Eleanore Browne (FitzAlan)
|Also Known As:||"Elenor Fitz Alan", "Alianor De Arunel", "Eleanor Fitzalan", "Eleanor of Arundel"|
|Birthplace:||Bechworth Castle, Surrey, UK|
|Death:||Died in Betchworth, Surrey, UK|
|Place of Burial:||Beverley, Yorkshire, England|
Daughter of Thomas FitzAlan Arundel and Joane de Arundel (le Moyns)
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Eleanore FitzAlan Browne (de Arundel)
About Eleanore FitzAlan Browne (de Arundel)
Eleanor FITZALAN, daughter and co- heir of Sir Thomas Fitz‑Alan of Beechworth/Betchworth Castle, (the brother of John, Earl of Arundel). From ca 1431, her name became Browne. She had 7 children with her first husband, Sir Thomas Browne. After Sir Thomas Browne was attainted and executed for treason, she married Sir Thomas Vaughn. Eleanor and Thomas Browne were ancestors of the poet, Percy Bysshe Shelley. Another descendant of theirs is the American Abolitionist, John Brown.
On the death of Eleanor's father, Thomas FitzAlan, Betchworth Castle passed from the FitzAlans to the Brownes, who occupied it until 1690.
Born: ABT 1428, Bechworth, Surrey, England
Father: Thomas FITZALAN (Sir)
Mother: Joan MOYNS
Married 1: Thomas BROWNE (Sir Sheriff) 1437
1. Anthony BROWNE (Sir)
2. George BROWNE (Sir)
3. William BROWNE
4. Thomas BROWNE
5. Jane BROWNE
6. Catherine BROWNE
7. Robert BROWNE (Sir)
Married 2: Thomas VAUGHN (Esq.) ABT 1461
Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America Before 1700 by Frederick Lewis Weis, Lines: 21-32, 74-35, 212-34 The Peerage: Thomas FitzAlan http://www.thepeerage.com/p18440.htm#i184397
- Eleanor Fitzalan1
- F, #184396
- Last Edited=17 Aug 2007
- Eleanor Fitzalan is the daughter of Sir Thomas Fitzalan.1 She married, firstly, Sir Thomas Browne circa 1431.2
- From circa 1431, her married name became Browne.
- Children of Eleanor Fitzalan and Sir Thomas Browne
- 1.Robert Browne2 b. 1435
- 2.Katherine Browne2 b. 1435
- 3.Thomas Browne2 b. 1437
- 4.Sir George Browne+1 b. 1439
- 5.William Browne2 b. 1441
- 6.Sir Anthony Browne+1 b. 29 Jun 1443, d. 19 Nov 1506
- 7.Jane Browne2 b. 1445
- 1.[S15] George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume II, page 28. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
- 2.[S2313] Rob Underhill, "re: Stanley Family," e-mail message to Darryl Roger Lundy, 9 June 2007. Hereinafter cited as "re: Stanley Family."
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p18440.htm#i184396
- A genealogical and heraldic history of the extinct and dormant baronetcies ... By John Burke, Sir Bernard Burke
- Pg. 87
- SIR ANTHONY BROWNE, created a knight of the Bath at the coronation of RICHARD II. married, and had two sons, Sir Richard, his heir, and Stephen, lord mayor of London in 1430. The elder
- SIR ROBERT BROWNE, living temp. HENRY V. was father of
- SIR THOMAS BROWNE, treasurer of the household to HENRY VI. and sheriff of Kent in 1444 and 1460. He m. Eleanor, daughter and sole heir of Sir Thomas Fitz-Alan, of Beechworth Castle, brother of John, Earl of Arundel, and had issue,
- I. GEORGE (Sir), his heir.
- II. William, whose son removed to Tavistock. This line is extinct.
- III. Robert (Sir), knt. m. Mary, daughter of Sir William Mallet, knt., and had an only daughter and heiress, Eleanor, wife, first, of Sir Thomas Fogge, and secondly, of Sir William Kempe.
- IV. Anthony (Sir), standard-bearer of England, esquire of the body, governor of Queenboro' Castle, and constable fo the castle of Calais. From this eminent person derive the LORDS MONTAGU, the heiress of which distinguished family, the Hon. ELIZABETH MARY BROWN, wedded WILLIAM STEPHEN POYNTZ, esq. M.P. (See BURKE'S Extinct Peerage and Commoners.)
- I. Catherine, m. to Humphry Sackville of Buckhurst.
- Sir Thomas was s. by his eldest son,
- SIR GEORGE BROWNE, knt. of Beechworth Castle, sheriff of Kent in 1481, who espousing the cause of the Earl of Richmond, was included in the proclamation for apprehending the Duke of Buckingham and his associates, and being soon after taken, suffered decapitation in London anno 1483. he m. Elizabeth, daughter of Sir William Pason, and widow of Richard Lord Poynings, and was s. by his son,
Eleanore FitzAlan Browne (de Arundel)'s Timeline
of Beechworth, Surrey, England
Bechworth, Surrey, England
Lincolnshire, England, United Kingdom
Bechworth, Surrey, Eng.
Brockham, Surrey, England
June 29, 1443
Bechworth Castle, Surrey, England
Bechworth, Surrey, , England
Beverley, Yorkshire, England