About Elizabeth Beers (Firman)
Elizabeth Firmin Beers (1615 - 1706), daughter of John Firmin (1588 - 1648) and Judith Bridge (1594 - 1617), was born in 1615 at Nayland, Suffolk, England; she was baptised on 27 April 1615 at Nayland; she died 16 June 1706 at Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts; her place of burial is unknown. She immigrated in 1630 with her family in the Winthrop fleet. She married Richard Beers (1607 - 1675) in Watertown, Massachusetts about 1638.
The identity of Richard Beers' wife as Elizabeth Firmin is not absolutely established, but it is suggested by Anderson who notes in his treatment of John Firmin (square brackets are from the original): "In the Boston Newsletter for June 24, 1706 is the notice of death in Watertown on 16 June of that year of 'Mrs. Elizabeth Beers (widow of Capt. John [recte Richard] Beers...) in the 92 year of her age.... She came to New England in June 1630 being then sixteen year old, and lived in New England 76 years."
This would be the right age for the Elizabeth who was baptized to John Firmin in Nayland, and her husband did acquire the estate of John Firmin. He acquired it, however, from a person who had purchased the land from the heirs of John Firmin, and we would have to assume that Richard Beers and his wife had been parties to the sale to Barnabas Fawer, and then had turned around and repurchased the land from him.
Marriage and Children
- Marriage of Elizabeth to Richard Beers circa 1638 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Sarah Beers (born 4 December 1639 Lexington, Middlesex County, Massachusetts)
- Mary Beers (born 10 March 1642 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts)
- Eleazer Beers (born 1644)
- Judith Beers (born 26 March 1646)
- Eleazar Beers (born 1650)
- Jabez Beers (born 4 August 1651)
- Elizabeth Beers (born 1655 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts)
- Elnathan Beers (born 1657 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts)
- Richard Beers (born 22 October 1659 Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts)
- Abigail Beers (born 15 April 1662)
- Find A Grave Memorial# 116377695
- Soldiers in King Philip's War: Being a Critical Account of that War, with a ... By George Madison Bodge
- RICHARD BEERS was admitted freeman at Watertown, March 9, 1637, was granted a license to "keep an ordinary" in Watertown in 1654, and continued that business during his life. He was representative to the General Court thirteen years, and selectman of Watertown thirty-one years, holding both offices at the time of his marching to Brookfield, August 6th, 1675. Before leaving home on that day he made a nuncupatory will, proved Oct. 5, 1675. He left a widow Elizabeth, and their children were Sarah, 1st, died before Oct. 10, 1639; Sarah, 2d (born probably about 1641); Mary, born March 10, 1643; Eliezur administered jointly with Capt. Richard's widow Elizabeth upon his estate in 1682, married, April 21, 1690, widow Susanna (Harrington) Cutting, and died without issue, Dec. 5, 1701; Judith, born March 26, 1646; Jabez, born August 4, 1651; Elnathan, married about 1681 Sarah Tainter; Elizabeth; Richard, born Oct. 22, 1659; and Abigail, born April, 1662. From Hull's Journal I find that Eliezur served under Capt. Cutler in 1676. Elnathan was sergeant in his father's company in the west, and afterwards served under Capt. Sill. Capt. Beers's age was probably about 63.
- A little light may be thrown upon the history of Capt. Beers by the following petition in Mass. Archives, vol. 67, page 163: .... etc.
- FURMAN, Elizabeth
- b. ABT 1615 England
- d. 16 JUN 1706 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- Marriage: 1633 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- Spouse: BEERS, Richard
- b. 1616 Gravesend, Kent, England
- d. 4 SEP 1675 Northfield, Franklin, Mass.
- BEERS, Sarah
- BEERS, Mary
- BEERS, Eleazer
- BEERS, Judith
- BEERS, Jabez
- BEERS, Elizabeth
- BEERS, Elnathan
- BEERS, Richard b. 22 OCT 1659 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- BEERS, Abigail b. 15 APR 1662 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass. d. 30 APR 1662 Watertown, Middlesex, Mass.
- From: http://www.genealogyofnewengland.com/f_fe.htm#268
Elizabeth Beers's Timeline
April 27, 1615
Nayland, Suffolk, England
April 27, 1615
Nayland, Suffolk, England
Watertown, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
December 4, 1639
Lexington, Middlesex, Massachusetts
March 10, 1642
Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA
March 26, 1646
August 4, 1651
Watertown, Middlesex Co, Massachusetts