, Picardy, France
Marriage 1 Eleanora DE HOOGES b: ABT 1655 in Beverwyck, now Albany, New York
Married: 19 MAY 1673 in (banns) Kingston Reformed Dutch Church
Rachel de la MONTAGNE b: 1674 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York Willem la MONTAGNE b: 1678 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York Maria de la MONTAGNE b: 1680 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York Johannes de la MONTAGNE b: 1682 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York Eva de la MONTAGNE b: 1683 in Mombaccus, Ulster County, New York Jesse de la MONTAGNE b: 1684 in Mombaccus, Ulster County, New York Eva de la MONTAGNE b: 1686 in Mombaccus, Ulster County, New York Catherina de la MONTAGNE b: 1688 in Mombaccus, Ulster County, New York
Title: Records of the Reformed Dutch Church in New Amsterdam and New York: Baptisms 1639 to 1730, Author: Thomas Grier Evans, editor., Publication: New York: NYG&BS, 1901. Facsimile reprint Englewood, NJ: Bergen Historic Books, 1998. Repository:, Media: Book, Page: 12., Text: 22 April 1641. Willem, son of Jan de la Montagne. Sponsors: de Hr. Willem Kief, Command.; Do. Everardus Bogardua, Marritje Thymes, Cataline Strafele.
Title: Baptismal and Marriage Registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston, Ulster County, New York, 1660-1809. Author: Roswell Randall Hoes, editor. Publication: New York: De Minne Press, 1891. Facsimile reprint Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1980. Repository: Media: Book, Page: Page 503. Marriage #30., Text: W. Montagne, and Helenora de Hooges, the latter born in the Colony of Rensselaerswyck. Banns recorded 19 May 1673. Date of marriage not given
Eleanora de Hooges's Timeline
Rensselaerwyck, New Netherland
May 19, 1673
Kingston, Ulster Co., NY
July 21, 1674
Kingston, Ulster, New York, United States
Kingston, Ulster, New York
Kingston, Ulster, New York
November 7, 1686
Kingston, Ulster, New York, USA
April 23, 1693
Ulster, Ulster, New York, United States
July 13, 1701
Kingston, Ulster, New York, United States